• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Where can I buy an Elgrand?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
You can buy one privately through an ad on the likes of Gumtree, Ebay, Autotrader etc.

There are dealers you can buy from.

You can use a UK based agent to import for you.

You can import directly yourself through the auctions in Japan.

The easiest options are to buy from within the UK. You get to see it, drive it, get a feel for it and make a decision. Buying from a dealer in the UK is the most expensive option. They have a business to run, overheads to cover, staff to pay etc. So expect to pay a few thousand more from a dealer than anything else.

Buying privately from someone in the UK is also easy, but you are taking risks. Same with buying any second hand car privately. Make sure you check it over, check the history, check previous MOT's etc.

Importing via a UK agent will save you money, but you will have to wait. Generally these guys have people in Japan to inspect the cars for you before you buy, so you'll know you're getting what you want. Obviously there will be a fee to the importer for putting in the work on your behalf, but they will go through the auctions and find the one you want for you. Then you bid, you buy, you wait, you smile.

Importing directly from Japanese Auctions. Probably the biggest risk, but you can get some absolute bargains. To put it into perspective... E50's and E51's sell for (usually) less than £500 in Japan. The rest is shipping, taxes etc. Then dealer premiums if you go down that route. I'd not advice this for a newbie unless you happen to know someone in Japan who can look at the car for you... or better still, take a trip over there yourself and sit in an auction house for 2 weeks :D

We had a member who bought a new black one and he posted a pic on here last year I think.
He might have been in Australia - but I'm not sure.
Anyone else remember?

Can a UK dealer import a brand new one for me?

I'd see no reason why any of the usual importers couldn't get one for you, some probably only deal in auctions but most would probably have someone able to get a new one.

I would imagine the cost could be pretty prohibitive though, as 30% vat and duty on top, with shipping etc

Also a grey import means no dealer backup for any recalls etc, also it'd need an SVA test as it's less than ten years old. There would be no used parts available, and very little in way of new parts either.

Can a UK dealer import a brand new one for me?
Ignoring the potential cost issues of doing so, are you sure you'd want too? I'm sure the new ones (E52 models) are great cars but it is worth noting they are more like cars than vans compared to the previous generations. If you are happy with that, cool. For me that has lost alot of the appeal - I'd be tempted myself if they were more like the older models.

Can get you a new one but it’s gonna hurt on price!
Recon landed uk inc shipping taxes Iva start at £30k for 2.5 highway star all in and work up from there for higher spec
The boys ion here are going to say you don’t want a 2.5 so you are looking at another couple of grand for a 3.5 on top

So £35k for a decent spec? That's a good price if you compare it with eg a VW Tiguan which is the car I was considering before I got the Ellie.

Yes you are right vw know how to charge! And realistically you are getting a much better car ! Alright it is always going to be an import as I where but if you are going to keep it for a number of years does it matter? Personally I think not and how many other new elgrands are you going to see not many .

I got my E51 from Stuart Spencer Autos in Dudley. Friendly guys, good deals and with a 2 year warranty. All good so far.

I just got my E51 from Jap motors in Sheffield, the man there is so helpful and goes the extra mile to help you

I’m still researching/searching for my Elgrand for Campervan conversion. But last week I hired a 3.5 V6 Elgrand camper from Shore Campers in Bournemouth for 3 nights. Great service provided by Stefan at Shore. Now After 3 days and nights driving and camping the Elgrand, I understand the attraction. So easy to drive and very comfortable.

Mine is on a ship from Japan, using car supermarket warehouse in Middlesborough!

“Importing directly from Japanese Auctions. Probably the biggest risk, but you can get some absolute bargains. To put it into perspective... E50's and E51's sell for (usually) less than £500 in Japan. The rest is shipping, taxes etc.”

If only this was true.... mine sold for 500000 yen and was quite cheap as it needed new tyres and a new windscreen which puts the domestic bidders off a bit so i was lucky..... some of the others i was looking at at the time went for almost a million yen.... 500000 yen was roughly £3200. Then you pay derigistration fee and a fee to the agent in japan... about a grand iirc. The roll on roll off shipping and insurance was about 900 quid... then you pay duty 30% on the value of the car plus shipping, then vat on top of that. The whole lot came to £8000. This was 2 years ago and the exchange rate has changed a bit. Using an agent bagged me a 25k miles car in spotless condition. As you can see it is impossible to bring a car like that into the uk and sell for 8000 as a dealer...you’d be working for nothing. The cars that the dealers buy are much cheaper in japan because they are in poor condition and the locals dont want them, but they cost you the same as i paid because the dealer has to mark them up by 3000 to make a living. Join a japanese auction site and see the selling prices in japan for yourself...look at the milage and grading... only the high milage cars with low grading ar cheap, the better ones aren’t so cheap because the locals want them and also all the agents who are bidding for the UK, NZ and Australian markets want them as well.... Use an agent and get value for your money. The agents target cars that are out of shaken (mot) and need a bit of work ie new tyres....these are the ones the locals aren’t so keen on and sometimes you can bag a bargain...but not always as there is competition for the best graded cars.

Mine is on a ship from Japan, using car supermarket warehouse in Middlesborough!
Hi. Has your Elgrand landed in the uk yet? How did you find Car Supermarket? They have an XL for Sale still in Japan. I'm tempted.

Hi jclarkson,
Sadly it was damaged in a typhoon so wasn't shipped. I paid 1000 deposit which they returned as I sourced on from somewhere else.

Hi jclarkson,
Sadly it was damaged in a typhoon so wasn't shipped. I paid 1000 deposit which they returned as I sourced on from somewhere else.
Poor man, have you got your Elgrand?

Back