• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

When you lock your diff how does it feel?

Ommadon

Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
I don't really feel this is technical, but feel free to move.

So, I've only had my Elgrand Highway Star E51 4x4 for a couple months now. We recently had a little snow, but generally everything is frozen etc. I thought locking the diff seemed like a good idea, and so I did. I went on my journey without issue, thinking bring it on!! I finally came to park, and realised my turning radius was almost halved. I ran this through my mind mechanically, thinking well ok, all the wheels are locked and moving together now, so this is probably normal. I've never owned a 4x4, this is my first experience.

However, on full lock she didn't want to move, I was pressing the accelerator and it was like something was jammed.. almost like if I had accelerated and forced movement I'd blow the gearbox, or diff.. or snap the driveshaft.. I thought surely it shouldn't feel like this, should it?!

I ended up parking wonky cause I just didn't have the manoeuvrability that I needed. For some reason I had flashbacks of my Big Trak as an 80s kid. A bit odd, I know.

So I thought I'd ask other 4x4 owners experience. Is it normal to feel 'jammed' on full steering lock when your diff is locked?

I should mention my Elgrand is lowered slightly and on 18s.

Oh dear! You really should have read the manual first!
Diff lock is for extreme use at very low speeds and like most other locks, you won't be able to turn much due to the "locking effect" :(

For future: don't use at speed and don't lock your steering!

Mine is very low and on 19s

Last edited:
Page 172 in the owners manual

Attachments

• 5.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.pdf
    69.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 4
Using diff lock lets the wheels turn at the same speed so the bus will "want" to go straight ahead, she will not want to go round corners especially when all four wheels are gripping the road
It's only there really to get you out of trouble should you need more traction (only for a short time)

Oh ****. o_O Believe it or not, I did read the manual. I obviously didn't take it in, or thought I was doing something else by locking the diff, either way I need to revisit it I think!!

Cheers all for the responses. I hope I haven't hurt her!

Oh ****. o_O Believe it or not, I did read the manual. I obviously didn't take it in, or thought I was doing something else by locking the diff, either way I need to revisit it I think!!

Cheers all for the responses. I hope I haven't hurt her!
I think they're pretty tough. My wife managed to drive ours a fair few miles last week in lock. I only realised after she said it wasn't turning properly. šŸ˜¬
My fault for the charging cable knocking the button apparently!

It can cause damage but if your lucky you may just have a little "wind up" (driving over soft ground/gravel etc gets rid)---keep an ear on her!
This might help explain too...

This might help explain too...
Thanks! I had already decided to educate myself and was watching this

I get it now, and I don't think I've done anything really harmful, the only major turns were in the car park, and it was brief, but still, it won't hurt to find some gravel or sand and make sure, or just jack up the wheels and let any wind-up relieve itself.

You won't have done any harm short term, it is more like a clutch connecting the front axle rather than a differential, so if overloaded it will slip rather than break. However it will put a lot of extra strain on the driveline, so UJ's CV's differentials etc will suffer long term. Not to mention tyre wear and worse economy!

As a guide:
Normal driving: 2wd.
Bit slippy - can be anything from rain to snow, mud on road etc.: Auto - can be used at any speed on any surface.
If I don't use 4x4 I don't stand a chance: Lock. - As soon as you get back to a surface that has better traction revert to Auto or 2wd

Last edited:
or just jack up the wheels and let any wind-up relieve itself.
No need to do that, as soon as you press the 2wd or Auto button the middle coupling will release, and since the axle diffs don't lock releasing the middle coupling will get rid of all wind-up.

No need to do that, as soon as you press the 2wd or Auto button the middle coupling will release, and since the axle diffs don't lock releasing the middle coupling will get rid of all wind-up.
Oh ok, yeah, that makes sense. I've already done this so all is well. :) Cheers!

Back