• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What would you do.....?

Holdfast4130

Premium Member
South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
This question is simply hypothetical but, if I ever have it happen I'd be in a quandary....so what would you long term owners do?

Whilst bored and at a loose end, I started reading the E51 horror stories of failing engines and what owners did afterwards. Obviously, we all know @Richard Fox story and the trial and error to diagnose bottom end failure.

Owning an Elgrand (especially the modders) becomes a very invested experience and once you get past the fact that fuelling is the equivalent of running a 44 tonner on a weekly basis, it's tough to ever see yourself going back to a conventional boring motor. I'm sure most of you seasoned owners have thought about the eventual demise of your beloved beast?

So if the time ever came where the engine shit the bed, what would you do/have you done?

Mine being a series 1, I'm not too sure🤔. Part of me would want to preserve it as a potential future classic. New reconditioned engine, gearbox etc should ensure another couple of decades of motoring. However, sourcing a low mileage, newer import would be of a similar cost (although no guarantee of engine condition).

Anyway, a conversation starter. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I'd like to think I would use the opportunity to do some serious engine upgrades but in reality, the way the world is going, it'd probably be banned from the road before being finished.

If nothing else needed attention and money was not an issue I would consider a conversion to electric.
I'll get my coat!

it depends on the condition of the rest of the van, if it was still in great condition and i had the cash another engine would be the way to go for me.

or take the engine and box out and use it as a caravan 😁

This question is simply hypothetical but, if I ever have it happen I'd be in a quandary....so what would you long term owners do?

Whilst bored and at a loose end, I started reading the E51 horror stories of failing engines and what owners did afterwards. Obviously, we all know @Richard Fox story and the trial and error to diagnose bottom end failure.

Owning an Elgrand (especially the modders) becomes a very invested experience and once you get past the fact that fuelling is the equivalent of running a 44 tonner on a weekly basis, it's tough to ever see yourself going back to a conventional boring motor. I'm sure most of you seasoned owners have thought about the eventual demise of your beloved beast?

So if the time ever came where the engine shit the bed, what would you do/have you done?

Mine being a series 1, I'm not too sure🤔. Part of me would want to preserve it as a potential future classic. New reconditioned engine, gearbox etc should ensure another couple of decades of motoring. However, sourcing a low mileage, newer import would be of a similar cost (although no guarantee of engine condition).

Anyway, a conversation starter. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Me and the wife have pondered the idea of making the silver Elgrand into a camper trailer to be pulled behind the white Elgrand if we obviously had the spare funds! :p

I will get a diesel van instead, like a Vivaro/trafic etc, so I can still do all the load lugging /camping trips etc I currently do with the Elgrand. There are only 3 of us so tempted to not even worry if its a doublecab or not. I don't think it's that long away judging by the noise and vibration from my engine...!!

My Elgrand does less than 2000 miles a year so I would not be worried about having it off the road for for a year or so and as one of my grandsons is an apprentice mechanic I would be tempted to let him work on it as a project and possibly try to fit the the 330bhp 3.7 litre engine and 6 speed box from the 370z as although mine is also a series 1 and 20 years old I have it nearly how I want with quite a few upgrades and a camper conversion.

It would be a matter for the heart and the brain.

Brain says (A) whar's it worth to a breaker, (B) what's it worth if its fixed, (C) how much will it cost to fix it. (D) Is B -A < C or > C. (E) How much of a faff to do A, how much of a faff to do B.

Heart says how much do I like this one, would I have another same vehicle if this one broke, would I get a worse one or better one if I got another one.

If you've got a mint condition one or something that has all the features you want it swings towards B fixing or if its not worth much or you don't like it it swings towards A breaking it.

If nothing else needed attention and money was not an issue I would consider a conversion to electric.
I'll get my coat!
Hey @Magnu not that stupid an idea, however the minimum 20 grand cost is a definite off-putter. If the price was less than a full V6 swap then it has some legs mate 👍

The more I think about @Magnu and his electric Elgrand, the more I think about how you would go about building one. Simplest way would be to drop an engine-less and powertrain-free Elgrand onto a skateboard chassis from a scrap Tesla or the like, I imagine you would lose the Elgrand dash for the donor one because of the close integration of electronics.

Big project, suit retired millionaire with access to decent workshop unless someone wants to donate their knackered Elgrand to the local engineering college as a project o_O

It really depends when it happend.

If the engine shit the bed in the next 5yrs, I'd likely source another QD32.

After 2030 I'd strap a couple horses to the front, as engines might be a bit more difficult to source.

Me and the wife have pondered the idea of making the silver Elgrand into a camper trailer to be pulled behind the white Elgrand if we obviously had the spare funds! :p
Elgrand trailer is a fitting end to a knackered old bus 👍 @Kenzie (Mary Poppins) had one on the go, any progress?

The more I think about @Magnu and his electric Elgrand, the more I think about how you would go about building one. Simplest way would be to drop an engine-less and powertrain-free Elgrand onto a skateboard chassis from a scrap Tesla or the like, I imagine you would lose the Elgrand dash for the donor one because of the close integration of electronics.

Big project, suit retired millionaire with access to decent workshop unless someone wants to donate their knackered Elgrand to the local engineering college as a project o_O
You're putting more thought into this than me 😀, I was thinking about taking it to a firm who do conversions and issue a "make it so" command.

An alternative would be to buy a used Kia EV9 which has a similar seat layout and dimensions. Bit of an ugly front end though.

Back