• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Instrument Panel

Dave Hume

Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
David
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Hi All, haven't been on here a while. Originally from the north east and joined the group a few times on meets/barbeques etc coming over from Barnard Castle. I now live over in Northern Ireland. However, govt run MoT centres here and go by the book. It seems not having Mph & Kph on your speedo is a fail. Often just waved through but technically it must show both. I've checked and checked and by the book correct. So, now I have here a Lockwood dial with mph & kph on to fit. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a vid out there showing the procedure on an E51 series1 2002 model. There's a couple of good ones on the series2 which is just the speedo & rev dial but the series 1 is a complete fascia with all four dials, fuel, speedo, revs & temp and their 4 respective needles and stop pins. Any ideas or advice

It's fairly straight forward, much the same as series 2. You need to carefully prise off the needles first. The dial face is on double sided sticky and easy to remove. When you've fitted the MPH dials, put it into dial test mode by holding down trip reset and a/b buttons then switching on ignition. You will know it's in test mode as all the segments will light up. Then refit the needles as on the picture.

Dial set.jpg

If (unlikely I know) you have factory cruise control on your S1 make sure you ask them to supply you with the updated S1 dials... Updated due to info I gave them when I found their original S1 dial didn't have the cruise control features.

No cruise control. It's a black V basic model that the original Jap owner obviously bought then had a lot of factory extra's fitted but as she gets older I'm glad he/she didn't go too far as only more to go wrong. Fortunate that everything ( even the rear windows, used sparingly ) works.

All done, appears to be working all in sync. But an easy tweak if any are not quite exact. Speedo & Revs spot on and fuel looks right. You were correct, quite simple to do just fiddly. Taken off the cheesy bad looking stickers that I'd put on outer screen just to get through the MOT. And now a spare wire on the fitted GPS speedo ( will keep on a little while just to double check calibrations. Northern Ireland Govt MoT centre ready.

Next question: I seem to have a very low/subtle droning sound as I drive. Sure it's not the tyres, wondered if it was the road surface but no. Everything on gear change up and down smooth, but it's there. No knocking or evident other issues fuel consumption etc. Had rear shocks on recently and and front arm & ball joints done as in regular maintenance last year. Seems it's only started about 2-3 months ago but being subtle you wonder if you are just listening for issues or whether it's something others have had indicating something to be checked.

Probably the only damn thing I haven't had done underneath this last two years. Hopefully thats all it is, will have this checked out. At that stage where as the bodywork is all still pristine. Every button works, seats still excellent internally, there's no sense in changing this may as well run it till it drops. After passing 4 MoT's with me no problems the MpH & KpH was an annoyance.

Hi All, haven't been on here a while. Originally from the north east and joined the group a few times on meets/barbeques etc coming over from Barnard Castle. I now live over in Northern Ireland. However, govt run MoT centres here and go by the book. It seems not having Mph & Kph on your speedo is a fail. Often just waved through but technically it must show both. I've checked and checked and by the book correct. So, now I have here a Lockwood dial with mph & kph on to fit. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a vid out there showing the procedure on an E51 series1 2002 model. There's a couple of good ones on the series2 which is just the speedo & rev dial but the series 1 is a complete fascia with all four dials, fuel, speedo, revs & temp and their 4 respective needles and stop pins. Any ideas or advice
Hey Dave, glad to see someone else in Northern Ireland. Where abouts are you?

Hey Dave, glad to see someone else in Northern Ireland. Where abouts are you?
Hi Chris, we're up north west way. Garvagh nr Coleraine, been here now just over two years after many years coming back and forth on the most expensive ferry service on the planet, in the end we decided we're here that often we may as well move over. Family all up Portstewart-Portrush way. Passed MoT here early last year no issue, this year I though I'd just got a real jobsworth up at the Coleraine test centre but no. My neighbour works there too and said he was just particularly thorough. Hence the MpH / KpH issue. Anyway, done now well in advance of the next one so can't rear it's head now that the issue is 'on the system'.
Also, got a great local garage where an Ellie doesn't frighten them at all down in Garvagh. Been excellent

Hi Chris, we're up north west way. Garvagh nr Coleraine, been here now just over two years after many years coming back and forth on the most expensive ferry service on the planet, in the end we decided we're here that often we may as well move over. Family all up Portstewart-Portrush way. Passed MoT here early last year no issue, this year I though I'd just got a real jobsworth up at the Coleraine test centre but no. My neighbour works there too and said he was just particularly thorough. Hence the MpH / KpH issue. Anyway, done now well in advance of the next one so can't rear it's head now that the issue is 'on the system'.
Also, got a great local garage where an Ellie doesn't frighten them at all down in Garvagh. Been excellent
Thats great, great place to own Ellie. We are Newtowards direction. Had mine 5 weeks and have never saw one over here yet.
Might see you some day up the coast as we have a house in Portstewart.

Hah, doesn't everyone 'have a house in Portstewart'. Because of the Nat Trust charging so much now to go down the Strand we more often from where we are swing N-west via Coleraine up to Castlerock but more often Downhill beach with the dogs. Able to drive way along there, fresh water comes down from the cliffs for them to drink as needed, it's where the 4wd/snow mode comes in especially good. Off season when picking the kids up in Portrush it's West Strand before the semi regular ice creams at Morellis. Mines pictured with one of the big boys.

Attachments

• Ellie&Mendi.jpg
    Ellie&Mendi.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 16
Hah, doesn't everyone 'have a house in Portstewart'. Because of the Nat Trust charging so much now to go down the Strand we more often from where we are swing N-west via Coleraine up to Castlerock but more often Downhill beach with the dogs. Able to drive way along there, fresh water comes down from the cliffs for them to drink as needed, it's where the 4wd/snow mode comes in especially good. Off season when picking the kids up in Portrush it's West Strand before the semi regular ice creams at Morellis. Mines pictured with one of the big boys.
Will keep an eye out for you when we are up there. Gorgeous dog.

Will keep an eye out for you when we are up there. Gorgeous dog.
Just for info, he's a Hovawart. Had two at the time of this picture but we lost our old girl just before we moved over 2 years ago. We rescued a Bernese mountain dog from down in Moira last April so back to two big ones again. Was going to get another Hovie but the only litters last year were around Berlin. Berners are much calmer so maybe a sensible decision but this boy has all the delivery drivers, Posties and some neighbours terrified, very much a guarding breed. Not always a bad thing when you're new to an area.

Just for info, he's a Hovawart. Had two at the time of this picture but we lost our old girl just before we moved over 2 years ago. We rescued a Bernese mountain dog from down in Moira last April so back to two big ones again. Was going to get another Hovie but the only litters last year were around Berlin. Berners are much calmer so maybe a sensible decision but this boy has all the delivery drivers, Posties and some neighbours terrified, very much a guarding breed. Not always a bad thing when you're new to an area.
My neighbour bought a bernard puppy and it is gorgeous. Its the size of a full size dog and is only a puppy lol.

Back