• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

IS ANYBODY INTERESTED IN GOING TO ANY SHOWS THIS YEAR AS THERE DONT SEEM LIKE MANY ARE.

BMR

Trader
E51 Owner
E51 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Elgrand
E51
Looking at the responses to the shows and meets section it don't look like we have as many interested this year in going to shows and meets, it could be that as the Elgrand models are becoming more popular they are being bought as an A to B type car more and not by the "enthusiasts" that will support a show life style. Its a shame because meeting up and exchanging ideas and having a laugh makes for a good time. Because of the lack of enthusiasm I am in 2 minds about organising the 2 Jap Shows at Santa Pod now. It could be we have reached a peak as to car shows and what with loosing some members to other clubs its watered down the hard core show goers, so if the members arnt interested in attending car shows as the EOC they wont get organised.

I would love to attend car shows this year but it's the shows that are failing not the enthusiasts...

What can we do about that?

We've talked about Elgrand fest but that's not really a car show, it's just a bunch of Elgrand nuts getting together in a field for a reet good laugh

Jap show is still a decent one day show and I'll be going to that.

We need something like bug jam but for the none VAG brigade... JAE used to be that but not any more... USC is a chav fest... Mod nats is crippled by rules...

So as far as I'm aware theyre the only weekend+ shows?

Now, the problem with single day shows for Elgrand owners is the expense involved for 1/2 a day of show

At least Japshow allows you to come the day before which makes the expense justifiable as you get the day, evening (which is as good as the main event) and then the main event.

This allows you to drive from anywhere in the UK, park up, relax, have a drink and a laugh and be there ready for the show first thing.

Might be worth considering other festivals.
Carfest for instance, cars + music + camping, good combo.
Or there's Goodwood, both Revival and the festival of speed are really special times.
Yeah expensive but it is what it is.

Sadly along way for me to travel to shows in the UK :( I like looking at the pictures of the event though!

We will def be doing jap show and hopefully jap show finale too this year, plus a couple of one dayer events.
Really wanted to do more but can't do mod nats due to it being Easter weekend. And I've already booked to go away on holiday when JAE is on, due to them changing the date!

It's a shame interest is low at the moment, as the amount of comments you see after events, saying, I wish I'd known about this. Or looks like you all had a great time wish I'd been there etc etc. Would suggest more people wanted to go to these shows.

Difficult to say really why there isn't more interest in events this year... Could be too early in the year for people to commit. Could be the costs, as they're not getting any cheaper. Or maybe the locations, as some people aren't as keen to travel miles and miles for a couple of days.

Have faith though Brian we've got a good core of members who love attending these meets and shows!! 👍

Since getting my Elgrand, I've wanted to go to more car events & mini meets. I've already booked a ticket for JDM Combe and like the idea of attending the Beaulieu breakfasts, however, I'm newish to UK car shows/events and the ones I have been to in the past, were only for one day as a visitor, not as a participant on a stand, which sort of scares me a little, as I honestly don't know what it entails to be an exhibitor on a 'show/event' stand, so naivety & ignorance on my part plays a big reason for not committing to more so far.

I just need to wrap my head around all the different types of shows & events, what they are about, do I want to camp and just enjoy the show or put my 'unfinished project and not ready for car shows' car on a stand.

Being single means jumping in a car and going somewhere is a doddle for me but I also have to weigh up when they are (and other outgoing costs), where they are (kin miles away & I don't have LPG, lol), and mainly the overall cost of a one/two/three day show/stopover, as some of them start to get really expensive when you factor in all the costs, so sometimes depending on when that might be, I would rather put that £250+ towards the van itself :)

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting more Elgrand members at the bigger shows, once I've decoded all the details of the events :)

@Claptrap

There really isn't anything involved in showing your car at a show, to being a member of the public. The only difference is that you park your car in the show ground, not the public car park.

Jap show, for example. You arrive Saturday and park up either in the camping field (not where we go, as we all sleep in the Elgrand, not tents) or on the show stand (which is what we do). We set up a little gazebo, BBQ, some tables and chairs. We sit around, having a laugh, have a drink and enjoy one another's company.
On the Sunday, the show opens to the public. You get up, have some breakfast, and then join the rest of the crowd wandering around, looking at all the other show cars, watching the drag racing and other entertainment.
At the end of the day, you just get in your car and leave.

@Claptrap

There really isn't anything involved in showing your car at a show, to being a member of the public. The only difference is that you park your car in the show ground, not the public car park.

Jap show, for example. You arrive Saturday and park up either in the camping field (not where we go, as we all sleep in the Elgrand, not tents) or on the show stand (which is what we do). We set up a little gazebo, BBQ, some tables and chairs. We sit around, having a laugh, have a drink and enjoy one another's company.
On the Sunday, the show opens to the public. You get up, have some breakfast, and then join the rest of the crowd wandering around, looking at all the other show cars, watching the drag racing and other entertainment.
At the end of the day, you just get in your car and leave.

Perfect, it's the not knowing enough 'basic' stuff that stops me from booking more than anything, thanks @Karl, its that sort of info that would probably help me and other 'Newbs' make a decision and commit for some of the events, cheers

I’d be up for shows, meets, events etc. Providing they are a million miles away. 👍🏼

I’d be up for shows, meets, events etc. Providing they are a million miles away. 👍🏼

Get yourself on the list for Santa Pod in June mate - Not far for you being in the Midlands (3 hour drive for us Northern members). Will be a cracking weekend. Link for info below - also check out the regional meets section for smaller club meetings, and also the shows/event section for larger events.

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/jap-show-8th-9th-june-2019.10996/page-6#post-142669

I'd be up for meets. Mine's not much of a show bus at the mo though.[/QUOTE
Theres 1 in a few weeks buddy in Yeovil. Not sure if your about but its at Haynes motor museum in Somerset. Be good to see you again if your free?

Looking at the responses to the shows and meets section it don't look like we have as many interested this year in going to shows and meets, it could be that as the Elgrand models are becoming more popular they are being bought as an A to B type car more and not by the "enthusiasts" that will support a show life style. Its a shame because meeting up and exchanging ideas and having a laugh makes for a good time. Because of the lack of enthusiasm I am in 2 minds about organising the 2 Jap Shows at Santa Pod now. It could be we have reached a peak as to car shows and what with loosing some members to other clubs its watered down the hard core show goers, so if the members arnt interested in attending car shows as the EOC they wont get organised.
I thinks full day or weekend shows can put people off, especially those with a wagon full like me. But small events like a morning or afternoon can attract a wider audience. I only put up about our local meet 3 weeks ago and there is already 23 going with 4 weeks to go. Some people don't like giving up full days or weekends. That's my opinion.

I thinks full day or weekend shows can put people off, especially those with a wagon full like me. But small events like a morning or afternoon can attract a wider audience. I only put up about our local meet 3 weeks ago and there is already 23 going with 4 weeks to go. Some people don't like giving up full days or weekends. That's my opinion.
All the different types of meets all have their own place!
The small local couple of hour morning or afternoon meets are great! And well attended if it's in an area well populated by elgrands owners. They're still fun even if there's only 3 or 4 of you there.
And as you say if you've got a van full of kids (that get bored easy! I know I've been there!!!) Then a couple of hours is long enough.
The day and weekend meets tend to bring people together travelling from further away, as its worth travelling the 3-4 hours to make a weekend of it. Where as you wouldn't do that for a morning meet.
Weekend or camping meets also give more of a chance to get to know people, chill out and enjoy a beer if you want to without worry about having to drive, or feeling that you've not had chance to chat to someone.
I love any kind of Elgrand meet. And will always try and make a meet if I'm free and can afford the petrol/ tickets to go 😁👍

All the different types of meets all have their own place!
The small local couple of hour morning or afternoon meets are great! And well attended if it's in an area well populated by elgrands owners. They're still fun even if there's only 3 or 4 of you there.
And as you say if you've got a van full of kids (that get bored easy! I know I've been there!!!) Then a couple of hours is long enough.
The day and weekend meets tend to bring people together travelling from further away, as its worth travelling the 3-4 hours to make a weekend of it. Where as you wouldn't do that for a morning meet.
Weekend or camping meets also give more of a chance to get to know people, chill out and enjoy a beer if you want to without worry about having to drive, or feeling that you've not had chance to chat to someone.
I love any kind of Elgrand meet. And will always try and make a meet if I'm free and can afford the petrol/ tickets to go 😁👍
Yes me too, just my opinion on why some aren't so popular. I love a meet or day out, my wife f#@king hates anything like that. so it's hard sometimes. :D:D

Yes me too, just my opinion on why some aren't so popular. I love a meet or day out, my wife f#@king hates anything like that. so it's hard sometimes. :D:D
I hèar you buddy. Makes it difficult in that situation

I wish there would be some interest for JAE, I appreciate its a long travel for most but members in East Anglia aren't likely to get a closer show. There doesn't seem to be any interest as the JAE thread was overrun with ElgrandFest conversation.

JAE may not be as good as previous years but it would still be interesting and a good place to get together, a lot of the time would be spent with the club so it would be what we could make it.

As I can't go for the 2 nights I can't realistically organise the weekend but it doesn't seem like anyone would attend if I could.

@Lize - I have a few issues with JAE this year.

1/ they moved it to a week that I'm not in the country, so I can't go and therefore will not be organising it. Organising JAE takes up MASSES of my time every year, and I'm not doing it again if I can't go. I'm more than happy to help arrange other meets/events that I'm not going to, as long as they don't take up a lot of time. I was planning on handing organisation of JAE to someone else this year anyway... but now that it's changed dates and I can't attend, then my hand was forced.

2/ they've ruined it. They have made the whole event this year about the music. It's a car show, yet their biggest claim is that this year they have Toploader headlining on Saturday night?! Headlining? What? IT's not a music festival! And Toploader had 1 hit 15 years ago and nothing since. Ticket prices are still £45 each for a weekend that will be attended by very few people.

Also, as for it being the only local show for people in that region. We have nothing in the North East either... until last year when someone organised a small 1 day event, which was popular and has come back in 2019. For the last 10 years I've been living up here... if I wanted to go to a show, it was minimum 3 hour drive. Big shows and events are located centrally to make it fair for most people going. But I do appreciate that those at the extremes of the country always feel the pain of having to travel.

I'm just thankful I don't live in Scotland as they have nothing :joy:

@Karl, Yes, I didn't mean that you or others that aren't going should be organising, I was hoping that I could help a small group who were interested and then potentially come home for all bar one of the nights but so far its me on my tod. Doesn't seem that a more accessible show in our area is tempting enough. Will be interesting to see what its like, with the Thursday track day they are obviously hoping to encourage extended weekend stays, I'll probably go for one day as a visitor in my car.

I'm all going to meets as long as I have time with busy family life. Love meeting other owners and having a chat even if it's only for a couple of hours. I missed the Christmas meet last year because I didn't have a Elgrand at the time for obvious reasons, that pissed me off cause as a family we were looking forward to a day out.
But I know there will be others.
But if they aren't to far away we'll be going.
Take care everyone and go to a meet and meet other members.

Back