• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Any other members stuck in their youth??!! lol

A while ago my friend picked me up a small oval Scalextric set for £10. I assembled it in the lounge and the cats loved it. I moved it into the hall and decided I could expand. I got a load of assorted second hand track and by chance used every piece to go round the perimeter of the hall.

Then I decided I could encroach further into the hall and got another job lot of track with some crossroads. At the same time I also went digital - just changed to the more modern power base with some new to old style track pieces. I don't have pit lanes and really only use it for the pace car feature.

With the last expansion it turned into a huge job to get it running well - track cleaning, adding copper between joints for continuity and wire taps for uniform power through the entire length.

I ran into a few problems:
  • Colin (the cat) runs after the cars along the track which stresses the joints
  • Mopping the floor created a large task of fiddling with the track afterwards
  • I had no borders so the cars tended to drop a wheel off the track when drifting on a corner and crash
This was all cured by hot glueing the track down in long sections and adding a second surrounding layer of foam core board at track level. This took an age to do involving 25 A1 sheets of foam core board, about 40 Stanley knife blades and just short of 250 hot glue sticks.

The hall is a bit like walking on stepping stones but I've left major through fares as clear as possible and I soon got used to it. I don't have a wife to moan about it and the end result is great fun :grinning:.

Standard straight (350mm) = 26
Powerbase = 1
Half straight converters = 2
Half straight = 10
Chicane (same length as standard straight) = 5
Standard 45 curve = 52
Hairpin 90 curve = 4
Inner curve 45 = 2
Right angle crossing = 2

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 19.20.49.png

Difficult to get a decent photo but his gives the idea, please ignore the fact that I still haven't decorated and its mid prep with sanded woodwork.
1673812572153.jpeg

A couple of photos of Colin pre expansion when it just went round the perimeter:
1673812665610.jpeg
1673812680864.jpeg

I'll be moving in a year or so and will probably sell the track and make routed MDF sections.

Back