• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Ensuring the Future of EOC - 10 Post Rule

I can't understand all the fuss, if people don't want to make posts then £1 a month is really good value for money. Not only is there technical information available but also a raft of owners with personal experience who are pleased to offer their advices.

A new Haynes manual is normally £22.99 discounted on their site to £16.99 and the modern ones are pants anyway.
Too many folk these days my dear are just tight as a ducks backside and want something for nothing all the time. I blame Blair and the Labour government TBH.:p

No idea what your on about and I certainly aint bothered by anything your saying TBH as its currently not applicable to anything on this forum. I personally think you along with a few others are just over here from that den of inequity called Face book intent on causing trouble for the sake of it with absolutely no intention of contributing positively to this club/forum in any way other than to disrupt it. If banter is not your thing may I suggest you join the W.I:D
I’ll leave it at that Brendan... your “it’s only banter” wins every time.

Calm down everyone.

This is not a pissing competition.

@Dazzafact, you have made some valid points but you need to see things from the administration point of view.

We made a promise that the club would always be free. We are now experiencing the problem of success.

We are not going to advertise, it goes against our ethos. We want people to go and find their own products through recommendations, not because someone is paying us to advertise their products.

We want people to get involved. We're a community designed to help other members of the community. If you're not a part of it, why should we help?

We are not forcing anyone to pay to join, it's just a shortcut for anyone who doesn't want to be a part of the club. If they want the info, but don't want to join in, they can pay a nominal fee.

If they want to be a part of the community, join in with discussions and go to meets or events, then they can get access for free. No issues.

You've argued about it, and managed 10 posts just by arguing your point. You have not damaged your future here at all by having an opinion, we like that people are opinionated and can share things.

Thank you for your suggestion of using advertising, but it's not an option we are willing to look at as said above.

If you have any other suggestions of how we can make the donations we get from premium members open to the world without causing issues with the future of the club, please let us know.

But this is the best solution we have come up with between us. We have received a LOT of support on the decision, and very little opposition.

But as I've said, you've already hit 10 posts just by sharing your thoughts. It's not hard to hit 10. You've become a known member of the community, and I am sure you will have many an opportunity to help with future changes of the club.

the problem is, I, along with many others, do not live online, my life is not online, I have a very busy lifestyle with work, after hours work, and a family to support, I drop on the forums maybe once or twice a month to see whats what, when I have the time to get on my laptop, I'm only on now because I got the email and couldn't open it on my phone, thatll be me now till next month as I'm off to build cool shit in my shed. laters
A genuine question I hope you don't mind me asking, what is the main reason you became a member on this site ? would you say it was to find a solution or sort out any problems you have or could have in the future with your Elgrand ? You have already explained you lead a very busy life and as many of us also and don't live on a computer 24/7 but do come on the site once or twice a month to see whats what. Obviously it's not to participate in any general threads. You mention that you have come off other forums because of similar site rules, If you had major problems with your Ellie would you not be happy to participate or if you felt it was worth it contribute to the running of this site ? I've had no major problems with my bus but have found the info I've needed at various times to be invaluable and wouldn't have had a clue where to have found the info elsewhere. Everyone has a right to be on a forum for whatever reason but I'm just intrigued as to your reason due to your response to the new forum rules.

Last edited:
A genuine question I hope you don't mind me asking, what is the main reason you became a member on this site ? would you say it was to find a solution or sort out any problems you have or could have in the future with your Elgrand ? You have already explained you lead a very busy life and as many of us also and don't live on a computer 24/7 but do come on the site once or twice a month to see whats what. Obviously it's not to participate in any general threads. You mention that you have come off other forums because of similar site rules, If you had major problems with your Ellie would you not be happy to participate or if you felt it was worth it contribute to the running of this site ? I've had no major problems with my bus but have found the info I've needed to be at various times to be invaluable and wouldn't have had a clue where to have found the info elsewhere. Everyone has a right to be on a forum for whatever reason but I'm just intrigued as to your reason due to your response to the new forum rules.
Well said Alan. :p

Calm down everyone.

This is not a pissing competition.

@Dazzafact, you have made some valid points but you need to see things from the administration point of view.

We made a promise that the club would always be free. We are now experiencing the problem of success.

We are not going to advertise, it goes against our ethos. We want people to go and find their own products through recommendations, not because someone is paying us to advertise their products.

We want people to get involved. We're a community designed to help other members of the community. If you're not a part of it, why should we help?

We are not forcing anyone to pay to join, it's just a shortcut for anyone who doesn't want to be a part of the club. If they want the info, but don't want to join in, they can pay a nominal fee.

If they want to be a part of the community, join in with discussions and go to meets or events, then they can get access for free. No issues.

You've argued about it, and managed 10 posts just by arguing your point. You have not damaged your future here at all by having an opinion, we like that people are opinionated and can share things.

Thank you for your suggestion of using advertising, but it's not an option we are willing to look at as said above.

If you have any other suggestions of how we can make the donations we get from premium members open to the world without causing issues with the future of the club, please let us know.

But this is the best solution we have come up with between us. We have received a LOT of support on the decision, and very little opposition.

But as I've said, you've already hit 10 posts just by sharing your thoughts. It's not hard to hit 10. You've become a known member of the community, and I am sure you will have many an opportunity to help with future changes of the club.
I think I understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. My only concern is that there be some way of measuring any effect, good or bad that this change in policy may have. It would be very interesting to see how the number of members has grown over the last few years up until now and see what happens in the future. If membership does not continue to grow, or goes down, it may be due to it being just a little bit more difficult to use the Forum, than in the past. I agree with many people who have said that 12 pounds is fantastic value for money for Premium membership, and for anyone who wants to make regular use of the Forum, its a must. The mix if technical information and, lets face it, silly banter, that the Forum offers is great for people looking for help with their cars and those just wanting to socialize and have a bit of fun. I hope the it continues to grow and look forward to the opportunity to meet some of the members in person in the future.

I don't think I will ever post enough to be a fully fledged member of the ElgrandOC, although I do sometimes try. Sadly, I don't think my knowledge or insight would be very beneficial to other members - and if I'm honest you're all a little bit scary!! :p :joy:
However, my experience as a new Elgrand owner would have been so very different without this amazing resource. This forum was what encouraged us to import our Elgrand from Japan (although not brave enough to do it without an agent) and as a result we have the lovely vehicle that we drive today. The forum has continued to be an amazing resource on all things Elgrand, and I am happy to become a Premium member. I hope the forum will continue for years to come!!

I don't think I will ever post enough to be a fully fledged member of the ElgrandOC, although I do sometimes try. Sadly, I don't think my knowledge or insight would be very beneficial to other members - and if I'm honest you're all a little bit scary!! :p:joy:
However, my experience as a new Elgrand owner would have been so very different without this amazing resource. This forum was what encouraged us to import our Elgrand from Japan (although not brave enough to do it without an agent) and as a result we have the lovely vehicle that we drive today. The forum has continued to be an amazing resource on all things Elgrand, and I am happy to become a Premium member. I hope the forum will continue for years to come!!
We are Scary!!! Think yourself lucky your not in with those FB weirdos.:p:eek:

I don't think I will ever post enough to be a fully fledged member of the ElgrandOC, although I do sometimes try. Sadly, I don't think my knowledge or insight would be very beneficial to other members - and if I'm honest you're all a little bit scary!! :p:joy:

But you have made 44 post so far so are a fully fledged member mate. It's not about knowledge, it's about contributing, that can mean putting a link up for a new comer to see how you fit a new stereo, or giving your opinion on a set of wheels, or having a rant in the wtf thread. It's all a contribution to this place.

My understanding is that as a Premium member you don´t have to be concerned about how many posts you make. You are doing your bit by supporting the Club. But, if you are looking to post something that would be if interest to everyone, now you are a Premium member, why not post a few photos of your car.

But you have made 44 post so far so are a fully fledged member mate. It's not about knowledge, it's about contributing, that can mean putting a link up for a new comer to see how you fit a new stereo, or giving your opinion on a set of wheels, or having a rant in the wtf thread. It's all a contribution to this place.
44 is his age.......

Lol.

Bollocks my premium membership is up again in the next month or so. That will be the third time I've paid it & what have I ever had for the money?

oh yeah - advice from members who know their Elgrands inside out. Invaluable for an auto numptie like me. And great to pass on to mechanics who aren't familiar with imports.

oh yeah - a few entertaining (small) disagreements among a few members.

oh yeah - being able to help new members with the odd answer & link to hopefully help answer their questions.

oh yeah - a damn good laugh along the way.

What have the Romans ever done for us :)

Keep up with the free registration guys & hopefully a few more premium members will come along if they think it's worth it - which it certainly is in my opinion :)
Nicely put Phil

@Frogeyepete , I monitor stats on a weekly basis, so I'll keep an eye on this and see what happens. If it has a negative effect, to the point its proving detrimental, then we will have to think up a new strategy 👍

Haha. Easy mistake 😀. But he has made 10 posts so all ok 🤔

Steady on with the age references people! I am of the female persuasion and try not to bang on about things like that! : unamused:

Back