• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fitting middle seat 2nd row.

OK so update, I've spent an hour messing around with the installation and it's 95% done šŸ‘šŸ¼. 4 bolts a 2 springs to attach and the middle seat will be back in the bus šŸ˜œ.

Massive thank you to everyone that helped.

The seat has now been reinstalled and it's actually a pretty straight forward process.

I've taken pictures of each stage, if anyone needs help feel free to contact me šŸ‘Œ.

The seat has now been reinstalled and it's actually a pretty straight forward process.

I've taken pictures of each stage, if anyone needs help feel free to contact me šŸ‘Œ.
yes please! all the help you can give I'm trying to reinstall for the weekend and have no idea how to slot them in

Your have to lift the rails up . Thereā€™s a bolt that holds a metal cap on the end of the rails.. remove that and then you can slide the runners into the rail.. use a screw driver to lift the locking mechanism.. once you have the runners in replace the locking bolt and clamp and redux the rail to the floor .. fitting the seats to the runners is straight forward itā€™s getting the Z linkage from the seat to the locking mechanism on runners is a bit tricky ..
how do you get the hook to reconnect? i was at it for ages and still couldnt get them in fully....

how do you get the hook to reconnect? i was at it for ages and still couldnt get them in fully....
Iā€™m memory serves me right get the bottom part on first then push the top bit into the plastic holder on the seat ..

Great write up and photos are very useful thanks. Still took me ages to get the seat reinstalled tho :oops: Myfeedback for the uninitiated is to make sure the locking mechansim is aligned and working/tightened BEFORE you try to slide it in otherwise you'll be in for a world of pain and have to take it all out again - if its not jammed permanently lol :joy:

well, im trying to do the reverse process, which is to take the middle seat OUT - i was thinking of doing it by unbolting the seat and leaving the runners in place, but starting to think it might be easier to slide the whole kit'n'kaboodle out. is there anyway I can get a hold of those pictures, Im sure they'd be a big help!

well, im trying to do the reverse process, which is to take the middle seat OUT - i was thinking of doing it by unbolting the seat and leaving the runners in place, but starting to think it might be easier to slide the whole kit'n'kaboodle out. is there anyway I can get a hold of those pictures, Im sure they'd be a big help!
You wonā€™t be able to slide out the runners without releasing the rails and taking the stop pin out of the end of them ..

Well, thought Iā€™d add my findings to the thread in case it helps any future folks. We have just purchased an E51 and the middle seats and runners were removed, similar to Croxyā€™s scenario. Following the advice I found in this thread I spent last eve putting the runners and seats back in. Fun! Not horrible, but not great either.

First thing of note, there are several bolts holding the rails to the floor. I mean it makes sense, but couldnā€™t find any beyond the very end one, so just figured they were held down with magic or something. It wasnā€™t until my 3rd runner that I found another bolt about 10ā€ away on the side of the rail tucked tightly under the carpet. That made it a whole bunch easier to pry them up to get the runner in.

The next learning was a doozy though. While putting the first of the two seats in I didnā€™t know which one went in which side, so after looking around at some pictures online and the manual, I found that the back/slider adjuster lever and the arm rest go toward the door. Perfect. But when I did that I realized the seats are offset to one side and in order to get mine cantilevered toward the door I had to put the arm rest toward the middle. Which made a bit of sense because the front seats have their arms rests toward the middle. All good. But didnā€™t feel right. Took me a looonnng time this eve over a couple more hours, swapping the seats again, and then back again, and then back again (donā€™t ask, it was a long night!) to realize that the previous owner spun the seats backwards before he removed them. So once I put them in rear-facing it all fell into place. But suffice it to say, Iā€™m getting pretty good at attaching those damn Z-rods!!

Well, thought Iā€™d add my findings to the thread in case it helps any future folks. We have just purchased an E51 and the middle seats and runners were removed, similar to Croxyā€™s scenario. Following the advice I found in this thread I spent last eve putting the runners and seats back in. Fun! Not horrible, but not great either.

First thing of note, there are several bolts holding the rails to the floor. I mean it makes sense, but couldnā€™t find any beyond the very end one, so just figured they were held down with magic or something. It wasnā€™t until my 3rd runner that I found another bolt about 10ā€ away on the side of the rail tucked tightly under the carpet. That made it a whole bunch easier to pry them up to get the runner in.

The next learning was a doozy though. While putting the first of the two seats in I didnā€™t know which one went in which side, so after looking around at some pictures online and the manual, I found that the back/slider adjuster lever and the arm rest go toward the door. Perfect. But when I did that I realized the seats are offset to one side and in order to get mine cantilevered toward the door I had to put the arm rest toward the middle. Which made a bit of sense because the front seats have their arms rests toward the middle. All good. But didnā€™t feel right. Took me a looonnng time this eve over a couple more hours, swapping the seats again, and then back again, and then back again (donā€™t ask, it was a long night!) to realize that the previous owner spun the seats backwards before he removed them. So once I put them in rear-facing it all fell into place. But suffice it to say, Iā€™m getting pretty good at attaching those damn Z-rods!!
Hi, good post, could you share your technique on fitting the Z rods, I ā€˜ve had trouble with them.Also can we buy the end clips and the plastic elbows ? Do we need a special tool. Does anyone have some spare plasters? Ouch !
Dave E51 Bristol.

Hi, good post, could you share your technique on fitting the Z rods, I ā€˜ve had trouble with them.Also can we buy the end clips and the plastic elbows ? Do we need a special tool. Does anyone have some spare plasters? Ouch !
Dave E51 Bristol.
I can try! I found some of the Z rods slipped in easily and others were a bit of a nightmare. I tried putting the z-clip in first before bolting the seats in (didnā€™t work great). I tried putting the bottom of the clip in first then trying to fit it into the plastic elbow (didnā€™t work). For the really tough ones I had the most success by using a c-clamp to press them in. I had a little nylon spacer (a nut would work) that allowed the z-rod end to push through without hitting the c-clamp. I also found that a long 16ā€ flathead screwdriver worked to flex the mechanism into alignment with the z-clips.

Soā€¦.no magic bullet. Itā€™s tedious but you can get there.

I donā€™t know about buying the little elbow clips (I did break one so may have to purchase one one day if it doesnā€™t stay put). I think I saw on this site some mention if companies that supply aftermarket Elgrand parts though.

Hope that helps!

Thanks mate, I ll give it a go!

thanks for this info , helped me a lot

Back