• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Adding a little bit of LED light to my life đź‘€

Croxy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Elgrand
E51
Upgraded the old headlight bulbs with LED bulbs and then added a LED light bar to the roof.

Light bar and rear fog light run off a touch screen panel.

Pictures were taken at 4am on the way to work.

Pic 1 - dipped beam
Pic 2 - with full beam
Pic 3 - with full beam and light bar

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 37
Upgraded the old headlight bulbs with LED bulbs and then added a LED light bar to the roof.

Light bar and rear fog light run off a touch screen panel.

Pictures were taken at 4am on the way to work.

Pic 1 - dipped beam
Pic 2 - with full beam
Pic 3 - with full beam and light bar
What brand and part number are the LED bulbs you used?

Aren't led bulbs illegal?

I see regular comments on here saying as much.

I looked into LED headlight bulbs and decided (after reading everything on here ) not worth the grief . MOT failure .

I looked into LED headlight bulbs and decided (after reading everything on here ) not worth the grief . MOT failure .
My wife’s car has got the same bulbs and passed mot last week.

I had LEDs in one of my Land Rovers, passed MOT no problem but that’s not the issue. For oncoming cars the light spread was a bit of a mess on dip and as it is illegal to put LEDs in lights not designed for them, I was worried that if I had an accident or caused an accident and it was investigated, my insurer would back out. For that reason I took them out.

Lots of articles about LEDs ….

LED bulbs
There are two types of LED bulbs: Original Equipment (OE) and retrofit.

OE LED bulbs are completely road legal and fitted as standard by car manufacturers. However, OE LED bulbs are a non-replaceable part and so if the bulb fails then the entire headlight needs to be replaced.

Retrofitting is when you replace a standard bulb with an LED version. At the moment, it’s completely road legal for you to replace an internal bulb with an LED bulb. However, there’s no legislation to cover retrofitting external facing light sources and therefore LED exterior bulbs in this instance are not road legal
Halfords

Back