• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

I've fitted front door speakers too, I got some Alpine SXE-1725s( coaxial 2-way, 220w max. 40 w rms), and can highly recommend them, just got to get the courage to do the rears as its a more challenging job to do, as best to remove seats !!!!
I've got these on the way! Don't suppose you have a 'how to' video do you? Can't wait to upgrade the sounds in my e51!

Been working in my spare time on a way of getting Waze, my favourite map/route finder app, working on a device other than my phone. My issues are:
  1. I have a WinCE Pumpkin audio unit which probably doesn't support a touch screen overlay, it has a touch screen but the documentation is hazy on support to a secondary screen.
  2. WinCE is out of mainstream support and extended support ends in 2023. Manufacturers should have really stopped making and selling them by now.
  3. It's not a bad unit and does what I want from an ICE system. I also don't want to fork out a couple of hundred on an up to date Android device if I don't have to.
My mind turned to an old Lenovo tablet I have had tucked away gathering dust. So I have been working on getting that sorted. It had a test run today, without being fully secured, and performed excellently until I went around a tight bend. I will hopefully be getting some Velcro tomorrow which will provide a secure fixing.
Hope to provide an update tomorrow.

Ah, so yours was the nice black E51, parked up outside the B&B in Conwy/Gyffin, I saw on my way home?

Seeing it cheered me up no end after a long day at work 👍
Yes that was us. We're now in Pembrokeshire till the 5th or so then back to the Southampton area.

Well I bought 2 sets of DRL's of ebay last week.
When they came they were different styles and not like the photos.
I wanted 2 sets the same just different length.
Anyway long story short. I got my money refunded and got to keep then.
So I repurposed them today into super bright boot lights.
I removed the bulb from the original one and repurposed the switch.
I know it needs a clean but I had just come back from the tip.

20220221_165521.jpg
20220221_165525.jpg
20220221_165537.jpg
20220221_165705.jpg

Night shots

20220221_181323.jpg
20220221_181333.jpg

View attachment 70100
View attachment 70102
View attachment 70103
View attachment 70104

Night shots

View attachment 70105
View attachment 70106
Ooooo this looks awesome, would you mind telling me how you did this as ibe always thought boot was dark!

View attachment 70100
View attachment 70102
View attachment 70103
View attachment 70104

Night shots

View attachment 70105
View attachment 70106
Brilliant! 😁

View attachment 70100
View attachment 70102
View attachment 70103
View attachment 70104

Night shots

View attachment 70105
View attachment 70106
Nice idea mate 👌

Ooooo this looks awesome, would you mind telling me how you did this as ibe always thought boot was dark!
These are like the ones I used.
Ebay
I just tucked them up under where the top and bottom panel join.
Extended the wires on the drivers side one as they are brighter on one edge than the other.
Extend the live wire from the passenger side one so it will reach the original light fitting.
Disconnect the battery!!!
Take the original light out.
Cut the plug off.
You only need the red wire so tape the other up.
You will see 2 wires on the back of the fitting one red and one black.
Solder 2 lengths of wire to these.
Join the 2 lives together and connect them to one of the wires you soldered to the light.
Join the red wire from the plug to the other wire you soldered onto the fitting.
Fasten the earths from the led's to the body.

Filled mine up with Tesco's finest 99ron. For the last time. :cool: :)
£90 worth.
Enough to see me around the doors this week then off @Lpgc Simon to be converted to gas.
Happy days.

Filled mine up with Tesco's finest 99ron. For the last time. :cool: :)
£90 worth.
Enough to see me around the doors this week then off @Lpgc Simon to be converted to gas.
Happy days.
Yeah you'll be back, still needs petrol til it gets up to temp to swap over lol

Been working in my spare time on a way of getting Waze, my favourite map/route finder app, working on a device other than my phone. My issues are:
  1. I have a WinCE Pumpkin audio unit which probably doesn't support a touch screen overlay, it has a touch screen but the documentation is hazy on support to a secondary screen.
  2. WinCE is out of mainstream support and extended support ends in 2023. Manufacturers should have really stopped making and selling them by now.
  3. It's not a bad unit and does what I want from an ICE system. I also don't want to fork out a couple of hundred on an up to date Android device if I don't have to.
My mind turned to an old Lenovo tablet I have had tucked away gathering dust. So I have been working on getting that sorted. It had a test run today, without being fully secured, and performed excellently until I went around a tight bend. I will hopefully be getting some Velcro tomorrow which will provide a secure fixing.
Hope to provide an update tomorrow.
So here are a couple of pictures showing two vertical Velcro strips on the back of the navigation display screen and the Lenovo tablet hanging over the front in its cover. The cover has a horizontal strip of Velcro, I figured that this would give me better adjustment for the position of the tablet.

If you are wondering why I wanted to get away from using Waze on my phone I have two reasons, my phone has an annoying irregular habit of kicking Waze into a spin on some incoming phone calls and I prefer my maps to be landscape rather than portrait.

On screen you can see DigiHUD Pro courtesy of @MrChops . It looks really good and worked well on yesterdays test drive, it was registering 1 - 2 MPH slower than the physical HUD that came with the vehicle. This is probably down to the tablet but reading slower is good in my book as it will keep me safe from speed cameras. Waze worked as well.

The tablet itself is old, but it has 2GB of RAM, supports GPS and has a 10" screen. It came with Android 6 and Lenovo never updated it. I have flashed the ROM with an unofficial version of Lineage 14 (based on Android 7) which is the last time the ROM was developed, its security patch level is Feb 2019.
What this means is that the tablet is no longer secure enough for day to day use but with a dedicated Google account on it and its sole use as a navigation unit its good enough.

Thanks to:
@cjholding for pointing out the possible touch screen overlay issue.
@dognero for posting some pictures of his tablet idea.
@MrChops for giving away his app.
A forgotten person who posted some pictures of his tablet/phone flipping over the screen using gaffer tape if I remember correctly (may not have been on this forum).

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_175501.jpg
    IMG_20220221_175501.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220221_175850.jpg
    IMG_20220221_175850.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 33

View attachment 70100
View attachment 70102
View attachment 70103
View attachment 70104

Night shots

View attachment 70105
View attachment 70106
Blinding job Andy :cool:

Yeah you'll be back, still needs petrol til it gets up to temp to swap over lol

There's up to temp as far as the engine is concerned which a lot of people would think means the dashboard temp gauge pointing half way... Then there's up to temp as far as the LPG system is concerned for switching from petrol to LPG which is only 30degrees and only takes about a minute of running on petrol, the dash temp gauge probably still points to full cold when the engine switches from petrol to LPG.

I use my Elgrand as a daily and cover maybe 15000 miles a year, I could go 6 months and not put any petrol in.

At 0.2-0.3 g/h that's about 50 starts per litre 🙂
If the engine is still warm when you start it it switches to LPG immediately, so we'd be talking almost unlimited warm starts on a tank of petrol.

But I reckon on the engine usually using around 0.35 g/h at warm idle (increasing if AC and to a lesser extent lights etc are on) and this will increase a lot when the engine is cold due to the cold start enrichment / excess fuel factor / choke aspect.. When you first start a cold engine it might use 0.6 g/h but only for a matter of seconds, though may still be 0.45 g/h after say a minute.

The choke aspect continues to a smaller extent even when the engine has warmed up past 30 degrees but only on petrol, once switched to LPG the engine doesn't need the choke effect (doesn't need an overly rich mixture to compensate for fuel that cannot be burned because it hasn't atomised properly because LPG is always atomised properly). So from a cold start as the engine is warming up there will be a point where it might do better mpg on LPG than on petrol.

There's up to temp as far as the engine is concerned which a lot of people would think means the dashboard temp gauge pointing half way... Then there's up to temp as far as the LPG system is concerned for switching from petrol to LPG which is only 30degrees and only takes about a minute of running on petrol, the dash temp gauge probably still points to full cold when the engine switches from petrol to LPG.

I use my Elgrand as a daily and cover maybe 15000 miles a year, I could go 6 months and not put any petrol in.
M8ne worked out at 2 liters per week over the last 6 months but I will only be putting 10 liters in now as that's more than enough for my driving before lpg is activated per month

Back