• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Do I need to keep my other car for everyday usage or just use Elgrand full time?

Depends on your situation, do you need it to get to work? Do you have clean secure parking?

Is it low mileage and you're looking to keep it low?

Is it economically viable to use it solo?

I have gone the 2 car route... The Elgrand for weekends away and special occasions and a daily for the mundane stuff...

I was going to LPG the Elgrand and daily it but my work environment (building sites) would destroy it.

I now run a hybrid for the daily stuff that I don't mind piling on the miles and if it gets a dent or scratch I won't spend the night worrying about it :)

I agree, keep both. Elgrand is an expensive daily driver and not suited to short journeys.

I have a Nissan cube that was my daily car because I couldn't afford to run the Elgrand all the time even though it was a 2.5.
Since I had the Elgrand converted to LPG it now Costa me the same or even cheaper.
So I would keep the car, it'll save you loads in the end, unless you convert of course.

Bike makes a good idea ...

Friend of mine with a very thirsty car has got himself an electric bike which he is using for work and getting about... Saved a fortune in fuel and is getting slightly healthier as well :)

Unfortunately he now walks like John Wayne 🤣

Depends a lot on your mileage, I'm currently doing less than 6000 miles a year (although before 2020 it was nearer 9000).

The overheads of a second car are not insignificant, probably £600-700 if you include Tax, Insurance and Servicing. You can minimise that by finding something with really low (<£30) tax which is also likely cheaper to insure.

I would probably only just about break even (and I'd need to buy the other car).

Depends on your situation, do you need it to get to work? Do you have clean secure parking?

Is it low mileage and you're looking to keep it low?

Is it economically viable to use it solo?

I have gone the 2 car route... The Elgrand for weekends away and special occasions and a daily for the mundane stuff...

I was going to LPG the Elgrand and daily it but my work environment (building sites) would destroy it.

I now run a hybrid for the daily stuff that I don't mind piling on the miles and if it gets a dent or scratch I won't spend the night worrying about it :)
Am now retired so no paid work as such, lots of driving around re helping out with grandchildren!! Both parked on road outside the house! Elgrand bought for campervan trips and visits (with my dogs) to friends and family round UK.

Am now retired so no paid work as such, lots of driving around re helping out with grandchildren!! Both parked on road outside the house! Elgrand bought for campervan trips and visits (with my dogs) to friends and family round UK.
How many miles do you think you do a year between tho cars you have?

I am in same situation.

Sold all but 1 motorbike that was using a lot and using Elgrand as a daily. Whilst I can afford to run the Elgrand as a daily it doesn’t give me any opportunity to put away and modify or do the things I want. The Elgrand is perfect for my family as we are 5(2 adults 3 kids)

Currently looking a getting a cheap run around for completing van mods.

So in my opinion if you can afford second car keep it.

How many miles do you think you do a year between tho cars you have?
Before retirement and Covid, I did about 8,000. Difficult to estimate now, only did about 4-5,000 year during Covid whilst working. Retired in April, so definitely doing less at the moment.

I was thinking LPG conversion might be an idea for you but it would take a long time before you actually started saving.

With you doing such low mileage just using the van might be a viable option

Before retirement and Covid, I did about 8,000. Difficult to estimate now, only did about 4-5,000 year during Covid whilst working. Retired in April, so definitely doing less at the moment.
I'd estimate you'll save £400-500 a year in fuel running an i20 instead of a Elgrand, so it all depends on insurance, tax and servicing costs but I think you'll struggle to save money with both of them.

I'd estimate you'll save £400-500 a year in fuel running an i20 instead of a Elgrand, so it all depends on insurance, tax and servicing costs but I think you'll struggle to save money with both of them.
This is the answer you need...

Stick with the Elgrand 👍

My No Claims is currently on the 10 Yr old Hyundai, insurance less than £200, great mpg, £30 tax. Son suggested swapping No Claims over if keeping both.

My No Claims is currently on the 10 Yr old Hyundai, insurance less than £200, great mpg, £30 tax. Son suggested swapping No Claims over if keeping both.
Or find an insurance.company that will mirror your no claims or start you off with a second set ...

I did this a while ago and now have 2 lots of no claim bonus, each over 10 years :)

Also retired and earlier this year we got rid of the Mini (R56 version, 2006, most uncomfortable car I've ever driven) and started using the Elgrand as the daily.

Loved it, then fuel prices rocketed and even lpg from my local thief is 120ppl. Wife is always running around for the family but because of the fuel costs (spending £70 ish on lpg a week), we found ourselves hesitating about going out.

Not good so spent £2.5k on a VW Polo 1.4 diesel Bluemotion which gives around 60mpg. Nice little car and saving around £100 a month on fuel. So I've got the Elgrand all to myself again and keeping the mileage down (still only 62k miles on 2002) :).

An update from me, have kept the Hyundai i20, insured it for family as well as me so it's a back up car! Definitely saves on local short journeys or longer journeys when not staying over!

Back