• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Do I need to keep my other car for everyday usage or just use Elgrand full time?

I retired in April.
Yes, I could get a Euro box to save money but would I enjoy it? No.
Who knows how many years ive got until I can’t go out or drive. Fuck the expense, I’m going to enjoy the remaining years as much as I can.

I have my Elgrand, and I also have a very small Japanese import for day-to-day pottering about / short trips around London.

It's a 2010 Suzuki Every Wagon, so tiny and easy to drive and park, given that it's engine is a small 650cc, it has rather better fuel economy than the Elgrand.

Had car off road while working on her.
Normal put £30 diesel a week.
Used Elgrand for week £70.
So you can do sum's.
Sorry I have big lead feet, then holiday time, so easily 2 to 3k off a saving, yes tax mot, maintenance to come of this.
But best off all no rush to fix any of them
Quids in with second car, it's a no brainer

One question you could ask, what is better value, an LPG conversion or a second car? I would bet that the cost savings of LPG would more than make up for the cost of running another car. It has certainly been my choice - my Elgrand is my only car and circa 20p/mile it is quite affordable.

Hi, I now have an Elgrand campervan as well as my small car for day to day use (Hyundai i20). Should I get rid of car and just use the Elgrand?
Hello.
My Elgrand is my everyday car I use it to get to work and leisure drives, can be expensive but love it.

My Elgrand was my daily for 5 years.
It's now used on occasional weekends, special occasions and humping jobs.
My daily is now a long wheel base Mercedes Sprinter van!!!
Different eh?
No ........
It's you lot that are strange.
Not me (!).
Ha.

In my opinion....

Fuel costs need not be the deciding factor - You can convert an Elgrand to LPG and almost halve it's fuel costs if you can buy LPG locally at the average LPG price. My missus recently learned to drive, runs a 1.2 Corsa, there isn't much difference in fuel costs per mile between the Elgrand running on LPG and the 1.2 Corsa running on petrol. I/we use the Elgrand (running on LPG) as a daily driver.

It would be cheaper for us to run only the Elgrand and get rid of the Corsa than it would be to keep the Elgrand as a second car and use mainly the Corsa.

But of course there would be a difference in running costs if we (I lol) converted the Corsa to LPG.

On the other hand it can be very handy to have 2 cars in the family. If one car is down for any reason there is another car available to use. If there are two drivers two cars can be in two different places at the same time. Maybe if we used the Corsa as a daily driver it would be a nice treat at weekends to dump the Corsa and get into the Elgrand, certainly more a sense of occasion than we currently get using the Elgrand as a daily driver. But life is short - why save something for best if you could enjoy it all the time for the same running cost as something you'd rather get out of to get into the Elgrand, even if that does mean diminished sense of occasion when you get into the Elgrand.

In my opinion....

Fuel costs need not be the deciding factor - You can convert an Elgrand to LPG and almost halve it's fuel costs if you can buy LPG locally at the average LPG price. My missus recently learned to drive, runs a 1.2 Corsa, there isn't much difference in fuel costs per mile between the Elgrand running on LPG and the 1.2 Corsa running on petrol. I/we use the Elgrand (running on LPG) as a daily driver.

It would be cheaper for us to run only the Elgrand and get rid of the Corsa than it would be to keep the Elgrand as a second car and use mainly the Corsa.

But of course there would be a difference in running costs if we (I lol) converted the Corsa to LPG.

On the other hand it can be very handy to have 2 cars in the family. If one car is down for any reason there is another car available to use. If there are two drivers two cars can be in two different places at the same time. Maybe if we used the Corsa as a daily driver it would be a nice treat at weekends to dump the Corsa and get into the Elgrand, certainly more a sense of occasion than we currently get using the Elgrand as a daily driver. But life is short - why save something for best if you could enjoy it all the time for the same running cost as something you'd rather get out of to get into the Elgrand, even if that does mean diminished sense of occasion when you get into the Elgrand.
May I also add that the servicing costs would be lower for the Corsa. HOWEVER, who wants to drive a Corsa every day when you've got an Elgrand? PURLEEEZE 🤣

I retired in April.
Yes, I could get a Euro box to save money but would I enjoy it? No.
Who knows how many years ive got until I can’t go out or drive. Fuck the expense, I’m going to enjoy the remaining years as much as I can.
Sound logic in there @Nevillerover, as I get another year closer to retiring and given what's happened over the last two years with my mum & dad (long story). Fuck it, fuck Greta Thunberg (erm well maybe not), live your last years for yourself coz we are all a long time dead lol.

I only have to drive to the office 2/3 days max per week now, so an Elgrand on LPG is fine cost-wise. Sold my second car as it just wasn’t getting used. Now thinking about getting a motorbike just for mucking about on - had my first lesson yesterday and was a lot of fun 👍

Hi, I now have an Elgrand campervan as well as my small car for day to day use (Hyundai i20). Should I get rid of car and just use the Elgrand?
Hello. If I were you, I would use a small car for everyday driving. The Elgrand is a great car, but the running costs are higher than a regular sedan (I compare it to my Diesel tractor). For example, in QD 32, I change the oil every 5 thousand km, fill in 8 liters. And in a small sedan, I would change every 10 thousand and pour 2 glasses of oil))))

I only have to drive to the office 2/3 days max per week now, so an Elgrand on LPG is fine cost-wise. Sold my second car as it just wasn’t getting used. Now thinking about getting a motorbike just for mucking about on - had my first lesson yesterday and was a lot of fun 👍
Motorbikes are fun - but the older you get the harder the impact is when you hit the road! Spend as much money as you can on armour and padding, it's not worth not to! I commuted on a bike every day when I was 17 to 26, I miss the bike but I don't miss the frozen fingers, front end wipe outs from diesel spills/greasy road markings and black ice!! Head on collision with a transit van cutting a corner didn't end my biking career, but having to work on-call did!

Motorbikes are fun - but the older you get the harder the impact is when you hit the road! Spend as much money as you can on armour and padding, it's not worth not to! I commuted on a bike every day when I was 17 to 26, I miss the bike but I don't miss the frozen fingers, front end wipe outs from diesel spills/greasy road markings and black ice!! Head on collision with a transit van cutting a corner didn't end my biking career, but having to work on-call did!
I’m not planning on riding in shit weather - that’s what cars with warm heaters are for 👍

Elgrand for the cold and snow-y commutes and then I've pushbike for everything else.

Great way to offset the fuel costs and work off Christmas timber.

Back