• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

New gas struts.

800mm 800nm is this the correct stats for giving the tailgate extra clearance for our bashed up foreheads?

800mm 800nm is this the correct stats for giving the tailgate extra clearance for our bashed up foreheads?
800mm gives it the height necessary.

800N is the force it opens with. 800N is stronger/stiffer than stock but may need a push to get it the last few inches.

Many select a higher nm rating (820N, 850N...), and have a door that opens faster and needs more force to close, but will get closer to it's full opening height.

Some select a higher nm rating than that (eg 900N, 1000N). This is normally because they have a bike rack attached to the door. Occasionally it's because they want to tell their mother-in-law to put the shopping in the boot, then see her get launched into orbit.

Hope that helps.

Edit: changed nm to N so no one knows that I'm a scientifically illiterate thicko - thanks @Nevillerover 😀

Last edited:
in my experience, 820N is good. They open All the way under their own steam.
FYI it isn’t Nm as that is a rotational force, this is a straight push and is given in Newtons.

Mine are 850N which are good in summer but sometimes still need a final shove in winter. Wouldn't want much higher though as they are pretty strong when warm.

Hi. Anyone got any pointers on fitting the SGS struts? I can’t get them on with the clips in place.

Cheers

Hi. Anyone got any pointers on fitting the SGS struts? I can’t get them on with the clips in place.
The little wire clips? You take them off, pop the struts on then put back the little wire clips 👍

Ask here if you'd like a video or picture

Thanks. The video is for the struts with the black U shaped clip. The struts I have have small sliver paper clip type clip. Any advice appreciated!

The little wire clips? You take them off, pop the struts on then put back the little wire clips 👍

If
You have the same clips as me then a vid would be great thanks!

As said above take clip of put onto ball then re attach clip.
Don't do what I did tried to batter it on and damaged the internal then bought another expensive mistake.
Thanks! Maybe too late for that 😂 so does the clip go in again quote east once you’ve got them on the ball joint? Cheers

Do you have a video please. Thx

Do you have a video please. Thx
Edit: ha, glad you sorted it without the video 🤣

I made you this:

Removing and adding pin-thing from gas struts

To remove/fit the struts:

- Remove the pin
- Pop the socket onto the ball joint (or pull off the ball joint)
- Refit the pin

Once the pin is out, the sockets just pop on or off the ball joints - just give 'em a good knock.

*Important* The door WILL come crashing down as soon as you remove the first strut. It's very heavy and hurts. A lot. Don't ask me how I know...

Get someone to hold it!

Reactions: guf
I went back to SGS - they have replaced the struts

I went back to SGS - they have replaced the struts
So they replaced your rusty ones after one year but refused mine after 18 months ☹️ I will never use SGS again, very disappointed with product and response, will buy cheap ones off eBay.

Back