• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Do you use your Elgrand as your main car?

Apparently E85 can have between 51% and 83% bioethanol. I'm led to believe that the percentage of ethenol is reduced in the winter for easier starting. It's all a bit of an experiment really. The kit was 500€, I can fit it myself and fuel is readily available, so it seemed a bit daft not to give it a go. The gumph quotes 15% to 25% increased consumption depending on vehicle, usage and actual ethanol percentage.

Not sure if the Elgrand VQ35 will benefit from the increased octane without modification. The box comes with an app to view parameters and 'tune' the system for best results. If it's able to produce a bit more torque, then that will also offset the increased consumption. Depends on how much range the engine ECU has to advance ignition being that it was designed for E0 petrol. I do currently have an Impul ECU fitted. This is what they show for a 350Z.

View attachment 116867

I'm interested in what you're doing and it's a good idea.

I think there'll be more power increase approaching 85% ethanol, better mpg with lower ethanol percentage... As one (power) goes up the other (mpg) goes down and vice 'versa. Power charts possibly using the £4per litre race fuel that is consistently blended for the full 85% ethanol and the remaining 15% petrol not the usual petrol you could buy from a forecourt. Power and torque will change with the percentage of ethanol in your car tank, there could be different power and torque after any fill up.

Ethanol is 'bio' if produced from crops but (and this is a reason it's not sold at UK forecourts) there wouldn't be enough land on earth to grow enough crop to produce enough ethanol for all the vehicles and even if there were that would mean no food crops could be grown. There's also an ironic factor in that growing crop for ethanol production means increased use of diesel and electricity for tractors and processing. 10% of all LPG sold in the UK is currently bio, this will be 100% in 2040.

With higher octane fuel you can get a bit more power and mpg by advancing ignition timing but a lot of people think maximum advance before causing detonation will make most power and that's not quite true. People are used to setting timing on petrol and comparing power when the engine is run flat out... it is mostly true for that condition but when we're talking ignition advance tuning we're talking about trying to get
the biggest difference in cylinder pressure on the power stroke versus the compression stroke taking into account the fuel takes times to burn and the piston is moving at a speed related to rpm and position in the stroke. Pressure at tdc doesn't do much because the piston is directly over the crank and regardless of how much we push or pull on the piston if it's directly above the crank it won't create a turning force on the crank, so it's not just peak pressures but also duration of pressure on the piston at both sides of tdc and position in the piston stroke at these pressures that matter. If we used a fuel that had super high anti detonation property (octane) we could end up advancing timing to the point pressure during the compression stroke builds to the point it detracts from that biggest difference in cylinder on the power stroke versus compression stroke and end up making less power even though it doesn't detonate. But in practice the ignition system won't allow that much advance even if the knock sensors don't detect knock, so using higher octane fuels we do gain a bit of power and mpg from advancing ignition timing when the system is trying to detect knock. It isn't trying to detect knock all the time, it does when you put your foot down, it might not at a part throttle light cruise. Timing is retarded during cranking to prevent the 'back spin' that could sometimes be experienced when trying to start an old points and distributor ignition system engine with a fairly flat battery that could crank the engine but at a lower cranking speed than normal, the 'backspin' was the result of the mixture being ignited during the compression stroke and building pressure in the cylinder quickly enough in respect to the upward speed of the piston that it pushed the piston back down before it reached tdc on the compression stroke so spun the engine backwards. In NDS2 on some Elgrands you can advance base ignition timing by a couple of degrees.
 
It's occurred to me I've driven most of my customer Elgrands around 30 miles each... I convert them to LPG, connect diagnostic equipment, take them to a forecourt to fill with LPG, drive them while checking/adjusting calibration, drive them back to base. Having converted more than 800 Elgrands to LPG that equates to driving customer Elgrands 24000 miles on top of the 100000 miles I've driven my own Elgrands so I'll have driven Elgrands around 124000 miles.
 
It's occurred to me I've driven most of my customer Elgrands around 30 miles each... I convert them to LPG, connect diagnostic equipment, take them to a forecourt to fill with LPG, drive them while checking/adjusting calibration, drive them back to base. Having converted more than 800 Elgrands to LPG that equates to driving customer Elgrands 24000 miles on top of the 100000 miles I've driven my own Elgrands so I'll have driven Elgrands around 124000 miles.
Thank you. Back in the land of the living now. Hopefully going to look at a e52 at the weekend as I can actually drive that. The e51 seating or possibly the steering wheel is different not allowing me to drive it.
 
E51's are a bit heavy on wheel bearings and brake components but every make/model car has it's common wear points. I think E51's are very reliable as long as the cats have been sorted.

E52's, personally I think the E51 is a better people carrier, more practical and I wouldn't want the CVT (partly because I do a fair bit of heavy towing) and the electric pas pump has failed for more than a few owners. The E52 has a very different exhaust setup and cats don't seem to be an issue.

On E51's the LPG tank fits outside underneath the back where the spare wheel usually goes. E52's don't have a spare wheel, there is no space outside underneath to fit an LPG tank, the LPG tank is fitted inside in what I call the 'bath tub', the below floor level storage area at the rear of the luggage area. This is a cylinder shape design as opposed to the toroidal spare wheel design that fits to an E51, and it has capacity of 75L as opposed to the E51's 93L. But the E52 does a bit better mpg than the E51 which in terms of range offsets the smaller tank capacity.
Any idea what the worst would be if a PAS pump went?
 
When I first got my Elgrand I had full intentions on daily driving it however the MPG was the only thing that stopped me! If it wasn't for that I would happily drive the Elgrand everywhere I went but around the doors on shorter journeys its going to go through the fuel. I love every second I'm driving it but I got a cheap runabout car that gets 40+ mpg and it's nearly paid itself off already in fuel savings! Less money spent on petrol and less miles put on the Elgrand but also less time spent driving it which is the only downside haha!
 
Back
Top