• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Auction report concerns

merrsh1

Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Hello

I’ve had the auction report translated for a vehicle I’ve placed a deposit on and one of the comments on it is ‘underside rust’

Now, I’ve came from the world of classic VW and underside rust makes me want to run for the hills.

Do I have unrealistic expectations. For background this is a 2008 car with 60k on the clock, it’s priced at £10.5k

Cheers

Hello

I’ve had the auction report translated for a vehicle I’ve placed a deposit on and one of the comments on it is ‘underside rust’

Now, I’ve came from the world of classic VW and underside rust makes me want to run for the hills.

Do I have unrealistic expectations. For background this is a 2008 car with 60k on the clock, it’s priced at £10.5k

Cheers
Not a good read I bet! Question should be is it superficial or structural?
You really do not want to be spending a wedge on a car that may not be fit for purpose. What does your dealer/importer say? Do you trust them to carry out remedial action at no extra cost?

The importer is a well respected one. My concern is that the rest of the auction report doesn’t make for good reading either, see below. Do I walk quickly or sprint 😳

It’s rated 4B

Worn steering wheel
Seat scratched / torn
Inside dirty / scratched
Underside rust
Marked rear panel
Cracked mirror

If you are concerned then give it a miss or at least ask for photo's of the points of concern. Better ones will appear.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned, especially if the dealer can give a clear explanation.
Some auction houses are stricter than others and will mention rust even if it’s just a bit of surface discolouration on suspension parts. A decent importer will be able to sort through the information and get an inspection in Japan if there are any doubts.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned, especially if the dealer can give a clear explanation.
Some auction houses are stricter than others and will mention rust even if it’s just a bit of surface discolouration on suspension parts. A decent importer will be able to sort through the information and get an inspection in Japan if there are any doubts.
Thanks, I’ve put down a deposit, I’ll go along when it’s available to view and see what they say…

Any concerns and I’ll make a decision on the day 👍

Thanks, I’ve put down a deposit, I’ll go along when it’s available to view and see what they say…

Any concerns and I’ll make a decision on the day 👍
I put a deposit on mine without seeing it, but the dealer said you don't have to buy it if you don't want it on inspection....sign of a good dealer.

I put a deposit on mine without seeing it, but the dealer said you don't have to buy it if you don't want it on inspection....sign of a good dealer.
Pretty much the same.

I had only seen a photo from a dockyard in Japan and read a description from Vine Place.

Hadn't driven one, sat in one or seen one up close.

I didn't see what I had bought until it was delivered on my drive.

Dave said exactly the same as above.....if you don't like it, we will take it back.

I wanted to find something wrong with it so I could haggle a bit on the price, but I couldn't find anything.

The first time I drove it was to the train station to drop the delivery guy off to catch his train back to where ever VinePlace is.

I've bought brand new cars that have not had the customer service that VinePlace provided.

Pretty much the same.

I had only seen a photo from a dockyard in Japan and read a description from Vine Place.

Hadn't driven one, sat in one or seen one up close.

I didn't see what I had bought until it was delivered on my drive.

Dave said exactly the same as above.....if you don't like it, we will take it back.

I wanted to find something wrong with it so I could haggle a bit on the price, but I couldn't find anything.

The first time I drove it was to the train station to drop the delivery guy off to catch his train back to where ever VinePlace is.

I've bought brand new cars that have not had the customer service that VinePlace provided.

... and what a gorgeous Elgrand you received @WhatsThisFor!
Was it the wheels that sold it for you like my silver one, which was also purchased without viewing!!! :eek:

Just to add my input to the above as well, I have not purchased a car blind before my Elgrand (coincidentally from Vine Place as well) and did so partly because of COVID restrictions at the time and also due to the fact I was miles from the garage. I think you get the impression from the conversations you have from the dealer and go with your gut instinct from there. I didn't have any doubts because of the transparent way in which my queries were dealt with. I think you would probably get the same from any of the trusted dealers from here judging on the conversations on the forum.
I suppose as well though if you have any serious doubts it's not the end of the world as there will be one out there for you somewhere even if this proves not to be the one!

Always be prepared to walk away. I lost my deposit on the first Elgrand I wanted to buy, as when it landed it absolutely reeked of smoke, the rugs were brown with tobacco and the white smoke I was told was just condensation in the exhaust didn't go away after a 45 minute test drive. It might have broken down less than the one I actually bought though, that was immaculate!! You never know really, if it doesn't feel right don't have over your money.

... and what a gorgeous Elgrand you received @WhatsThisFor!
Was it the wheels that sold it for you like my silver one, which was also purchased without viewing!!! :eek:
The wheels and the way it sat caught my eye, I was actually looking for another Delica.

Here is the original photo.

577DD50E-EFBA-4F4E-A7E5-8E58D5DEB819.jpeg

The Japanese scribble on the windscreen translates something like :-

Tokyo Taxi
For scrap parts only
2,189,879,00 kms ( not guaranteed)
Grade 1-1
Good luck English jonnie

👍

Mine had do not wash on the windscreen - so Ive kept up the mantra. It was fully undersealed and spotless / rustless inside and out . Just waiting for my first gremlins to appear after 18 months now though as Ive actually hand washed it for the first this week. Didnt get a chance to wax / polish it however as it inevitably rained.

The importer is a well respected one. My concern is that the rest of the auction report doesn’t make for good reading either, see below. Do I walk quickly or sprint 😳

It’s rated 4B

Worn steering wheel
Seat scratched / torn
Inside dirty / scratched
Underside rust
Marked rear panel
Cracked mirror

That's not bad at all, no auction sheets make for good reading because they highlight every tiny imperfection on the vehicle. You need to consider the grade with the information on the sheet.

Worn steering wheel will be visible in auction photos but also visible in person / sale photos unless fixed, same with the seats.

It's an auction car, so unless valeted the inside will have some minor dirt and will be mentioned on the seat.

I'm sure the importer will likely replace the mirror.

Underside rust is mentioned on more auction sheets than you'd think - if there's even a hint of any brown metal then it will be marked as rust underside. As there's literally no protection underneath Elgrands, it's rare to find them without any hint of brown metal underneath.

This for example would be marked as "rust underneath"

30258-e91a7d6b-5d92-4861-a318-f1196c9292b2.jpg
Yet realistically, this would be in amazing condition for a 10+ year old vehicle.

That's not bad at all, no auction sheets make for good reading because they highlight every tiny imperfection on the vehicle. You need to consider the grade with the information on the sheet.

Worn steering wheel will be visible in auction photos but also visible in person / sale photos unless fixed, same with the seats.

It's an auction car, so unless valeted the inside will have some minor dirt and will be mentioned on the seat.

I'm sure the importer will likely replace the mirror.

Underside rust is mentioned on more auction sheets than you'd think - if there's even a hint of any brown metal then it will be marked as rust underside. As there's literally no protection underneath Elgrands, it's rare to find them without any hint of brown metal underneath.

This for example would be marked as "rust underneath"

View attachment 82236
Yet realistically, this would be in amazing condition for a 10+ year old vehicle.
That’s really helpful, thanks for the explanation.

I’m basically in terror of tin worm. I just sold my 40 year old camper because the sills and jacking points had crumbled. I could have a little cry when I think of the time and money I poured into that thing 🤬

The Japanese scribble on the windscreen translates something like :-

Tokyo Taxi
For scrap parts only
2,189,879,00 kms ( not guaranteed)
Grade 1-1
Good luck English jonnie

👍
🤣

If anyone was curious, I ran it past Google Lens's translate function...

Screenshot_20221117_044720_com.android.chrome_edit_2190516848244390.jpg
Screenshot_20221117_044844.jpg

Picked up the van yesterday and as was explained by others upthread my worries were unfounded. All the issues were resolved and the van, for 17 years old, was in remarkable nick.

The only problem that wasn’t resolved, which wasn’t on the auction sheet, was the hole in the fuel tank. 🧐

My god, the fuel consumption of these things, you can watch the needle go down. 😂

Unfortunately, no one ever said Elgrands were cheap to run. They somehow drink more fuel than V8 supercharged range rovers! They have great points too, but mine become a second car when I got fed up of it was costing me over £100 in fuel each time to use my theme park season pass for a day out! Probably why so many people LPG.

Unfortunately, no one ever said Elgrands were cheap to run. They somehow drink more fuel than V8 supercharged range rovers! They have great points too, but mine become a second car when I got fed up of it was costing me over £100 in fuel each time to use my theme park season pass for a day out! Probably why so many people LPG.
I forget the fuel consumption everytime I walk in the garage and stare at it thinking - I can’t believe I paid what I paid for that magnificent creature 😂👍

Back