• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Battery light on and lost power

Joemalachy

Active Newbie
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Elgrand
E51
Region
Devon/Conrwall
Hi I have a Nissan Elgrand 2005 e51 petrol. 2.5 litre Was driving yesterday and battery light and brake light came on then I lost power. Any ideas anyone . Is it the alternator or the battery. I had to phone for recovery.

get the battery checked it is probably the original also alternator will give similar symptoms anyone with a volt meter can test for you

Thanks Bob. I started it with jump leads then disconnected the positive terminal on battery and it cut out. Does that mean it’s definitely the alternator??

Thanks Bob. I started it with jump leads then disconnected the positive terminal on battery and it cut out. Does that mean it’s definitely the alternator??
would still check both to be fair, disconnecting the pos with a fried battery might give similar results with the Elgrand (not sure), either way put a volt meter across the battery for alternator test and get a drop test on the battery

Have you had any previous problems with the battery, eg slow crank on starting? Will the battery recharge OK with a battery charger? I would suspect the alternator - don't discount an auto electrician repairing it rather than having to fork out more for a new one.

would still check both to be fair, disconnecting the pos with a fried battery might give similar results with the Elgrand (not sure), either way put a volt meter across the battery for alternator test and get a drop test on the battery
My other bus (not an Elgrand) has a dim battery light and full on brake light on a brand new battery, it's going to be the alternator or shitty contacts

Back