• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Image Magick - Auto Resize Pictures (Premium Members Only)

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
As all of you know (or should do), one of the benefits of being a premium member of ElgrandOC is that you can upload images directly to the forum (wahoo!). This negates the need to use a third party hosting site such as tinypic or photobucket.

Now... the biggest problem with this has been that the file size is capped at 1mb. This means, if you take a snap on your fancy smart phone and try to upload it, chances are you have a 12mp camera (or more) and pictures are set to take in full pixel quality. This means 99% of the pictures you take on your phone exceed the 1mb limit, which means that to be able to upload, you first have to resize the image using another app which becomes frustrating and tiresome.

Well, this is NO MORE! Our wonderful host has just installed Image Magick for us, this has enabled me to switch on the "auto resize" feature. What this does, is it takes an image and auto downsizes it to 800x800 pixels MAX, which will be WELL below the maximum file size.

The best bit is, you don't need to do anything (unless you have a 20mp plus camera, which I don't think smartphones have yet!). All you need to do is take your picture, click "upload file" and let the website do the rest. This will reduce file size on the server, decrease page loading times and make it easier for you guys to add pictures to your messages.

I have tested it, and it works. So, happy snapping guys! Sharing pics on here will almost be as easy as it is on Facebook now!

Brilliant, I kept having to downsize photos taken on phone first before uploading, so more step in the right direction. Cheers bud

@Karl , I automatically add all my photos to Flickr so posting code & links here is easy, but would you prefer I uploaded them via the site's own system?

Thats good news

Another great move to forward the abilities of the forum.
Good news just keeps on coming.

@Karl , I automatically add all my photos to Flickr so posting code & links here is easy, but would you prefer I uploaded them via the site's own system?

Use whatever method you prefer mate. I've done this to make people's life easier. If you find using Flickr easier, then just roll with that dude. Totally up to you.

Back