• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Would you pay a campervan tourist tax?

mcameron

Active Newbie
Scotland
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
Hi, just wondering what the reaction to a pseudo tourist tax for campervans might be.

Highland council are investigating ways that a charge could be levied, details are not available as some of this depends on legislation but just to gauge feelings I thought I'd ask here.

Would you pay a voluntary annual fee just to identify you as a "responsible camper" in the area?
Would you support a mandatory per-night charge (similar to hotels in many locations around the world)?

Would your support be contingent on investment into facilities for campers?

Not sure how this could work, questions remain about permanent residents, enforcement, collection etc.. there are a lot of rented vans.

Thanks

Already pay a tourist tax in a lot of countries that is included in the campsite fees charged aboard.

Already pay a tourist tax in a lot of countries that is included in the campsite fees charged aboard.
Highland have a particular issue with campervans outside of recognised sites. Honestly, there are some people I wouldn't allow out without responsible adult supervision. Emptying toilet cassette into burns and rivers, dumping rubbish, wild fires etc.. If a regular tourist tax is introduced via camp sites it could even increase this kind of behaviour. Personally, if introduced I'd like to see it pay for more rangers.

I thought ‘grands were classed as cars so you shouldn’t have to pay.
Unless they leave it to the judgement of some bloke they have given a half baked uniform to in which case, what will he decide about my unconverted 51 where I fold seats flat and camp in it?

Fair point but I was really only looking to see if there were strong feelings or opinions. There are probably a lot of campervans that are van conversions and still say that on the V5 so you are right, there is an element of enforcement that would be problematic.

Back