• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Anyone had any experience with Vinyl Wrapping on a car?

Londonglide

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Philbert
Elgrand
E51
I have posted a few times about the poor state of my paintwork, due primarily to not washing it regularly, combined with it spending a lot of time parked up under Trees.
The paint on the roof and bonnet make the thing look bad now, and I wondered if getting a wrap on them would be cheaper, and if the pinholes where the lacquer has failed will show up?
Anyone have any experience, or suggestions?

I have posted a few times about the poor state of my paintwork, due primarily to not washing it regularly, combined with it spending a lot of time parked up under Trees.
The paint on the roof and bonnet make the thing look bad now, and I wondered if getting a wrap on them would be cheaper, and if the pinholes where the lacquer has failed will show up?
Anyone have any experience, or suggestions?
Wrapping is not a cheap option and needs a good surface beneath. Something to bear in mind is things that won't get wrapped like door handle surrounds, make sure the wrap you choose doesn't make these items stick out like a sore thumb

I used to wrap vehicles for a living. It'll cost almost as much as having a respray. And, it'll look crap if the paint is tatty. It'll also fail quicker and be prone to peeling or splitting if the surface is bad. And finally, if it's going to sit under trees, it'll be knackered in no time. Invest in a DA polisher and a good 3 stage correction kit, some decent cleaning gear and a quality wax/sealer. Cost you 500 quid for a good kit Vs £3+K for a good wrap.

Thanks for the replies. I suspected as much.
Given mine is not a Prom Queen I might just do the roof Black Hammerite with a brush...lol ...... Did this with my old CrV Honda...Handy with the big sunroof to stand in the middle and reach all the parts....Will see what a blow over of the bonnet will cost, and possibly the rear quarter where the dodgy respray has blown off with the jet washer..
main thing is she runs well....Blast, now I've jinxed it.....

Thanks for the replies. I suspected as much.
Given mine is not a Prom Queen I might just do the roof Black Hammerite with a brush...lol ...... Did this with my old CrV Honda...Handy with the big sunroof to stand in the middle and reach all the parts....Will see what a blow over of the bonnet will cost, and possibly the rear quarter where the dodgy respray has blown off with the jet washer..
main thing is she runs well....Blast, now I've jinxed it.....
just a suggestion but what about that crinkle paint on the roof ? it hides a rough surface.

just a suggestion but what about that crinkle paint on the roof ? it hides a rough surface.
Artex? But yes, thank you, a good suggestion. The roof isn't terrible, but Tbh the bonnet is the worst, and is very visibly spotty, and I now have a rough looking wing. Given its usage, I'll probably see how it goes, and keep an eye out for a bonnet in my colour (Burnt Silver?) or a black one. We've owned it for over 10 years, so I think it will more likely to get the wing looked at first.

Ahh OK, thank you for clarification.
My small London plot precludes anything like that. I could possibly build a custom carport, but it would likely cost more than a respray and regular washing...

Rat it 👍😎. I've never seen a ratted Elgrand as everyone likes a shiny one. Drive down a narrow lane, scrapped by a thorny bush no worries.
Oh it's well on its way...., dents and scrapes, front bumper not quite fitting after a prang, and I'd rather polish the Saab, and my bikes, but the old Battlebus purs like a kitten, and the tatty look ,makes all the Audi and Range Rover drivers hesitate when it comes to a game of chicken.
I really love you guys who really keep them nice n shiney, but maybe the next one, as I wouldn't hesitate to replace mine if it ever fails an MOT badly..

Rat it 👍😎. I've never seen a ratted Elgrand as everyone likes a shiny one. Drive down a narrow lane, scrapped by a thorny bush no worries.
theirs a silver one in my town thats well on its way to being a rat !!!! driven be some hippy :D

Back