• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

LPG Conversion or not?

Nah, don't bother. Use a run-around-banger during the week and save the van (and the precious fuel) for the beach on the weekend :)
I understand that point of view. It's like if a big TV that costs a lot to run in electric but which you much prefer to use rather than a little TV, you could spend all week watching stuff on the little TV and save the big screen only for, say, a Sunday night's viewing (I know TVs don't really cost a lot to run, but if they did...). But you might wish there was some way you could make the big TV cost only the same as much to run in terms of electricity bills as the little TV, then you could enjoy the big TV you shelled out for all week without it costing any more to run than the little TV. I pity those that would prefer to drive around in the car they really like but don't because they're too worried about fuel costs.

Last edited:
I understand that point of view. It's like if a big TV that costs a lot to run in electric but which you much prefer to use rather than a little TV, you could spend all week watching stuff on the little TV and save the big screen only for, say, a Sunday night's viewing (I know TVs don't really cost a lot to run, but if they did...). But you might wish there was some way you could make the big TV cost only the same as much to run in terms of electricity bills as the little TV, then you could enjoy the big TV you shelled out for all week without it costing any more to run than the little TV. I pity those that would prefer to drive around in the car they really like but don't because they're too worried about fuel costs.

You "pity those that would prefer to drive around in the car they really like but don't because they're too worried about fuel costs." Simon, many many MANY ElgrandOC members have second cars for exactly that reason, and then just choose to have their Elgrand as their luxury weekend vehicle, while using an old sh*tbox to do the mundane rat run to work.

I understand you have an invested interest in pushing the benefits of LPG on to others but I really do wish you could appreciate other peoples choices to situations without pitying all of them.

Last edited:
How long does it take to convert an Elgrand or any vehicle ?
There's about 22 hours work in converting an Elgrand for me, I usually get them done in 2 long days (late finish on 2nd day, most customers collect them on the morning of the 3rd day). I like to run some additional checks on the morning of the 3rd day anyway.

vehicles take different amounts of time... A corsa might take a day, a twin turbo V12 AMG Merc or American RV with multiple tanks slung from the chassis might take all week.

You "pity those that would prefer to drive around in the car they really like but don't because they're too worried about fuel costs." Simon, many many MANY ElgrandOC members have second cars for exactly that reason, and then just choose to have their Elgrand as their luxury weekend vehicle, while using an old sh*tbox to do the mundane rat run to work.

I understand you have an invested interest in pushing the benefits of LPG on to others but I really do wish you could appreciate other peoples choices to situations without pitying all of them.
Fair enough mate, I may have overstated a bit there.

There's about 22 hours work in converting an Elgrand for me, I usually get them done in 2 long days (late finish on 2nd day, most customers collect them on the morning of the 3rd day). I like to run some additional checks on the morning of the 3rd day anyway.

vehicles take different amounts of time... A corsa might take a day, a twin turbo V12 AMG Merc or American RV with multiple tanks slung from the chassis might take all week.
thanks that was really interesting to know

10 post spammer, we won't see them again. I doubt the avatar is really of the poster.

I think I'm much in the same mindset as Simon, I'd rather get LPG than worry about petrol costs. Worry isn't really the correct word though I don't think, as if I couldn't afford the petrol, I wouldnt have bought it. In my position, I intend on keeping the car for the foreseeable future, so even if I only do a tiny 2000 miles a year, if I own it for 6 years, I'll have saved money on fuel. On top of that, LPG Elgrands seem to hold slightly more resale value. Then there's the added bonus of being able to just get rid of all 4 cats and still be legal and remove some of the risk of engine destruction.

Is valve saver/flash lube a good idea on Elgrands?

I charge £1695 to convert E51's.

Yes, valve saver is a good idea on Elgrands, I fit them as standard on all Japanese vehicles I convert including Elgrands.

I’m thinking petrol costs, as they are now are so high that once my 6 month warranty on my newly imported HWS is up it will be straight to the garage for LPG conversion. I reckon that should bring it back down to about the running cost of the 2.0l Ford Smax I’ve upgraded from. Still a bit pricey for my everyday car but cheap enough to not justify buying another car. Did you with buying an EV for the daily miles but the second hand price on them seems to be going up and up so thinking my lovely new van is all the car I need 🙂, albeit a very expensive one till I get it converted.

I charge £1695 to convert E51's.

Yes, valve saver is a good idea on Elgrands, I fit them as standard on all Japanese vehicles I convert including Elgrands.
hi, thinking about a conversion next year, but living on the IOW what yearly maintenance to the system installed from you would be needed ? is it a DIY job or a garage to do the yearly check ?...thanks in anticipation

Some good info here.

LPG is something I want to consider when mine arrives. If I go down the LPG route I will be treating as a one off cost then just enjoy the more miles per tank. The van will not be a daily just cruising around the UK/Europe.

Am I right in thinking LPG in europe is not an issue?

Back