• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Correct Idle Volume Relearn Procedure

ballbluehorse

Active Newbie
Midlands
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
riadh
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Hi All
Update after my last post.

Elgrand with high idle surging from 1800 to 2300 RPM.
Tried with NDS11 app. This worked on other Elgrands I had in the past but after several attempts it would not have it this time. I guess the very high idle and surging issues were too much for the app. It kept saying ECU Busy and eventually failed to execute and adjust the idle to the normal 650 RPM.
Tried the pedal dance as mentioned here several times with all conditions met, Engine warmed, Front Wheels straight, Electric loads off etc. but no luck.
The procedure below I think is the correct one AND worked first time I tried it.

1. ENGINE COLD
  2. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
  3. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
  5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
  6. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
  7. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
  8. WAIT over 10 seconds before this next step.
  9. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
  10. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  11. Turn ignition switch “ON”. WAIT EXACTLY ONE SECOND SHARP. Turn ignition switch “OFF”
  12. THEN wait at least 10 seconds.
  13. Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound. - Very hard to hear anything at all. Just believe this is happening by faith.
Then Perform the Idle Relearn procedure as follows

TOOLS NEEDED: stopwatch or timer showing seconds.
I used stop watch on my phone

1. When engine COLD, first perform the Accelerator Released Position and then the Throttle Valve Closed Position procedure. as mentioned above

2. Warm up engine at this point. I drove around for a bit less than 10 minutes despite somewhat high base revs in drive.

3. Car in Park, turn off all electrical powered stuff, wheels turned straight.

4. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Turn key ON (not ignition) and start stopwatch at same time.

6. When stopwatch is at 3 seconds, press & release accelerator pedal 5x hard and quickly.

7. When stopwatch is at 15 seconds, press accelerator pedal and keep it down.

8. Approx when stopwatch shows 27 seconds, the solid CEL goes out then starts blinking. Keep the accelerator down. If the CEL never starts blinking, then something is not working and you'd better start over again.

9. When the CEL becomes solid again (stops blinking) about 10 seconds later, immediately start the engine and let it idle. It will still likely be a high-rev/pulsating idle.

10. Let it run for about 20 seconds and rev the gas a few times.

11. With foot on brake, shift into Drive. Idle will now go WAY down under 1000rpm. Shift to Park again, and the car will find its regular idle speed, and purr like a rather quiet kitten again.

I hope this helps someone with idle problems.

Very helpful and clear post - thank you!

I've just tried this ignition/pedal dance procedure based on an old thread (before I read your post) and it worked first time for me (but your instructions are much easier to follow so bravo!).

Mine was idling around 1500-1800 RPM before and would "run away" from me trying to stick to 30 mph around town - I was always on the brakes at low speed trying to keep it under control! It's now idling at just under 1000 RPM and much improved. but I think I'll perform the procedure again as I may have not warmed the engine up 100% to see if I can get the idle even lower. I didn't perform step 11 either, so maybe that might make a difference.

Thanks again for the great post!

Hi. I tried the process as described above but it didn't work for me. The CEL light didn't start to blink at the 27 sec mark (or at any time later), As suggested, I started again, but still no blinking. How successful is the process, and is there anything I can do that I am not doing to get the CEL to flash as expected. My Idle speed is only about 1100, so not as high as some, am I worrying unnecessarily? And will this higher than expected idle speed have an adverse effect on my mileage?

Make sure absolutely everything is off including aircon fans. It's much more straightforward with the NDS app.

Make sure absolutely everything is off including aircon fans. It's much more straightforward with the NDS app.
Yes I made sure everything was off, even the radio I have been looking into the NDS11 app, and like most things when you havent got any experience with it, it looks to be very complex. Maybe I just need to get it and see where it all leads. I use a Chromebook, and not sure the software will run on it.

Hi. I tried the process as described above but it didn't work for me. The CEL light didn't start to blink at the 27 sec mark (or at any time later), As suggested, I started again, but still no blinking. How successful is the process, and is there anything I can do that I am not doing to get the CEL to flash as expected. My Idle speed is only about 1100, so not as high as some, am I worrying unnecessarily? And will this higher than expected idle speed have an adverse effect on my mileage?
Hi
I am surprised that it did not work for you. Maybe you need to give it few more attempt with ALL CONDITIONS met.
The NDS II app will work for you as your idle is not to high. all you need is to download this app from google play store and purchase the OBD II diagnostic interface tool Bluetooth V1.5 for about £15 from Ebay or Amazon. The correct idle speed should be 650-700 RPM. 1100 is little too high and will use more fuel.
good luck

I will give it a few more attempts. I did meet all conditions, or at least thought I did. It was the no blinking of the CEL at the 27 sec mark (or thereabouts) that I think is the problem. It is the operation of the NDS11 and OBD II diagnostic interface tool Bluetooth V1.5 that sounds complicated, like most things that you have no experience with its the fear of the unknown. I would probably feel more comfortable after seeing it used.

I got the Idle Relearn process to work, but not quite as the sequence above said. Unless I am reading it wrong, the 2 sec on, 10 sec off, 2 sec on 10 sec off part of the process as described above suggests this is done with the engine cold. I did this and the relearn was unsuccessfully. However this link gives a process that worked for me. The 2 sec on, 10 sec off, 2 sec on 10 sec off had to be done with the engine up to temp. Anyway, it worked.

Back