• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Steve Thompson

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
I've come to the conclusion that my Elgrand is the reincarnation of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Because once again it's fixed itself!
Had a front side light flickering for a couple of weeks, proberbly a bad earth.
One of those 'I'll do it soon' type of jobs.
Done nothing about it and it's fixed itself!
3 weeks without flickering so far - job done.
Same happened with my rear number plate LED - fixed itself.
Same with the squeek from my alternator belt - ignored it for a few weeks and hey presto - fixed itself.
And my side door, something in the track I think - stopped opening half way for days.
Ignored it for a few weeks and yep - fixed itself.
The clicking from my rear brakes - fixed itself.
Flapping noise from my heater fan - fixed itself.
Rear seat belt not working - fixed itself.
Left hand drift - sometimes fixes itself!
I'm hoping that when the time comes that I need a new engine ...........

Bloody hell Steve! This is brilliant.
Having said that...If you feel one side of your body starting to go numb please don't just leave it and expect it to sort itself.

Bloody hell Steve! This is brilliant.
Having said that...If you feel one side of your body starting to go numb please don't just leave it and expect it to sort itself.
Don't mind if my sides go numb ................... just not my middle bits!

Last edited:
Gave my brute of a donkey mate a lift earlier.
Thick as thick can be!
As he was getting out and shutting the door he said 'I'll just have a look in the back' ..... Shouted 'NOOOOO' but too late.
He yanked on the side door like it was a barn.
Door immediately jammed and bleeped.
Oooooh my instant pumped red faced stress/anger!!!!
I screamed 'C#*T' so loud I swear I heard a Frenchman say what!
Started crying and counting £££ in my head.
Tried again, no go just bleep bleep.
So battery off, try again slowly.
OK
Battery on & auto again ...... fixed itself.
Amazing Elgrand.
You all think I'm making this up don't you?

Thick as thick can be!
As he was getting out and shutting the door he said 'I'll just have a look in the back' ..... Shouted 'NOOOOO' but too late.
OK
Amazing Elgrand.

Nope, I believe you, as I shouted the exact same thing at someone who did the same to mine as I dropped them off at the airport....

I have had the same problem with my mother-in-law...she knew it was electric but still insisted on 'helping it'!

So it's happened again.
Fixed itself.
Hadn't used the bus for a week or so, new phone so I wanted to reset up my chromecast.
Ignition on for 20 mins while I fiddled, all of a sudden the display goes wonkey like it does if the battery is flat - acrid smell of burning wires coming from the passenger side!
Quickly switched the ignition off.
Waited 10 mins and tried ignition - all OK - tried to start it - flat battery.
Jump started it - all OK.
Checked everything, absolutely everything I can think of........ everything is OK!!!
What the!!!!
Something happened but the old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has come good again.

So it's happened again.
Fixed itself.
Hadn't used the bus for a week or so, new phone so I wanted to reset up my chromecast.
Ignition on for 20 mins while I fiddled, all of a sudden the display goes wonkey like it does if the battery is flat - acrid smell of burning wires coming from the passenger side!
Quickly switched the ignition off.
Waited 10 mins and tried ignition - all OK - tried to start it - flat battery.
Jump started it - all OK.
Checked everything, absolutely everything I can think of........ everything is OK!!!
What the!!!!
Something happened but the old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has come good again.

I think this is where most people go wrong with Japanese cars is try to fix them.
Just ignor the issue and it will fix itself

Thick as thick can be!
OK
Amazing Elgrand.

I've decided, these things just aren't passenger friendly. Or my family are just stupid. Hmm, jury is out.
  • Trying to open or close the electric door themselves, fighting the mechanism. Again, explain how the door works.
  • throwing off the middle row seatbelt, which slips between the seat back and armrest, getting grease on it. Again.
  • sitting with the seatbacks bolt upright because a) the seat doesn't remember the angle after sliding, and b) too many levers for people it freaks them out "It's ok like this, it's fine". No. No it's not, I get out to sort it.
  • opening the cupholder when the centre seat/armrest is upright, spilling the sweet papers that people have stuffed in there. Grrrr.
  • don't get me started on when they try and use the centre seat seatbelts...

I've decided, these things just aren't passenger friendly. Or my family are just stupid. Hmm, jury is out.
  • Trying to open or close the electric door themselves, fighting the mechanism. Again, explain how the door works.
  • throwing off the middle row seatbelt, which slips between the seat back and armrest, getting grease on it. Again.
  • sitting with the seatbacks bolt upright because a) the seat doesn't remember the angle after sliding, and b) too many levers for people it freaks them out "It's ok like this, it's fine". No. No it's not, I get out to sort it.
  • opening the cupholder when the centre seat/armrest is upright, spilling the sweet papers that people have stuffed in there. Grrrr.
  • don't get me started on when they try and use the centre seat seatbelts...
I feel your pain.
I've taken the center seats out, sod em.
Let em sit on the floor.

I think this is where most people go wrong with Japanese cars is try to fix them.
Just ignor the issue and it will fix itself

Like my car did - fixed itself last night! I put a new (2nd hand) ECU in and had to reprogram the keys and remotes. I got the keys working and the remote lock/unlock working on the fobs, but the keyless start wasn't playing nicely. I admitted defeat and came inside. This morning however the naughty lady had only gone and decided to allow the keyless start to work! Very kind of her!

Not only faster but more intelligent also.

Worried about posting this coz you just know that next time it happens it ain't going to fix itself.
But anyway - for the 3rd time in 3 years I've had the 'engine dead/no response' when driving fault.
Pound to a pinch of salt it's the usual and now well known cam sensor problem.
Now here's the thing.
Fixed its self again.
Happened again two weeks ago and hasn't come back since.
No codes either!!
This thing amazes me.

Worried about posting this coz you just know that next time it happens it ain't going to fix itself.
But anyway - for the 3rd time in 3 years I've had the 'engine dead/no response' when driving fault.
Now here's the thing.
Fixed its self again.
No codes either!!
This thing amazes me.
More likely crank sensor than cam sensor if no codes and the engine goes totally flat.
Or could be an 'engine run relay' issue, TPS / throttle body issue, petrol ECU issue, or if it only does it when running on petrol it could be an intermittent fuel pump issue.

Now here's the thing.
Fixed its self again.
No codes either!!
This thing amazes me.
Well it happened again.
3 weeks ago.
But yeah - fixed itself.
Done another 1,000 miles and no problem.

Back