• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

First time buyer E51 Series 3 vs Series 2 options

Roadtrip

Premium Member
South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Hi all, I'm currently researching my first Elgrand purchase (probably via auction using a UK importer) and gradually narrowing down my wish list whilst trying to work out whether I can achieve a combination of features on a Series 3 ideally, or if it's more sensible to opt for Series 2, or whether I'm being totally unrealistic!

Current thinking/dilemma:
- Definitely want gunmetal grey exterior, 3.5L, 4WD, auction grade 4+ , half leather interior, twin electric side doors, ideally 360 camera, heated front screen, electric curtains, no sunroof (will convert with pop top in future), also ideally the more "matt" solid wood colour dash/trim areas that I've seen in some S2 (left hand photo) but is it available in S3 (right hand photo, more shiny/reflective in reality which i don't like)?

eb6085a9-ccdc-44ff-a1f3-91dec505f44e.JPG IMG_8980.JPG

- So I'm thinking perhaps a Series 3 because it will always be a slightly newer vehicle but from what I've heard there doesn't seem to be a huge difference/improvement mechanically or from a driving point of view compared to S2? Also can you actually get the half leather seats with the interior dash bits and other options I'd like? Someone mentioned it's only the full leather option which has all the extra features.

- I definitely prefer the front grille of S3 (right hand photo) but I believe this could be obtained and fitted onto an S2 (left hand photo) without too much trouble?

Series 2.jpg Series 3.jpg

- I am aware of the whole radio/head unit issue with S3 and part of me isn't too worried IF there is a good solution. I've read a post on the forum and seen a video where it's possible for around £1000 although it's not perfect and you lose some functions such as MPG and air temp. Will a better option come to light in the future, jury is out on that one!

- My brain is telling me stick to S2 and someone from an import company said he would personally do the same as the S3 doesn't warrant the extra money but the other part of me feels happier with a newer model. And as I'm hoping to eventually convert the van perhaps I shouldn't place too much emphasis on the interior options (as another member has said in another post), but I would still be interested to know from anyone if it's actually possible to get the combination I like.

Apologies for the essay, I just needed to empty my brain and this is the result! Any thoughts and experience on any of the above from you guys, especially those who have perhaps gone through a similar dilemma and now know the facts would be greatly appreciated :)

Mat

Attachments

• eb6085a9-ccdc-44ff-a1f3-91dec505f44e.JPG
    eb6085a9-ccdc-44ff-a1f3-91dec505f44e.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 60
My only comment would be not to worry too much about the age of the vehicle. If you find a good one it will be in top condition. Mines a series 1 and looks about 3 years old. I'd go for a 2 rather than a 3 mainly because there is more choice and a simpler job to upgrade.

Agree about the S2 being easier to convert audio wise. I've seen mixed views of the S3 system, some say very good quality and others suggest not as good a sound as they were hoping and it would likely leave the £1000 English translation and a change of speakers as the only upgrade option.

Think the heated front screen is only under the wipers and not the whole screen, so might not be such a must have.

Also while electric curtains are a nice novelty you need the ignition on to operate them and so usually used manually in a camper conversion. You can get very good retro fit manual curtains, have a look for Terry Wong on FB to get an idea of those.

You probably realise but you can convert sunroof cars to pop tops but theres an added cost involved.

Just thought I'd mention these points incase a van with the right basic spec and colour/interior happens along as having too narrow a wish list can make them difficult to find.

Didn't change much on the S3 other than some software that like you said makes it a bit of a pig... although you do get the nice grill... BUT the most important thing you decided on is the colour 🤪 🙌
View attachment 43623
Thanks, that’s “almost” what I’m looking for externally 😉

My only comment would be not to worry too much about the age of the vehicle. If you find a good one it will be in top condition. Mines a series 1 and looks about 3 years old. I'd go for a 2 rather than a 3 mainly because there is more choice and a simpler job to upgrade.
Good point thanks, I’ve been back and forth a few times in my mind so good to hear other’s opinions. I think the S1 front grille is really neat by the way 👌

Agree about the S2 being easier to convert audio wise. I've seen mixed views of the S3 system, some say very good quality and others suggest not as good a sound as they were hoping and it would likely leave the £1000 English translation and a change of speakers as the only upgrade option.

Think the heated front screen is only under the wipers and not the whole screen, so might not be such a must have.

Also while electric curtains are a nice novelty you need the ignition on to operate them and so usually used manually in a camper conversion. You can get very good retro fit manual curtains, have a look for Terry Wong on FB to get an idea of those.

You probably realise but you can convert sunroof cars to pop tops but theres an added cost involved.

Just thought I'd mention these points incase a van with the right basic spec and colour/interior happens along as having too narrow a wish list can make them difficult to find.
Much appreciated Lize, some useful notes for my research there 👍
Happy to take all the advice I can get right now and I understand there may be concessions to make on some of the options but the minor OCD in me can’t help but ask if the impossible is out there first!

I think the series 2 represents better value for money, with very little difference in spec. Also, a series 3 grille will fit straight on a series 2 .
Both are very good, whichever way you decide.
Regards Adrian

I think the series 2 represents better value for money, with very little difference in spec. Also, a series 3 grille will fit straight on a series 2 .
Both are very good, whichever way you decide.
Regards Adrian
Cheers Adrian, you were actually recommended to me as a contact by Stefan from Shore Campers who I rented a van from recently. I was planning to give you a call for a chat in the next day or 2 if you don’t mind.
Mat

Cheers Adrian, you were actually recommended to me as a contact by Stefan from Shore Campers who I rented a van from recently. I was planning to give you a call for a chat in the next day or 2 if you don’t mind.
Mat
Yes that’s fine. 07753 325356. Regards, Adrian.

Hi all, I'm currently researching my first Elgrand purchase (probably via auction using a UK importer) and gradually narrowing down my wish list whilst trying to work out whether I can achieve a combination of features on a Series 3 ideally, or if it's more sensible to opt for Series 2, or whether I'm being totally unrealistic!

- Definitely want gunmetal grey exterior, 3.5L, 4WD, auction grade 4+ , half leather interior, twin electric side doors, ideally 360 camera, heated front screen, electric curtains, no sunroof (will convert with pop top in future), also ideally the more "matt" solid wood colour dash/trim areas that I've seen in some S2 (left hand photo) but is it available in S3 (right hand photo, more shiny/reflective in reality which i don't like)?

View attachment 43619 View attachment 43618

- So I'm thinking perhaps a Series 3 because it will always be a slightly newer vehicle but from what I've heard there doesn't seem to be a huge difference/improvement mechanically or from a driving point of view compared to S2? Also can you actually get the half leather seats with the interior dash bits and other options I'd like? Someone mentioned it's only the full leather option which has all the extra features.

- I definitely prefer the front grille of S3 (right hand photo) but I believe this could be obtained and fitted onto an S2 (left hand photo) without too much trouble?

View attachment 43621 View attachment 43622

- I am aware of the whole radio/head unit issue with S3 and part of me isn't too worried IF there is a good solution. I've read a post on the forum and seen a video where it's possible for around £1000 although it's not perfect and you lose some functions such as MPG and air temp. Will a better option come to light in the future, jury is out on that one!

- My brain is telling me stick to S2 and someone from an import company said he would personally do the same as the S3 doesn't warrant the extra money but the other part of me feels happier with a newer model. And as I'm hoping to eventually convert the van perhaps I shouldn't place too much emphasis on the interior options (as another member has said in another post), but I would still be interested to know from anyone if it's actually possible to get the combination I like.

Apologies for the essay, I just needed to empty my brain and this is the result! Any thoughts and experience on any of the above from you guys, especially those who have perhaps gone through a similar dilemma and now know the facts would be greatly appreciated :)

Mat
Thank you for this post & response. I have similar dilema & most concerns/question are answered.

View attachment 43619 View attachment 43618

View attachment 43621 View attachment 43622

Mat
Hi, I am having issues trying to decipher the differences between series 1, 2 & 3, is anyone able to point me to where i may find a list of differences for each model?
Thanks

Had a series 2 loved it and now have a series 3 love it. My advice go for the nicer condition one. If it is the series 2 it's right it is a lot easier to change the audio system. However there is ways round the japanese system in the series 3 dependent on budget. For example in my series 3 I have all my tunes on a compact flash card and I use my phone for sat nav and my phone is connected to the Bluetooth system, and if you get Google translate on your phone it doesn't take that long to get to know how to navigate round the system. Hope this helps.

Hi, I am having issues trying to decipher the differences between series 1, 2 & 3, is anyone able to point me to where i may find a list of differences for each model?
Thanks

I was in a similar position around which model to go for but due to my area becoming a ULEZ zone next year I find myself leaning towards a Series 3. May not affect you at all but it is something to consider.

I was in a similar position around which model to go for but due to my area becoming a ULEZ zone next year I find myself leaning towards a Series 3. May not affect you at all but it is something to consider.
Thanks, have you managed to find a place whereby you can easily see the spec difference of 1/2/3? I am struggling to understand the difference? I appreciate that it is based on years, but if I find a 2007 how do i know if it is S2 or 3? thanks

Had a series 2 loved it and now have a series 3 love it. My advice go for the nicer condition one. If it is the series 2 it's right it is a lot easier to change the audio system. However there is ways round the japanese system in the series 3 dependent on budget. For example in my series 3 I have all my tunes on a compact flash card and I use my phone for sat nav and my phone is connected to the Bluetooth system, and if you get Google translate on your phone it doesn't take that long to get to know how to navigate round the system. Hope this helps.
Series 3 has a great stereo system, MusicBox is my main source and have 150 CDs loaded onto it, but I also use the Compact Flash card for mp3s. Bluetooth audio also works well and The AV input works too. I use iPhone maps for GPS, not sure why people don't like the S3 stereo. For me it has everything I need.

Series 3 has a great stereo system, MusicBox is my main source and have 150 CDs loaded onto it, but I also use the Compact Flash card for mp3s. Bluetooth audio also works well and The AV input works too. I use iPhone maps for GPS, not sure why people don't like the S3 stereo. For me it has everything I need.
Me too it does every thing I need plus more. Plus about 80 percent of the tech is for Japan so once you've learnt the bits that you need, which is still an awful lot, it's great. I love my series 3.

Thanks, have you managed to find a place whereby you can easily see the spec difference of 1/2/3? I am struggling to understand the difference? I appreciate that it is based on years, but if I find a 2007 how do i know if it is S2 or 3? thanks
Wiki has some good into on the model and series changes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Elgrand

The spec is an entirely different thing though as it seems each version, Rider, Highway Star, XL etc could then be customised by the first owner so it could have leather on a base model, sunroofs or curtains or better stereo where you wouldn't expect.

For visuals I tell the different between S2 and S3 by the front grill, picking two options at random from Gumtree below, the S2 has fewer but thicker horizontal bars, whereas the S3 has more thinner bars.

S2
https://www.gumtree.com/p/Nissan/2005-05-Nissan-Elgrand-3.5-highway-star-auto-8-seats/1409472163

S3
https://www.gumtree.com/p/Nissan/20...star-4wd-3.5-v6-auto-8-seats-leath/1408095236

The AV input, compact flash and Bluetooth… all standard and easy enough to set up? The Bluetooth works like it would in any normal call for making calls or just audio? Cheers.

hi, old thread but whats the view now with series 2 or series 3? I am being told that the series 3 language issue can be solved by a firmware update?

Back