• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Becoming a new owner

Magnu

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Had a phone call from Vine Place this afternoon, the 2007 E51.2 will be ready to be picked up Thursday :) which is making for a nice early Xmas present. She's pearl white and has been side converted to a campervan, LPG conversion has been done and I've had cruise control fitted as well.
Excitement levels have gone to level 11 and I'm looking forward to visiting filling stations on a more regular basis than I do with my current diesel C4.

Insurance has been interesting. Age 60, 9+ years no claims, no points, estimated mileage 6000 PA, fully comprehensive and I'm covered for the full price that I will be paying. I've insured through Greenlight who are providing the better policy for £399.57 (£46 less than Adrian Flux).
The oddity is that they have asked me to fit a Thatcham Cat1 system, I was going to fit a system of some sort as a motorhome owning friend recommended one. It's probably due to living in Sunderland, at least I'm in an NE postcode part and not one of the SR parts which get loaded higher on house insurance and presumably car insurance. It might also be due to the high value of the van.
Direct Line who I'm currently with wouldn't insure the van, my renewal with them for the C4 is around £360.

I need to get to Halfords to pick up some tyre weld as the LPG conversion has robbed me of the spare.

Last edited:
Christmas dinner by the beach then this year? I sure as hell would if I had one 😎.

I'm sure you'll wash your window In appreciation of @Rayc flashing at you

Christmas dinner by the beach then this year? I sure as hell would if I had one 😎.

I'm sure you'll wash your window In appreciation of @Rayc flashing at you
Boxing day is more likely than Xmas day. Window washing will occur :D

Had a phone call from Vine Place this afternoon, the 2007 E51.2 will be ready to be picked up :) which is making for a nice early Xmas present. She's pearl white and has been side converted to a campervan, LPG conversion has been done and I've had cruise control fitted as well.
Excitement levels have gone to level 11 and I'm looking forward to visiting filling stations on a more regular basis than I do with my current diesel C4.

Insurance has been interesting. Age 60, 9+ years no claims, no points, estimated mileage 6000 PA, fully comprehensive and I'm covered for the full price that I will be paying. I've insured through Greenlight who are providing the better policy for £399.57 (£46 less than Adrian Flux).
The oddity is that they have asked me to fit a Thatcham Cat1 system, I was going to fit a system of some sort as a motorhome owning friend recommended one. It's probably due to living in Sunderland, at least I'm in an NE postcode part and not one of the SR parts which get loaded higher on house insurance and presumably car insurance. It might also be due to the high value of the van.
Direct Line who I'm currently with wouldn't insure the van, my renewal with them for the C4 is around £360.

I need to get to Halfords to pick up some tyre weld as the LPG conversion has robbed me of the spare.
Congratulations! I've got an NE51 on order with Vine Place, hopefully due in February. I'm in two minds around the cruise control option, only used it sparingly in my current manual car - views on whether worth it on an automatic?

Congratulations! I've got an NE51 on order with Vine Place, hopefully due in February. I'm in two minds around the cruise control option, only used it sparingly in my current manual car - views on whether worth it on an automatic?
I've had cruise control on both my current car and previous car which were both automatics. I used to drive down to Great Yarmouth every three months to see my dad and found cruise control very useful on those and other long journeys. It's a waste of time driving around town. I've never had cruise control on a manual so I don't know how it compares.
At the end of the day it's a personal thing, it's something I really wanted.

I use cc in my manual GTi when going through them annoying smart motorway construction works

Update on the need for a Thatcham Cat 1 system.

I spent some time today looking at the Thatcham site and trawled through this forum looking at old posts in this thread and some other threads and have managed to work out that the factory fitted Nissan Anti Theft System (NATS) in the E51 is the same as the one in in Nissan Micra which qualifies as a Thatcham Cat 2 system. The main difference between Cat 2 and Cat 1 seems to be the addition of an alarm to an already installed immobiliser. Some companies will sell a kit for that.
Armed with this information I phoned Greenlight to ask if the addition of an alarm to what I already have would satisfy the need for a Cat 1 system. The chap I spoke to today said that it's the immobiliser that they are really interested in and that an alarm wouldn't really be needed, I asked him if he was sure so he went silent to confirm with a colleague. This colleague has an imported 370Z which has the same immobiliser and they definitely accept it without need for additional work. All I need to do is provide proof that it's fitted and working.

The paperwork has been done, C4 in for part exchange, balance has been paid, drove home in the newly converted E51. She is known as Magnu.

There is one item of outstanding work to be done, the cruise control will be fitted in the new year. Insurance on the C4 renews in the first week of January, taking delivery now saves hassle with insurance companies and also means we can go to the coast on Boxing Day and sit in the back drinking tea and eating ice cream. It also makes for a nice Xmas present.

You will notice I went for the go faster white, I would have bought a converted purple one a few weeks ago but the wife didn't like the cream plastic trims.
Wipers were activated a few times instead of the indicators
All but the last picture were taken inside Vine Place's garage as it was pissing down.

@David1972 it happened
@Richard Fox some have been pressed, more than once.
@P4ddy the curtains are electric!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 13.jpg