• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Shall I look for 4WD or just RWD? The Hunt for an E51

Martini91

Active Newbie
London
Messages
10
Reaction score
27
Points
13
Location
london
First Name
Nacho
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
Hi all,
I am decided to buy a 3.5 unit.
I am tempted to go for the all wheel drive, not really because I need it, just for having it I guess. I go skiing to Europe just once a Year. The rest of the year would be grocery shopping and a trip to Spain in summer on well asphalted roads.

I would like to ask is the 4WD gives you problems and if it is much more expensive to maintain.
Does any Elgrander regret buying the 4x4 because of maintenance costs or failure headaches?

Many thanks
 
Last edited:
You have your own thoughts about whether or not you need or would like 4wd, so I won't comment on whether or not you should have it.

I like to have 4wd on my Elgrands because I know it's an advantage in snow or mud, it is reassuring to know I have it in case I need/want it. I tow a large boat that I launch on wet slipways, sometimes sites/fields where I take the boat can be muddy, I tow a large caravan.

I would say the 4wd system is generally very reliable. The only thing that commonly comes up is if someone has a failed front ABS sensor it causes an error code to be stored in the 4wd ECU (the 4wd system relies on input from ABS sensors)... ABS error codes self clear when the fault that caused the ABS erros is put right but 4wd error codes do not self clear. In the distant past this caused a few headaches, people fixed their ABS system and the ABS light went out but the 4wd warning light remained lit and the 4wd system wouldn't work while it was lit. But for a long time since then we have known how to clear the 4wd error code (caused by an ABS problem) quite easily using a 'pedal dance' type procedure, you don't need anything (such as a scan tool that will talk to the 4wd ECU) to clear 4wd error codes using the pedal dance procedure. My Launch diagnostics can talk to the 4wd ECU and clear error codes easier than the pedal dance but most scan tools won't talk to the 4wd ECU even if they will talk to the engine ECU, ABS, TCU, etc.
 
I agree with Simon, if you desire or think you may occasionally need AWD (I tow a big caravan) then get it. We don't generally get problems with it on the forum.
NEVER drive on tarmac or grippy ground with diff lock engaged tho or you will wreck it.
As I drive 99.9% of the time in RWD if I am on dirt, grass or gravel I will turn it all on and off a few times on the principle of use it or lose it.
 
My E51 is 4wd - bought since we have a steep drive slippery in Winter. However, I found that traction was limited on grass with the original Japanese Bridgestone tyres - tyre choice could be important and I will probably eventually replace them with Falken All Seasons . The only other downside I have found is that it's another pair of CV joint boots that can split.
 
Last edited:
I can only add that my RWD has been fine in the snow/ice in the peak district on steep hills, I did use the snow button and tyres are all weather M+S, I've also been in wet fields in it, not an issue but am sure there could come a point depending on the severity of the conditions where 4wd would be handy.
 
The only other downside I have found is that it's another pair of CV foint boots that can split.
Yes I forgot to mention that
 
Back
Top