• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

2.5 or 3.5 V6

Hi All,
I just bought the 2.5lt and it works great. I find it has enough power for general use. I gues if you were pulling something then that'd be a different story. Why would they design and sell something that would under perform for standard usage?

My main purpose for going the 2.5 was fuel economy. I know above someone states it would be a negligent gain but does anyone know what the difference is exactly? Even a small difference in the current fuel price climate would make a difference.
Hello and welcome to the club. Enjoy.:)

My last Camper van was a VW T4 1.9 diesel!.
It was slow struggled up hills and the brakes were awful but I loved driving it!.
The road ahead always seemed clear, I just didn't look to often in my rear view mirrors! 🤣
My 2.5 Elgrand is faster, doesn't struggle up hills and the brakes are decent!.
I am more than happy with my 2.5.
Hello and welcome to the club. Enjoy :)

How come the 3.5 doesnt share many components with the 350z? I thought it was an identical engine?
Hello and welcome to the club. Enjoy. :)

As always the final choice on what you buy has to be your own decision

If you look long enough you will find an Elgrand with all the spec you want, they are out there, the final decision will rest with you. I got a 3.5 Rider S because I knew if I got the 2.5 I would always be thinking I wish I had the 3.5. The Rider has 240 ponies and flys when you floor it, and it sounds great even though mine has the standard Rider exhaust, and I am used to a 5.7 Camaro with straight through exhaust. If you are not in a rush to buy make a list of the options you want and got looking. Happy hunting.
Cheers mate. Forgot I wrote this a couple years back. I ended up with a 3.5L HWS 4x4 which now has an Impulse ECU, LPG,quad tipped exhaust with decored front CATs and sports cats (fitted before got LPG). I'm happy to have got the 3.5 and not the 2.5. would always have been at the back of my mind that I should have got the 3.5. Got MOT soon so hopefully will pass. Glad you're happy with your rider. 👍😉

I did own a 2.5 for a short period of time, took it in px for an Estima I had, around town and short runs it seemed ok, didnt have the "instant" power of the 3.5 but was satisfactory, on a longer run which only did once it was noticeably down on power compared to the 3.5s ive owned.

Fuel was about the same from what i recall, 3.5 all the way for me, took me 3 months to find the right one this time at auction.

Cheers mate. Forgot I wrote this a couple years back. I ended up with a 3.5L HWS 4x4 which now has an Impulse ECU, LPG,quad tipped exhaust with decored front CATs and sports cats (fitted before got LPG). I'm happy to have got the 3.5 and not the 2.5. would always have been at the back of my mind that I should have got the 3.5. Got MOT soon so hopefully will pass. Glad you're happy with your rider. 👍😉
Thank for the reply Chris, sorry I only noticed that you original message was a couple of years back after I sent it, but I thought I would leave it out there anyway. That was exactly my thoughts with 3.5 vs 2.5 the 3.5 was always going to come out tops with me. My Rider is a 4x4 too it was another feature that I wanted. Hope your MOT goes okay.

Thank for the reply Chris, sorry I only noticed that you original message was a couple of years back after I sent it, but I thought I would leave it out there anyway. That was exactly my thoughts with 3.5 vs 2.5 the 3.5 was always going to come out tops with me. My Rider is a 4x4 too it was another feature that I wanted. Hope your MOT goes okay.
Haha. I forgot I posted that out there. Think deep down I wanted the biggest engine possible in the van as thought it'll probs be the last ICE naturally aspirated engine vehicle I'll get till forced to get an dreaded electric vehicle. At the time of looking was looking at the 3.0L Alphards too but the look of it and the forum wasn't as nice so went for the Elgrand, which I'm glad of it. Didn't opt for the 4x4, just happened to have it which is a bonus and I'm happy to have it although the front drive shafts CV went on it the other month but managed to fix it myself with cheap reasonably priced parts from Tojo motors. Still love the van. Hopefully it Passes the MOT.

Hello and welcome to the club. Enjoy. :)
Cheers. Well that's changed a fundamental assumption for me, being that in Australia, the e51 is a "grey import", and so for engine parts I was hoping to cannibalise the 350zs, which are quite plentiful down under. Hmmm...so if I change the question, it would be fairly interesting if it's possible to do a straight swap, 350z engine to a e51 with little or no modifications to engine mount and engine bay (and existing wiring harness is straight plug and play)...

Way more hassle than it's worth. Be happy with what you have unless you have bottomless pockets.

Actually its not too bad, even easier to fit a 350z engine into a 2.5 than a 3.5, its been done quite a few times in Japan, need to extend some wiring and use a 350z ecu but its not that difficult.

Would need to port match the Elgrand exhaust manifolds to the 350 heads and cut off the inlet for the inlet manifold and turn it through 180 degrees and reweld, inlet manifold needs to be mounted back to front, ie inlet at front not at back as it is on a 350.

Thanks folks, good insights here. Cheers

Reactions: Bal
Back