• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Winter blues/ SAD discussion

Easy Rider

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
E-Bucks
First Name
Jacqueline
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Just thought I would say hi to any "winter blues" sufferers.
OH has suffered with this for as long as I have known him but this winter I have felt similar; no interest in anything fun, frustration that its dark at 5 and there are hours till bedtime.
Maybe this feeling is exacerbated by having a teenage foster child who gets home from school at 3.30 and then its dark so no playing in park/ cycling etc.
only so much doing jigsaws/ games/ colouring in and reality crap TV we can stand! Even the dog looks fed up!!
Anyone else feel this way say hi :) you are not alone!
Upside, shortest day was in December and I am told we are gaining 10 mins a week daylight. I know we have some cold crap weather to come but spring is only 8 weeks away!!!! ( Does anyone else see NY day as the turning point?)
if we start a healthier living technique now, we potentially can lose a stone by spring!!!

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
Jim
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Yep! I'm similar. I retired some 2+ years ago. Summer is fine, always out tinkering with cars, ( have 2 classic cars , 1 kitcar, and one 1940's motorbike to play with, as well as the elly ) but winter is crap, too cold to go out, weather is poor, TV is terrible, all repeats. I too believe that 1st Jan is the start to go downhill towards summer.

Crazycraig

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
E-Bucks
First Name
Craig
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Definately turning a corner now!!!

Last night was first time in ages daughter and I could play outside in daylight until about 16:30. Although it was cold she and I were both happier.

Winter is always the same 3-4 months of gloom but hey I spending more time on here and now planning meets for 2019. 🎉

Harvo

Club Rep Devon/Cornwall
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
E-Bucks
First Name
Lee
Elgrand
E50
Region
Devon/Conrwall
I definitely get affected by SAD. Working nights is a bitch this time of year with little to no daylight to be had. I take vitamin D tablets to combat this and it does help to a degree. Anyhow, the nights are slowly getting lighter......

malcolmyz85

Part of the furniture
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
malcolm
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I definitely get affected by SAD. Working nights is a bitch this time of year with little to no daylight to be had. I take vitamin D tablets to combat this and it does help to a degree. Anyhow, the nights are slowly getting lighter......
I worked constant nites for about 15years , no what u mean about about no sun , but it did help with getting to sleep threw the day for a few hours , do 2 weeks about now so not much better , still see little light , but it is turning even in the north east , light till about 4:30 now 👍👍

Ian H

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Ian
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
I suspect I may be a sufferer too. It is always this time of year I am at my worst.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Self diagnosed SAD sufferer here too. I hate the winter. It's such a drag. Alarm goes off... it's dark. Get ready for work, it's dark. Get to work, it's lighter, but still dull. All day it's dull. Finish work, it's dark. Get home, it's dark.
Coupled with the cold and the fact that my eczema plays up in the colder months makes me very miserable.

I did some reading up about it and it's not just the psychological impact of the darker, colder winter months. There is a physiological impact from the lack of exposure to sunlight. Your body can generate a lot of Vitamin D from being exposed to sunlight, so there are some things you can do to counter the effects. Taking vitamin D tablets can help towards the deficiency you suffer over winter, but apparently the best thing to do in order to combat SAD from a physiological standpoint is to use sun beds.

The UV exposure to the skin helps your body naturally create vitamin D, which is a much more efficient way of keeping your body topped up of it. Taking tablets is all well and good, but the vitamin has to be absorbed by the digestive system, rather than being automatically secreted into the bloodstream.

Of course this doesn't help feeling shit about it always being dark, the lack of getting out to do things, not being as active etc... but it can at least help to lift your mood and make you feel better until the spring comes.

Magsy

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Margaret
Elgrand
E50
Just thought I would say hi to any "winter blues" sufferers.
OH has suffered with this for as long as I have known him but this winter I have felt similar; no interest in anything fun, frustration that its dark at 5 and there are hours till bedtime.
Maybe this feeling is exacerbated by having a teenage foster child who gets home from school at 3.30 and then its dark so no playing in park/ cycling etc.
only so much doing jigsaws/ games/ colouring in and reality crap TV we can stand! Even the dog looks fed up!!
Anyone else feel this way say hi :) you are not alone!
Upside, shortest day was in December and I am told we are gaining 10 mins a week daylight. I know we have some cold crap weather to come but spring is only 8 weeks away!!!! ( Does anyone else see NY day as the turning point?)
if we start a healthier living technique now, we potentially can lose a stone by spring!!!
@Easy Rider 21st December is almost a ritual for us (although no dancing round naked or sacrificial lambs!) Lol we despise the winter, and Mr Magsy also suffers with SAD....but once the nights start drawing out, his mood lifts. 😊

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
Jim
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Prior to retiring, I worked in a large motorway control room for over 11 years. The couple of months after Christmas is well known to be "Suicide season" with bridge jumpers or potential jumpers. We got at least one a night, usually more The weather is cold and miserable, people have spent too much over Christmas then the bills come in with nothing to pay them with, Fallen out with the wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend/ family, The temp job you got before Christmas finished. The whole lot gets on top of people. Not a good time of year.

Easy Rider

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
E-Bucks
First Name
Jacqueline
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Update; noticed on dog walk last night it was still light at 5.10pm ( then went dark quickly by 5.30) it really cheered me up as had spent the day on verge of tears ( for no damn reason )
February tomorrow! YAY

peter strokosz

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
peter
Update; noticed on dog walk last night it was still light at 5.10pm ( then went dark quickly by 5.30) it really cheered me up as had spent the day on verge of tears ( for no damn reason )
February tomorrow! YAY
Spring is coming fella , took my daughter to her singing lesson and it was light through the country roads at 5.30 ...

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
February tomorrow! YAY
I have been smiling a little more every day when I finish work (at 5) and it's getting lighter and lighter. SPRING IS COMING :D

Qwiktune

Premium Member
E-Bucks
First Name
Sam
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Prior to retiring, I worked in a large motorway control room for over 11 years. The couple of months after Christmas is well known to be "Suicide season" with bridge jumpers or potential jumpers. We got at least one a night, usually more The weather is cold and miserable, people have spent too much over Christmas then the bills come in with nothing to pay them with, Fallen out with the wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend/ family, The temp job you got before Christmas finished. The whole lot gets on top of people. Not a good time of year.
I hate the thought of Christmas being a reason for people to get so down. The pressure is so high to buy everyone nice gifts.

Me and my Mrs decided one year we were not buying anyone anything for Christmas, other than our kids, and told them not to get us anything either. We still have Christmas get together and food but honestly feel happier without the stress.

I'm also a firm believer that if you don't have it, don't spend it. I don't have any credit cards, loans, store cards or any credit at all. I think that credit cards should be harder to get, especially with how easy it is to rack up thousands on them and then get trapped in a vicious cycle of debt and worry.

If anyone ever needs a non judgemental chat, dm me, I'm more than happy to listen.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
That’s only because you can now start to clean in the light instead of the dark @karl😁
Did the Elgrand and the Megane on Saturday. It would appear the light is not the issue at the moment but how absolutely fucking baltic it is out there. I honestly thought my left hand was gonna fall off... and when it warmed back up the pain was unbearable for about 10 minutes.

But the cars were clean so it was totally worth it :D :joy:

IMG_20190202_152339.jpg

IMG_20190202_152353.jpg

peter strokosz

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
peter
Struggling to find motivation to do anything.. could quite happily sleep until spring ... got so much to do but can’t be arsed at the mo ... it’s getting on the wife’s nerves ( worried) as I’m normally a very active person that loves to be busy...