• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

JAE 2015 - Family Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Absolution

Helloo,

I wanted to start this thread up as we are planning to bring our 4 year old son with us to JAE this year and wondered if anyone else that is coming are bring their kids along with them.

:)

Part of my family is my pet dog. Are dogs allowed at JAE??

I am still undecided at the moment, I might be bringing 2 of my boys, but I am unsure as to be honest, I want to spend the weekend drinking, and can't do that with the little ones around.

Yes dogs are allowed.

There are more people bringing kids, and even if not, there will be plenty to do for them. It'll be just like a camping trip with LOADS of cars.

Just a few thoughts from someone who's been many times before, this is one of the best shows of the year and I don't want anyone to ruin their experience of it.

It is a car show, not a quiet holiday campsite, there is a lot going on throughout the day but more importantly the night (past 2am) not to mention a lot of alcohol, a lot, and the odd non-legal substance will no doubt waft across the site more than once. I have taken kids for the day but I wouldn't have them stay the night, whilst this is one of the best behaved shows of the year there is still that alcohol element and people are up late making noise, horns going off, car alarms etc, unless your kids are good sleepers you could end up with some very tired grumpy kids to look after the following day which just ruins your day too. You will also want to take a lot of things for them to do otherwise they will get bored pretty quickly, after all they cant sit around chatting getting drunk like everyone else. There is also a lot of dressing up/cosplay, shall we say 'scantily clad' ladies and possibly 'scary' costumes too, up to you if anything like this is a concern to your children. To be fair I have witnessed girls at this show get told to put more clothing on as it is a family event so that side of things isn't too bad tbh.

As for dogs I would not take them, I would imagine they will need to be on a lead all the time which isn't a huge issue, but again the horns, car alarms and more importantly very loud exhaust pops and bangs that will scare dogs, if the loud noises set your dogs off barking your not going to be anyones friend, and its just not fair to have them scared anyway. There is also a late night firework show which again lots of dogs do not like, and its not a small firework show either (this might also scare some kids).

A more minor thing is that a lot of people do not have kids or pets and do not take kindly to them being near their vehicles, there is a lot of very expensive & rare stuff at this show but even your every day car owner doesn't want sticky handprints on the paintwork or a dog weeing up their wheels for example. Like I say its a very minor thing and its down to the behaviour of your own children & animals so probably doesn't affect most, you just don't want to be upsetting anyone elses weekend either, remember the owners will be full of alcohol and little things turn into big things very quickly.

A couple of warning from the website:

*Dogs and similar pets are to be kept on a leash at all times and are not to be left unattended. We reserve the right to eject any animal and owner at any time should the animal be acting in an unruly manner.

*JAE will not accept responsibility for lost or stray animals. It is your responsibility alone to find lost pets. This is particularly relevant to animals affected by fireworks

That's a very honest, well written article Simon, and Thanks for it. And of course, the people who go to these events, both exhibitors and public are enthusiasts who go, hoping for a great weekend. But sadly, as you illustrate, that's often not the case.

My wife and I used to belong to a National Metal Detecting Club, and every year we would join groups of from between a few dozen to well over a thousand other detector enthusiasts at various locations all over the UK. often camping for a full long weekend. But we dropped the big meetings.

The big meets were always the problem. And always in the evenings and through the night. Once the booze came out.

We've had guys pissing against tents, falling over guy ropes, completely comatose, vomiting everywhere, swearing, shouting between tents at 3 in the morning, and even drunken fighting. Portaloos tipped over (30 of them once) spilling excrement over farmers fields, the very farmers of course who were kind enough to give huge acres of their land willingly. Noise and ridiculously loud rave type music going on until 4 and 5am, and generators buzzing away like chain saws often for the whole weekend. And the more people drank, the worse it became.

Taking dogs, or children is fine for the day, at these sort of big events, but certainly not an option for any longer, and it's a pity, because families should be able to enjoy the weekend together too.

We just don't go to things like that anymore. And JAE sounds similar...... So thanks for the warning...... For next year. :D

Keith.

Reading about your metal detecting weekends, although I have been to many car shows exactly like that, JAE is different, I know the organisers well and they don't mess around, if theres real trouble then your out, again the value of the vehicles on display there is actually a lot of respect amongst the owners, while an element of what you describe does happen I don't want people to think JAE is too similar to that.

Loud music will have to be turned down usually by 10-11pm (I cant remember) but of course people don't listen after a few beers and it creeps up now and again, its usually the car alarms & revving etc that is the most annoying when you are trying to sleep and yes generators are allowed to run all night through. People will be returning from the Disco around 2am so there will be a noise fluctuation then too.

I am still planning to go with my 8 year old boy. Never been before and am really hoping it won't be too bad... However, I went to Japshow at santapod this year and camped on the Saturday night. I'll be honest, the event was great but the noise and idiots at night really was awful.

Maybe, I'm just getting old and I'm sure it would be different if I didn't have a child with me but I don't think I'd do it again either way. Unfortunately that experience has also made me question whether or not to go to JAE too.

I was thinking about bringing my dog this year but without a suitable hiding place for him for when it gets noisy I don't think I will...

In all the years I've been doing JAE I've never seen any trouble. Even the very drunk are there to have fun :)

But more importantly...

I can't believe I've seen these two sentences in the same post..

'National metal detecting club' and '4-5am Raves'

:D :D

Madfish said:
I can't believe I've seen these two sentences in the same post..

'National metal detecting club' and '4-5am Raves'

:D :D

I was thinking the same thing - shall we go halves on a metal detector? :rofl:

I wouldn't bother guys. £1500 for anything half decent, hundred quid or so to attend, out in all weathers.....covered in mud, finding sweet pig all, except complete scrap 'sown' by dodgy organisers, who will swear blind the ground's never been detected before, and then kept awake all night by morons...... NAH! :lol:

Can think of far better ways of having fun. :D

I have one and a quadcopta Drone, Ive got to have something to play with when i aint busy. Thats my excuse and im sticking to it.

Just go and enjoy blingo i to was at the pod my 9 year old loved it was tired next day but he cant wait to go again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back