• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Headlight cleaning....

sg66

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Elgrand
E51
Got a Maguire's kit from Halfords, half way through, think next time I would just use da sander disks and buy protector.

It's an improvement on what it was but still some marks in the plastic.

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_120643605~2.jpg
    PXL_20240407_120643605~2.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240407_120649185.jpg
    PXL_20240407_120649185.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240407_120653930.jpg
    PXL_20240407_120653930.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 25
Got a Maguire's kit from Halfords, half way through, think next time I would just use da sander disks and buy protector.

It's an improvement on what it was but still some marks in the plastic.
I used the Maguire's paint polish on my headlights with my polishing mop thing. does a good job.

If you use an 800 grit wet and dry by hand - those ice state marks will come out.

Then add your polish from the kit as you did before.

If the grit is too harsh or gets warm the grit bites/burns into the plastic.

I would leave it now as it is a strong 8 out of 10 and in 3 to 4 months time you will be doing it again.

👍

and in 3 to 4 months time you will be doing it again.
Might depend on what last protection product (LPP) you put on them. Mine were okay in fairness, but I used g3 scratch remover with a small wax applicator pad and improved them further. I put farecla g3 supergloss paste wax (which I've found gives pretty good longevity on cars as a wax/sealant) to finish, and 6 months on they're fine. I'd guess if I gave them a quick go over with the g3 supergloss paste wax every 6 months, they might not need doing again.

I had similar with a Swift Sport '08 plate I used to have. I got those up a treat in fairness, and they never needed doing again in the 2 or so years after, when I just topped up the wax fairly regularly.

If you use an 800 grit wet and dry by hand - those ice state marks will come out.

Then add your polish from the kit as you did before.

If the grit is too harsh or gets warm the grit bites/burns into the plastic.

I would leave it now as it is a strong 8 out of 10 and in 3 to 4 months time you will be doing it again.

👍
I used some 120 then 600 then 1500 on the other side to get some scratches out of it.

Deffo random da next time I can go slow and apply lots of water 😁

I've ordered a tin of Maguire's keep clear spray, will put a pic up when I get them done then take a couple over the coming yr to see how it lasts.

Its all about UV protection, so i figured this would do a good job...i will let the Elgrand masses now how it performs.

IMG_2091.jpeg

Smells nice too.

It arrived, then I discovered I could have got that from Halfords, trade card took £7 off the cleaning kit

Back