• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Water getting into engine bay

Magnu

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Prompted by this thread by @japrider back in July. I've been meaning to check but kept forgetting.

After hosing Magnu down to remove the Sahara sand I opened the bonnet to top up the windscreen wash and valve saver fluid.

There was a small amount of water in various places. I only used a heavy jet on a bird poo strike on the passenger side of the windscreen for the rest I used a moderate shower 🚿 sprinkle.

I've got some Tiger mastic stuff tucked away to use around the rubbers.

Water got under the rubber, and may have gone over as well, on the passenger side.
1000005960.jpg
It also got under on the driver side.
1000005961.jpg
There seems to be a missing bolt here and water went through the hole.
1000005962.jpg
Possibly another missing bolt but it was dry underneath. The square holes in this and the other pictures are above a metal panel which I'm guessing is a drainage channel.
1000005963.jpg

I don't think you will ever stop water getting into the engine bay.
Mine has all the clips in place and it still leaks in.
I won't wonder I'd everyone else's on her does the same.
Just think how much water gets on when driving in the rain from Road front and top. The seal is just there to stop the majority of the water going over the engine and electrics.

@Snapperman - this is where mine leaked.

I advise members to check and sort this out, my ECU failed with water ingress for this reason. I am also suspicious that there was water on the top of the battery which shorted the terminals as even though it was disconnected it went from fully charged to a little over 8V over a period of a week or so.

The rubbers perish with age, as we all do!
Try new push fit clips first, if still water entering, I put some silicone under rubber closed bonnet opened cleaned of excess, no probs now

Prompted by this thread by @japrider back in July. I've been meaning to check but kept forgetting.

After hosing Magnu down to remove the Sahara sand I opened the bonnet to top up the windscreen wash and valve saver fluid.

There was a small amount of water in various places. I only used a heavy jet on a bird poo strike on the passenger side of the windscreen for the rest I used a moderate shower 🚿 sprinkle.

I've got some Tiger mastic stuff tucked away to use around the rubbers.

Water got under the rubber, and may have gone over as well, on the passenger side.
View attachment 93455
It also got under on the driver side.
View attachment 93456
There seems to be a missing bolt here and water went through the hole.
View attachment 93457
Possibly another missing bolt but it was dry underneath. The square holes in this and the other pictures are above a metal panel which I'm guessing is a drainage channel.
View attachment 93458
I get some as on the air filter box as in your 2nd pic (but I don't have that green wire to the right of the air filter box)

Those missing holes (pics 3 & 4) are supposed to have 8mm plastic rivets in them. Mine didn't have the hole, but had perished and were wobbling around.
I got these. Came in two days and fitted in fine

It's probably been like it since you had it, but just didn't notice.

I get some as on the air filter box as in your 2nd pic (but I don't have that green wire to the right of the air filter box)

Those missing holes (pics 3 & 4) are supposed to have 8mm plastic rivets in them. Mine didn't have the hole, but had perished and were wobbling around.
I got these. Came in two days and fitted in fine

It's probably been like it since you had it, but just didn't notice.
I got some recently when someone recommended them (on one of your posts?). Mine are being kept in pristine condition in their wrapper, I left them unattended and the tidy police moved them to a safe location. I do have custody now though.

If that green wire isn't standard it may be due to the LPG conversion by @Lpgc or something done by the previous owner @dognero

I got some recently when someone recommended them (on one of your posts?). Mine are being kept in pristine condition in their wrapper, I left them unattended and the tidy police moved them to a safe location. I do have custody now though.

If that green wire isn't standard it may be due to the LPG conversion by @Lpgc or something done by the previous owner @dognero
Green wire?

I fitted the black with green striped corrugated sheath wire that has the label attached and red capped connector plug on it's end, that is the LPG interface connector but it is normally tucked out of the way behind the petrol ECU.

The other wire running along the front of the wiper scuttle panel is the wiring to the wiper motor (and heated screen if fitted).

Not guility regards water getting under the rubber strip, it would always be able to get under that rubber strip even when they were new.

and heated screen if fitted
A quick internet search and I have been educated again, I hadn't heard that Ford's patent had run out on this and brands other than Ford had them.

A quick internet search and I have been educated again, I hadn't heard that Ford's patent had run out on this and brands other than Ford had them.
I mean just the heated strip low on the screen under where the wiper blades sit. Not all Elgrands have it.

I personally don't much like 'proper' heated screens, they're great for the odd days the screen is frozen but in certain conditions you can see the little filaments inside the glass.

Back