• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Going to look at and test drive a E52, what should I be looking at?

kv1

Active Newbie
South West
Messages
32
Reaction score
42
Points
18
Location
South west
First Name
Kv
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South West
I'm not mechanical minded, it's a dealer that's offering it with new MOT and service. 6 months warranty.

What should I be asking and looking at? Only thing scaring me is the CVT gear box.

Please help a mechanically minded idiot

Thank you
 
The Achilles heel of the E52 is the CVT transmission. Make sure it's been properly serviced with genuine oil at the correct intervals. Any sign of gear select or traction issues then run away.
 
The Achilles heel of the E52 is the CVT transmission. Make sure it's been properly serviced with genuine oil at the correct intervals. Any sign of gear select or traction issues then run away.
Silly question, how would I know this? I think it's a fresh import as it's not even been under sealed and everything up till now would be in Japanese.
 
If it has the service history book with it then it will be recorded there. You could also buy a Car VX report which will show up any issues during its life in Japan.
 
O
If it has the service history book with it then it will be recorded there. You could also buy a Car VX report which will show up any issues during its life in Japan.
Cheers, I didn't realise that did that. I'll look in to that.
 
what should I be looking at?

An E51 ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: kv1
@AnthonyUK Let's say I have a look also at a E51 what should I look at with them? Also what is the cat problem on E51?
 
@AnthonyUK Let's say I have a look also at a E51 what should I look at with them? Also what is the cat problem on E51?

I would start with this great guide - LINK

There are also some posts regarding the Cat issues in the FAQ section.
Most have been decored to remove the threat of them becoming a problem.
 
There are also some major differences in the role the thing plays. The E52 is primarily a luxury people carrier with some flexibility with space, whereas the E51 is a cavernous luxury Mpv that has far more flexibility imho. It really depends on what you want from a vehicle. I'm not a fan of the E52, especially with a fragile CVT, so hand on heart I'm biased....
 
Back
Top