• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

LPG Conversion or not?

Hi First weekend I bought my I did 500 miles. Went straight back to the dealer on the Monday morning to say I couldn’t cope with 14 mpg. He’d told me I would get 25mpg at 14 I was gobsmacked. He advised he couldn’t reverse the deal or sell me anything more economical. My only option was to go LPG. Which I did at an extra cost of £1500.00 I have done 6000 Kms in 2.5 months. Fuel where I am is £9.27 per gal LPG works out at £3.33 per gal for me it’s a no brainer. Still only getting 15 mpg but 15 at £3.33 is much more acceptable Than £9.27 I actually call tech department at NGK who actually very helpful told me which plugs to use Called lpg7 £100 for set of 6 but worth it. I love driving it but I have an old E.class & an old Citroen Picasso 320000 on the merc & 234000 on the c3 both have hardly moved since I got the Elgrand. Im gonna have to get some will power & rest the Elgrand a little It’s such an addictive drive.
For me if not for LPG I guess I would maybe have parted with it. I’m still searching for ways to make more fuel efficient.
We‘d planned to just use for hols in Europe where it looks like LPG Is more widely available & cheaper than uk.
Any tips on MPG would be appreciated.

Can you give us a price on e51 3.5 2008 LPG conversion.thanks
I charge £1995 to convert standard E51's now Michael.

Simon

I keep thinking my maths is waaaay off but with it being £1 plus difference now it will take a hell of a lot less miles to start being quids in.

I keep thinking my maths is waaaay off but with it being £1 plus difference now it will take a hell of a lot less miles to start being quids in.
Paid 79.7p for LPG the other day. Compared to E10 which is about £1.90 at Morrisons or E5 which is over £2 at most (say Shell) stations, like you say that's £1 plus difference (or maybe closer to £1.20 difference) per LITRE. Which is like £4.55 to £5.34 per gallon cheaper than petrol. I have seen petrol at a bit over £2 per litre, around £10 per gallon.

• I knocked up a simple spreadsheet to help determine the break even point.
  • I didn't take account of servicing costs (which are minor) nor the fact that the engine initially runs on petrol until warm enough to switch to LPG, nor the cost of flash lube (again, a minor cost) but I wasn't after a precise figure either
  • None the less the spreadsheet showed me that, based on the fuel prices around my location at the time, I'd reach the break even point around the 14,000 mile mark.
  • View attachment 39162

We are thankful for the LPG at the minute. Found it at 60p a litre on a recent trip. Petrol was £1.90!! Ours has more than paid for itself so won't be such a loss if LPG does become obsolete.

LPG can no more become obsolete than animal waste (including human waste).

For starters they can't help but produce LPG when getting oil or gas out of the ground, or again during refining to make the natural gas that is piped to houses, or petrol and diesel.

LPG is used as a base product for manufacturing other things such as plastics.

They can make bio LPG from things such as animal waste and they can make synthetic LPG that is carbon neutral, all identical chemically and physically to the stuff you currently buy from forecourts.

Thousands of homes are heated by LPG, you can have LPG delivered in bulk to your home/farm/etc. You can have LPG delivered in exchangeable bottles to your home. You can visit a gas company depot and exchange an LPG bottle. You will still be able to do all this when petrol and diesel are no longer sold at forecourts.

Indeed ... the cars that use lPG, or Petrol or diesel will, slowly, become obsolete as we move towards alternative power, but it's not something Im going to lose sleep over at my age .... we are talking long term here .. the cost difference between Petrol\diesel and LPG is so big right now that the old rule of thumb (14,000 miles to pay back) has been reduced significantly ... I don't do big miles in mine, but it will have paid for it's self in 18 months at this rate ... and so far availability of LPG is good in the NW :)

This website shows information about electricity generation in the UK https://gridwatch.co.uk/

As I write most electricity is being produced from burning natural gas, this is a screenshot of live information I took from the Gridwatch website just now. In this screenshot Ccgt is the bar showing the amount of electricity being produced by burning gas... At this moment most electricity in the UK is being produced by burning gas - Over 3 times more electricity from burning gas than from nuclear power stations, over 5 (nearly 6) times more electricity is being produced from burning gas than from all the windfarms combined, over 3 times more than solar (and this is July).

gridwatch screenshot.jpg

Making a new vehicle produces a lot of CO2. I can convert existing vehicles to run on cleaner LPG (and they can still run on petrol). Existing vehicles have obviously already been built, they don't need to be built because they already exist, keeping them doesn't produce CO2 until we use them, changing them to a new vehicle causes a lot of CO2 to be produced before the new vehicle is even driven.

Even if all the electricity used to charge an electric vehicle were produced without burning anything (so even if charging electric vehicles released no CO2) it would take a long time before buying a new electric vehicle would result in lower CO2 emissions than it's new owner instead deciding not to buy the new EV but to continue to drive their old vehicle which has already (obviously) been built. But while they are burning gas and other things anyway to produce electricity to charge new electric vehicles it is arguably better for the environment just to adapt old vehicles to run on LPG (or even just keep them running on petrol) than it is to produce new vehicles to run on electricity produced by burning gas. I can make vehicles run on natural gas too, exactly the same stuff they burn in power stations to make electricity to charge EVs. Nuclear power is cleaner, maybe government should plan on building future nuclear power stations near the highest concentrations of EV owners lol.

The website allows you to look back at recorded information... today's average, this months, last months, this year's, last year's, etc. In all records most electricity has been produced by burning gas. Even if wind farms and solar could provide all the UK's energy we would still have to have enough gas power stations to keep supply everyone in the UK for those times when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine. Obviously there are plenty times when the sun doesn't shine, every night for starters.

If you run an EV, well done, because you're running on mostly gas. But you probably got rid of a car that had already been built to buy a new EV that was recently built and building the new EV will have created the equivalent of years worth or CO2 emissions from the car you got rid of. If you need to recharge the EV away from home and you don't have some agreed low (or free) rate for charging away from home it will probably cost you more to run per mile than running an equivalent sized vehicle on LPG. Handy to be able to refuel/recharge at home though, I could do that with LPG if I wanted but refuelling/recharging at home isn't a biggy for me when it takes only minutes to refuel with LPG at a forecourt.

Last edited:
What are the pitfalls for getting an LPG conversion, is it worthwhile doing if planning on keeping for minimum 4 years and converting to camper?
We do a eurotrip every summer, so with fuel prices decided to convert. Hopefully it will payback just in this holiday! Although we are stuck in France with our 4wd that keeps randomly coming on... So not sure if we can proceed with our trip yet...

Hi Jason @trebbledouble,
I've converted well over 250 Elgrands to LPG, including my own 2 Elgrands.
I convert them properly.
You can expect to save 40% on fuel bills.

Simon
Hi Simon my E51 is lpg I’d like the system safety check & or serviced
I’d like a more reliable gauge
How can I contact you please

Yes I was looking into this but it looks like garages are having a refit for electric and removing the lpg 😢

Back