• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

LPG thoughts

bikerToe

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
Messages
707
Reaction score
2,366
Points
233
Location
Cumbria
First Name
Tony
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
I've been thinking about the saving if ive done my maths right ( my head hurts now) my LPG tank is 30L and it cost me £30 to fill it, so thats 30L of gas, if I put £30 petrol in it at £1.39 (E5) thats 21L of petrol. so i'm gaining 9L of extra Gas which equals to a few extra miles. so if I've worked it out right thats about a 3rd extra. got to be a bonus. its a shame LPG wasn't still half the price of petrol 🤨
 
where is your tank ? im guessing its behind the rear seats ?
No, I've converted over 800 Elgrands fitting a 93L tank outside underneath in the spare wheel location, including @Parentalnightmare 's Elgrand.

It is unlikely your LPG tank is as small as 30L but it might only hold say 50L depending on which firm converted it.

On my own Elgrand I have a 95L tank underneath in the spare wheel location and have fitted the option to be able to easily add or remove a 2nd tank that is carried inside behind the rear row seats. I currently have a 2nd tank fitted behind the rear row seats (easy to remove if I want, it connects to the system using quick fit connecters), this additional tank holds 80 litres... So I can have 170 litres of LPG on board, which is great if I want to tow the big caravan or boat over 400 miles at 70mph at 14mpg without using any petrol and without needing to refuel with LPG.

I usually refuel my Elgrand with LPG at home from a red gas bottle (catering size 47kg holds 92.1 litres) using the pumps I make and sell. The bottled gas costs me around 86p per litre and it's handy because I never have to visit a forecourt and the gas is delivered to me included in that price.
 
Ahem……. I think you mean 60 mph.
Hehe yes it's a 60mph limit when towing. To be honest I do mostly stick to 65mph these days when towing, but have towed the big stuff above 70 before.

I find 65mph to be a sweet spot for towing most heavy stuff with the 3.5 Elgrand, the engine is well into it's torque curve at 65mph in top gear at that speed and seems less likely to need to drop a gear or unlock the torque convertor to maintain speed on a bit of an incline, but still needs to do one or both of those things on a slightly steeper incline, in which case these days I will usually allow speed to fall a bit on the incline.
 
No, I've converted over 800 Elgrands fitting a 93L tank outside underneath in the spare wheel location, including @Parentalnightmare 's Elgrand.

It is unlikely your LPG tank is as small as 30L but it might only hold say 50L depending on which firm converted it.

On my own Elgrand I have a 95L tank underneath in the spare wheel location and have fitted the option to be able to easily add or remove a 2nd tank that is carried inside behind the rear row seats. I currently have a 2nd tank fitted behind the rear row seats (easy to remove if I want, it connects to the system using quick fit connecters), this additional tank holds 80 litres... So I can have 170 litres of LPG on board, which is great if I want to tow the big caravan or boat over 400 miles at 70mph at 14mpg without using any petrol and without needing to refuel with LPG.

I usually refuel my Elgrand with LPG at home from a red gas bottle (catering size 47kg holds 92.1 litres) using the pumps I make and sell. The bottled gas costs me around 86p per litre and it's handy because I never have to visit a forecourt and the gas is delivered to me included in that price.
I'm only going by what the seller said about the tank, when i got home and had a few runs out the tank fuel gauge was showing empty and turned its self off, so when i filled it I stopped at £30 and the gauge showed full with all 4 lights on, looking at the tank under the van its the size of a full size wheel. what do you think Simon ?
 
The guages are pretty much useless I can fill my 60 litre tank up (spare wheel sized) and when driving away it'll still show red and empty until restarting. I would fill it till full next time you empty it, you can't overfill then you'll know.
 
No, I've converted over 800 Elgrands fitting a 93L tank outside underneath in the spare wheel location, including @Parentalnightmare 's Elgrand.

It is unlikely your LPG tank is as small as 30L but it might only hold say 50L depending on which firm converted it.

On my own Elgrand I have a 95L tank underneath in the spare wheel location and have fitted the option to be able to easily add or remove a 2nd tank that is carried inside behind the rear row seats. I currently have a 2nd tank fitted behind the rear row seats (easy to remove if I want, it connects to the system using quick fit connecters), this additional tank holds 80 litres... So I can have 170 litres of LPG on board, which is great if I want to tow the big caravan or boat over 400 miles at 70mph at 14mpg without using any petrol and without needing to refuel with LPG.

I usually refuel my Elgrand with LPG at home from a red gas bottle (catering size 47kg holds 92.1 litres) using the pumps I make and sell. The bottled gas costs me around 86p per litre and it's handy because I never have to visit a forecourt and the gas is delivered to me included in that price.

Hiya, I was thinking of swapping my 72 litre lpg tank with my friend's 90 litre one as he doesn't use it as much. We both have e51 elgrands (his is 2.5, mine is 3.5). Is this hard or dangerous to do? I'm mechanically inclined (have done timing belt, water pump, spark plugs etc) but have never done an lpg system before.

Would also be interested in your red gas bottle delivered and pump system you're selling too, as in south east LPG are about 99p+ per litre! Many thanks
 
Hiya, I was thinking of swapping my 72 litre lpg tank with my friend's 90 litre one as he doesn't use it as much. We both have e51 elgrands (his is 2.5, mine is 3.5). Is this hard or dangerous to do? I'm mechanically inclined (have done timing belt, water pump, spark plugs etc) but have never done an lpg system before.
I hope you have discussed this with your friend :joy:

Fitting the bigger tank you need to know exactly where to drill the floor for the bolts to come through, a little bit off and the tank might contact the diff or not go up properly because it is contacting the rear panel. The pipes might need to be extended, pipe end fittings might need to be changed, the wiring for the level sensor would need to be changed to the sensor on the bigger tank, the ECU level gauge type/calibration settings would need to be changed. It is possible for a DIYer to get it right but isn't as straightforward as removing the small tank and fitting the bigger tank through the same holes and with the same piping/wiring. It is obviously something I could do.
 
Last edited:
I'm only going by what the seller said about the tank, when i got home and had a few runs out the tank fuel gauge was showing empty and turned its self off, so when i filled it I stopped at £30 and the gauge showed full with all 4 lights on, looking at the tank under the van its the size of a full size wheel. what do you think Simon ?

Like others said, when you go to fill up don't stop filling until it is full. The foreocurt pump will either turn itself off or the filling speed will almost stop. Don't trust the gauge on the dash.

'As big as the spare wheel' is too vague to tell us what capacity the tank is, a few centimetres difference in diameter and/or depth can make a big difference to capacity. Your tank may have a plate underneath it that tells you the gross (water) capacity, usually tanks only allow filling to a net capacity that is 80% of the rated gross capacity. The fill limit is automatic, when you're filling the vehicle you don't need to worry about overfilling it because the fill limiter will prevent that. The fill limiter uses a float rising on the liquid gas to close the fill tank fill valve, much like a toilet cistern works. On those I converted to LPG I fit the biggest gross capacity tank that will fit (most are rated at 93L gross) and modify the float system so the tank will fill to 90% instead of the usual 80%, so not only do they have the biggest capacity tank it also fills to a greater extent of full, the combination makes a massive difference to how much gas my Elgrand LPG conversions can carry compared to most other conversions. Some installers only fitted a 60L rated tank which only fills to 80% so gives net onboard capacity of 48L, I fit a 93L tank which fills to 90% so that's 84L, so comparing those my conversion would hold an extra 75% more gas (or 36L, or nearly 8 gallons more gas) giving maybe an extra 160 miles range.
 
Would also be interested in your red gas bottle delivered and pump system you're selling too, as in south east LPG are about 99p+ per litre! Many thanks

Another problem in the South East is that there are not many forecourts selling it.

I am still producing and selling the pumps, if you'd like one send me a PM.
 
Like others said, when you go to fill up don't stop filling until it is full. The foreocurt pump will either turn itself off or the filling speed will almost stop. Don't trust the gauge on the dash.

'As big as the spare wheel' is too vague to tell us what capacity the tank is, a few centimetres difference in diameter and/or depth can make a big difference to capacity. Your tank may have a plate underneath it that tells you the gross (water) capacity, usually tanks only allow filling to a net capacity that is 80% of the rated gross capacity. The fill limit is automatic, when you're filling the vehicle you don't need to worry about overfilling it because the fill limiter will prevent that. The fill limiter uses a float rising on the liquid gas to close the fill tank fill valve, much like a toilet cistern works. On those I converted to LPG I fit the biggest gross capacity tank that will fit (most are rated at 93L gross) and modify the float system so the tank will fill to 90% instead of the usual 80%, so not only do they have the biggest capacity tank it also fills to a greater extent of full, the combination makes a massive difference to how much gas my Elgrand LPG conversions can carry compared to most other conversions. Some installers only fitted a 60L rated tank which only fills to 80% so gives net onboard capacity of 48L, I fit a 93L tank which fills to 90% so that's 84L, so comparing those my conversion would hold an extra 75% more gas (or 36L, or nearly 8 gallons more gas) giving maybe an extra 160 miles range.
nice one Simon, i will do that when the tank is next empty 👍
 
Back
Top