• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Xl seating for making bed

sg66

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Elgrand
E51
All the pics I see with seats reclined for the XL show the 2nd row seats not fully reclined due to headrest hitting back of front seats, is this an issue for making a flat area for a bed or is it doable, do headrests need removing ?

After looking at one yesterday the wife has added curtains to the ever increasing list of requirements 🤔

Which narrows it down to a one with extras fitted or an XL, I didn't want to loose the center cubby box on 2nd row but an XL might end up being the most available.

I feel your pain, after spending an age looking at the pros and cons, and viewing numerous Elgrands I excepted defeat and bought a black one, because it looked pretty 🤪

I feel your pain, after spending an age looking at the pros and cons, and viewing numerous Elgrands I excepted defeat and bought a black one, because it looked pretty 🤪
So is flat not achievable with the XL seats ?

All the pics I see with seats reclined for the XL show the 2nd row seats not fully reclined due to headrest hitting back of front seats, is this an issue for making a flat area for a bed or is it doable, do headrests need removing ?

After looking at one yesterday the wife has added curtains to the ever increasing list of requirements 🤔

Which narrows it down to a one with extras fitted or an XL, I didn't want to loose the center cubby box on 2nd row but an XL might end up being the most available.
I have owned my XL for nearly 3 years and have not once wished I had a 2nd row cubby. In fact, I find the storage space incredibly useful and as you can put whatever you want in the gap (picnic hamper, box, suitcase etc) you can make your own cubby so to speak. I must admit, I haven’t tried to lay the seats down but as all of the head rests are removable this may help. I could give it a go if it would be helpful and report back…..?

I have owned my XL for nearly 3 years and have not once wished I had a 2nd row cubby. In fact, I find the storage space incredibly useful and as you can put whatever you want in the gap (picnic hamper, box, suitcase etc) you can make your own cubby so to speak. I must admit, I haven’t tried to lay the seats down but as all of the head rests are removable this may help. I could give it a go if it would be helpful and report back…..?
Yes would be very helpful, we fully intend on sleeping in it 😁, I was going to use cubby box rails or cubby box to make a table mount, it's not the end of the world and is the one thing on the list that can be done without, the heated seats and curtains more than make up for it.

I have just tried, first with the second row seat facing backwards to start with and then with the seat facing forwards. I dont seem to be able to upload the photos! If you PM me an email address, I can send them to you. In neither configuration were the seats completely flat but they felt comfortable in both and more so in the first. In fact so much so, I started to ask myself why I hadnt ever given it a go. I am 6ft 4 for reference, and had plenty of room.

PS - the headrest didnt hit the front seat, it was clear of the front seat. It just seems that the seats dont quite flex into the fully flat position.....

I have just tried, first with the second row seat facing backwards to start with and then with the seat facing forwards. I dont seem to be able to upload the photos! If you PM me an email address, I can send them to you. In neither configuration were the seats completely flat but they felt comfortable in both and more so in the first. In fact so much so, I started to ask myself why I hadnt ever given it a go. I am 6ft 4 for reference, and had plenty of room.
Bugger, the wife suffers with back, flat is going to be an issue 😭

Sent email Addy 👍

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/our-removable-double-bed.32024/

This is the solution @dognero came up with for his old Rider. It works well and from personal experience I can recommend it, no odd arrangements I bought his Rider.
As far as I know the Rider and XL seats are basically the same.
I've seen a photo somewhere where the owner folded the middle row and rear row seats down and had the mattress across them.

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/our-removable-double-bed.32024/

This is the solution @dognero came up with for his old Rider. It works well and from personal experience I can recommend it, no odd arrangements I bought his Rider.
As far as I know the Rider and XL seats are basically the same.
I've seen a photo somewhere where the owner folded the middle row and rear row seats down and had the mattress across them.
Thanks, I think the XL seats are much bulkier and less foldy, those seats and that colour would be great, just need curtains, 4x4, 3.5 S3 in white and im good to go ohh and a few other minor things 😂

If your wife suffers back problems, sleeping in an Ellie with not help any...
Screenshot_20230723-143054_kindlephoto-273111491.png
You can get foam inserts for the dips to make a "level" bed (other's may chip in with solutions!)...

View attachment 91450
You can get foam inserts for the dips to make a "level" bed (other's may chip in with solutions!)...
Xl doesn't appear to go flat like that is the issue, well it would be if I had one 🤔

Having seen the pics it's doable but no where near as flat as the std seats

Thanks all

mine is an xl and all the seat go flat as in the above pic only you do not have the small seat in the middle

Jacob, you don’t need to keep “following“ everything mate, makes me have to read more threads that don’t contain any new info. Please mate.

mine is an xl and all the seat go flat as in the above pic only you do not have the small seat in the middle
I just need to find a white one with black interior and 4x4 proving to be a pain, ohh yea S3 also

View attachment 91450
My seats fold down like this also. Have found that a double inflatable mattress fits perfectly on top. Bit of a pain inflating/de-flating, but you can’t have everything. Does give a good night’s sleep. 👍

Back