• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

How are our Elgrands protected at sea during shipping?

Charlie Fowler

Premium Member
London
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
It just occurred to me that our Elgrands spend quite a few weeks at sea (in containers?) Does this impact the likelihood of corrosion? How are they protected?
I’m quite sure that this is daft question.

Charlie

As long as damned Houtis don't sink the ship we may never know

It just occurred to me that our Elgrands spend quite a few weeks at sea (in containers?) Does this impact the likelihood of corrosion? How are they protected?
I’m quite sure that this is daft question.

Charlie
Think you answered your own question. They are in containers

Think you answered your own question. They are in containers
Thank you, Reverend. I just didn’t know how weatherproof these containers really are. But given how many items are imported every day, I’m quite sure it’s all been thought of!

Thank you, Reverend. I just didn’t know how weatherproof these containers really are. But given how many items are imported every day, I’m quite sure it’s all been thought of!
Yeah they are pretty weatherproof. Certainly enough to keep out rain and sea spray while in transit.

Thank you, Reverend. Have a good weekend

So far as I’ve seen they are roll on roll off shipping - vehicles are not usually in container's.
If you get an uncovered position on the deck the vehicle is coated in crud and almost undrivable.IMG_4476.jpeg
IMG_4475.jpeg

Joking aside, they usually make it over here in as good a condition as they were in Japan etc
Thank you, Dave. If my father were still alive I’d ask him - he was the chairman of “K” Line in the UK! But he was absolutely bereft of technical know-how! You should have seen him trying to mend a leaking pipe with sellotape!!

I think most would agree, that any shipped vehicle open to the elements, is still better than the years of crap on our roads.
When you take it for an MOT all say how clean they are.
Yes, of course - I think I’m just overthinking it somewhat. I’ll soon find out - seeing the car this week!
Thank you
Charlie

Didn't one of the dealers posted a photo of how their Elgrands were packed in a container a while ago?

Didn't one of the dealers posted a photo of how their Elgrands were packed in a container a while ago?
Yes, I remember seeing how the car was strapped in, I think.

Bulk importers definitely use roll on roll off car transporting ships. They effectively circle the globe and spaces just get booked on. If you look at the export ports in japan all the cars are lined up dockside ready to be driven straight on, they don't go in containers. They are left dockside unlocked with the keys in the ignition. I have been told a lot of things go missing from them dockside, such as spare keys, remote controls, etc unless the exporter hides them somewhere before they get to the bonded port area.

If you look up the Port of Nagoya in Japan o
googke you can see the thousands of cars waiting to be driven onto the waiting ships.

Screenshot_20240309_142240_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_142359_Maps.jpg

If you look up the Port of Nagoya in Japan o
googke you can see the thousands of cars waiting to be driven onto the waiting ships.

View attachment 99090
View attachment 99092
Tim, thank you for all this information. It's not exactly the best news but I suppose the system works well enough - plenty of super condition Elgrands over here. I view the car this week (due in UK on Monday) so I'll post my findings.
Have a good weekend.

Charlie

Update:
I have spoken to David at Goodmayes today and he told me that his cars are shipped in containers - two in each one. My proposed purchase is due in this week so hopefully I will see it over the weekend.

Update:
I have spoken to David at Goodmayes today and he told me that his cars are shipped in containers - two in each one. My proposed purchase is due in this week so hopefully I will see it over the weekend.
like a kid waiting for Christmas day :D

Back