• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

LED & Halogen bulbs

Elgranduk

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E51
My wife has a Hyundai i10 and for the past week she has been driving the Elgrand whilst waiting for pay day to purchase 4 new tyres for the upcoming MOT.

After getting back in the i10 she complained that there was something wrong with the headlights, that they were very dim.
I told her that's normal for halogens that are fitted.
Since having the Elgrands headlights restored the light output has seen a marked improvement.

Which led me to look into upgrading the H4 bulbs of the i10

LEDs seem to get mixed reviews with people saying the output dims as they warm up and that they are poor in cold weather

What are your thoughts please.

My understanding is that it is illegal to fit LED to lamps not designed for them and that in principle, insurers could use that to get out of a claim.
I did fit some to one of my LandRovers and the beam pattern was messy and blinded on-coming cars so I had to go back to bulbs.

My understanding is that it is illegal to fit LED to lamps not designed for them and that in principle, insurers could use that to get out of a claim.
I did fit some to one of my LandRovers and the beam pattern was messy and blinded on-coming cars so I had to go back to bulbs.
Thanks for that, I was thinking the same about LEDs probably do some more research on halogens

Fit a pair of Osram Night breakers, they are far superior than standard Halogens
Or Philips extreme vision depending on your preference.
A common upgrade, and a noticeable difference., recommended.
Thanks, I will check them out

It is now illegal to put leds into headlights ,as actual driving lights? ( although I’m hoping to get away with indicators)
It’s also illegal to put hid into a unit made for halogen etc ( this is to stop people putting xenon bulbs in a halogen reflector and the pattern being well out etc)
It gets very grey when a hid/projector unit is used to house the xenon in an Elgrand etc
Sorry for what’s probably useless info, if you want brighter go with the night breakers

Last edited:
Plus one for osram night breakers, have em in our mk1 fabia vrs.

Plus one for osram night breakers, have em in our mk1 fabia vrs.
Nice, My daughter has an '07 Mk1 Vrs Fabia, with the BLT engine. She is sad she has to sell it, as it's not Ulez compliant....

Yeah they are good little cars. Mine has the Asz engine, with a cheeky stage 1 map. Luckily i dont have to worrt about ulez just yet around my neck of the woods.

Looks like its Osram night breakers, then, I will order some and give them a try.

Back