• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

MOT....overthinking it....

Gwilo365

Here for life
Premium Member
North West
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Not an entirely hypothetical situation....
Car goes for MOT....fails with one major defect (which I knew about). Has a few advisories, which I expected other tyres (2) but brakes also flagged.
Previous agreement with the vehicle owner, who is a friend of sorts, was that he'd sort anything it failed on specifically and do the tyres that turn out to be advisories at trade cost.
He went off on holiday before the test, one of his kids getting married at weekend somewhere fancy.

So the fail tyre has been done, as I see the test result online. The advisories however are not listed on the retest.
While I don't like to assume, I am thinking this is because they are on the first fail result?

Not going to ring him while he's marrying off a daughter to ask about it, seems touch inappropriate. Just means I'll have to contain my "excitement" over the Zafira for a few more days ( Ed note:" should that be spelt e-x-c-r-e-m-e-n-t?")

If he said he'd cover MOT fails, maybe he's done the advisories too? Brakes may have been borderline major? What were the advisories? Could have just been adjustments that were required to pass?

Advisories were two from tyres - had about 3mm left. I'd spoken with.him about those and he was going to give me call with trade/at cost tyre prices. I'd fund those, no concerns there.
Brakes and discs all round worn, but not weakened or seriously scored etc. might just be a "hey they're not brand new discs and pads" as the service history was all main stealer. So arguably not an actual issue for several thousand miles anyway. I believe Zafira's have an acoustic warning - ie squeal like a pig.
I've also read that testing stations play the statistics game as well - tooany advisories or too few and VOSA come knocking....so maybe it's simply a case of listing them once as a "compliance" sort of thing, but then listing them again on the re-test would be pointless and/or trigger something higher up the chain.
It's not a big thing, it's just my brain over thinking.

yeah the MOT bods like to see plenty of fail's and advisories :confused:

Back