• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Which petrol do you use in your 3.5L Elgrand

Elgraman

Here for life
Premium Member
Wales
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Jas
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
The 3.5L is supposed to use premium (RON 99)?
Personally I've only used ESSO 99, with once a quarter tank top up with Momentum 99. Then nearest V Power (RON99) place to me closed a few years ago.

Which do you use? Only RON99 (Momentum; V Power or Esso 99)? Or any other forecourts super unleaded (which is RON97 if it isn't one of the three previously listed)?
Or do you just use anything/cheapest RON 95?

Last edited:
This could open a whole can of worms..
Plenty of threads previously about E10 which Nissan Japan say should not be used
Post in thread 'E10 Petrol' https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/e10-petrol.27816/post-387801
Personally I always use Momentum or premium99 ron if available. If I have to use E10 then I'll fill up with E5 or better as soon as possible after.

Mine seems happiest on Tesco's Momentum. I've tried most of them as I got used to owning it but Tesco's seems to make it smile.

I have an 04 3.5 ltr 2wd Rider S Autech.
Since Esso started adding Ethanol I have switched to Momentum and my Ellie says she likes it.

Mine seems happiest on Tesco's Momentum. I've tried most of them as I got used to owning it but Tesco's seems to make it smile.

I have an 04 3.5 ltr 2wd Rider S Autech.
ive been using my local Tesco for as long as I can remember, and never had a problem. :)

Since Esso started adding Ethanol I have switched to Momentum and my Ellie says she likes it.
Yeah, that was a big disappointment. I used (use) it exclusively in the MX-5 and in Wales it was zero ethanol (and some other UK parts), which apparently really helps if your car has periods with not driving it. You're right, they've started adding it 'up to 5%'.

There's a youtube vid where some guy tests the ethanol content in many brands and surprisingly, had zero in BP Ultimate, as did TEXACO's RON 99. This TEXACO 99 brew is only available in a few places in the country though. The video is from about 2 years ago, if I recall.

Last edited:
Been using 99ron for as long as I've had JDMs, currently running 2 both thirsty...

Only eat on Thursdays, by clothes in charity shops & shower once a month (whether I need it or not)...

Wouldn't change a dam thing...😁

I have run my bus on e10 for the last 2 years no issues, still pulls well.

Can only get E5 97 RON here other than Shell V-Power and Total Excellium which I think is 98 RON, but they are only generally available in the big city fuel stations and motorway services so means a bit of a trek to find it. All 95 RON is E10 and of course the E85 flex fuel.

Looking at the flexfuel conversion kits they say that 350Z's are E85 compatible so possibly Elgrands would be too.

Must admit, after taking my new 3.5 petrol E50 to France last month I found the pumps confusing 🤔
What should I be putting in it @LeStempy ?
In the UK I'm just using the cheaper petrol.

Is this the same for the 2.5
2.5’s are reportedly able to run ok on E10 but it must be a close thing as if you add power via ecu or intake mods then premium fuel is needed
I have 2.5 and even before mods I ran on higher octane whenever possible

Must admit, after taking my new 3.5 petrol E50 to France last month I found the pumps confusing 🤔
What should I be putting in it @LeStempy ?
In the UK I'm just using the cheaper petrol.
Most stations in France have two choices, E10 95 RON petrol or diesel. The supermarkets usually offer E10 95 RON, E5 97 RON and the bigger ones have E85 which is supposedly 104 RON, but the blend changes seasonally so you don't know the petrol to ethanol ratio and could actually be E75 in winter, but anyway you can't use it unless your car has been designed or converted to run on it.

There are quite a few here who run on E10 95 RON without issue, the engine management can adjust itself to run on 95 RON without problems. The advantage of 97 RON and above is twofold, 5% less ethanol and a higher knock resistance, this means the engine management can advance the ignition for more efficient combustion which can mean a marginal gain in power and fuel economy.

Don't confuse the E number with the RON number. E refers to the ethanol content in percentage whilst RON is the octane rating which refers to the knock resistance of the fuel. Ethanol has a higher knock resistance than petrol, hence E85 being 104 RON.

So currently you have the choice of E10 95 RON and E5 97 to 99 RON. If you don't want 10% ethanol in your fuel you only have the choice of the more expensive E5 97 to 99 RON fuel as E5 95 RON is no longer available.

Is this the same for the 2.5
Nissan state the 2.5 can run on regular 95 RON unleaded whereas the 3.5 benefits from 97 RON premium unleaded. I'm not sure whether using a higher RON than 97 will be any more beneficial if the ECU optimises for a max of 97 RON or whether there is enough range in the timing adjustment within the ECU to make the higher RON ratings worth using in the 3.5.

Last edited:
Nissan state the 2.5 can run on regular 95 RON unleaded whereas the 3.5 benefits from 97 RON premium unleaded. I'm not sure whether using a higher RON than 97 will be any more beneficial if the ECU optimises for a max of 97 RON or whether there is enough range in the timing adjustment within the ECU to make the higher RON rating worth using.
The way I see it is that most jap motors were designed to run on the good stuff or at least 97 anyway, the fact that some , like the 2.5 Elgrand “can” run on 95 for me is an added benefit .
By this I mean that if I can only get the lower I’m not worried but I do top up with the higher afterwards ,
At least I didn’t think about it too much until I changed the ecu and throttle body lol now I’m in the 3.5 boat lol

Did hear somewhere that higher Ron delays detonation etc ????

Back