• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What would you like to see from this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elementian

Admin
Staff member
Wales
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Geraint
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
What would you the members like to see from us the admin team do to this forum to make it a better user experience.

This is your chance to have your say and push the forum in the direction that you the user would like to see.

Please no banter in here we want open honest answers so we can improve the user experience.

Admin team will be actively monitoring this thread.

How about reducing the subscription fee but making it applicable to everyone, and then doing away with the ten post rule which is a regular source of unpleasantness?

People ask questions about information already available and I'm not sure if they've not read/searched threads or if they've been put off and confused when the thread has become overrun with loads of pages of discussion weakening the initial information presented. The original cats one is now 38 pages and Robs one about the options is getting chat on it.

The FAQs is useful but maybe have a review of the FAQs/Technical sections and create a locked thread with assorted information for common newbie questions so they can read it on a condensed fashion in one place - I'm thinking along the lines of creating posts in the thread about certain subjects and then just add quotes rather than trying to re-write anything.

Cats is the obvious one and ICE seems to get a lot of already answered questions, not sure how you would tackle suspension and the will these wheels fit type enquires. It maybe that we need a locked thread in some of the technical sub-sections, so for example for ICE, maybe one which details what you need to do for the different series. Air con leak is another example.

If further information can be added I'd suggest the user makes a new thread as usual with their information in the relevant forum section and requests admin to add the information to the sticky thread so it could be reviewed and deemed useful or not.

I'd be happy to put together a list of informative posts in various topics for you to review as a starting point.

agree with Lize above some of the threads become overrun with chat that has nothing todo with the original subject
reducing the subs is not an option as is is great value for money
and I think all you admin do a great job and I for one thank you all very much

I find that the forum search doesn't work very well at all and like @Karl said it's easier to use google and then get to the article or information that way.
If this could be made to work properly and people could see a taster of the info they want in the results, then I'm thinking a subscription like @Stempyuno suggests (but still £12 or more) would alleviate the continual starter for ten questions, I find the "I just need to do 10 posts" thing clogs up the threads and I agree with @Lize

Last edited:
That is a good idea Liz, supplemental to it would be if there is general chat appearing to cross over the sticky threads content some sort of pop up or tag advising there is a detailed thread with a link to it might avoid a lot of repetition/clogging chat with tech content already covered in detail - not sure how that can be achieved however.

I have been really impressed in my short time here - the content is all there (but can always be expanded upon) - maybe navigating it efficiently is the biggest challenge. But I am new to this.

I ask noob questions BUT I do actually search before I post to see if there is a thread that's answered my question. I find search doesn't always dig up relevant posts. Not sure how this could be improved upon, and I'm not even totally sure I'm right - it's just an impression I've formed.

The 10 post rule was a bit annoying at the start but I can see its strong points - it prevents lord knows how many visitors from signing up, posting one 'should I buy an Elgrand' thread and never returning to read the responses.

All in all, I really like the community here. Good sorts, all. There are always improvements that can be made here and there I suppose but the fundamentals are spot on :D

What about dropping the ten post rule and replacing it with a time delay of say 5 days before the full forum opens up.
It might stop all the ‘need to get to ten posts’ spam messages

I'm happy to pay £12, I suggested lowering the fee to encourage membership in supposition that revenue would not be lost if made applicable to all members. The FB group would still be free.

Maybe it would be possible to create a page where a non member lands with @Lize's suggestion of a list all the commonly asked questions, with links to the relevant thread. Access would then be granted to the threads on payment of the membership fee. That way new members would always have a starting page to work from.

I definitely think the search needs sorting out. Pages for non paid members with snippets is a good idea and paid members get all the how to details. I don't like the 10 post rule. Maybe free access to the whole site not including the how too for a week then £5 for a months access or £12for the year. Maybe an incentive for those who pay for the year. And if you do a how too guide that's approved and pinned you get £20 benifits of a yearly membership should be advertised. Maybe more moderators and a banter section

Last edited:
Banter and chat can get in the way and it feels natural on here, some love it some don’t.........is there a way of avoiding it clogging threads without stopping the enjoyment of using the forum though ?.....maybe an original poster can stipulate some how and the rest of the thread have some kind of icon on replies that suggests no banter or different design/colour for threads were banter is either not allowed (tech etc) or just not wanted???

Totally agree with @Lize particularly the idea of locked threads covering popular topics/faqs. Recognise the difficulties involved in creating original pages from the massive threads that have developed on many topics and the mechanics of keeping them up to date as ideas/opinions develop but a wiki style library of key topics could be invaluable.
Looking at the Latest Posts part of the forum it is frequently dominated by new introductions and comments on the 10 post rule. I do like the idea from @dognero of an initial 'free' period. Those who see the value and want to become part of the community will be more likely to want to join up for a small annual fee. Those that dont can get what they want then move on. No great loss to the rest of us.

Perhaps add an 'irrelevant' button to flag up thread hijacking (guilty).
Really like this idea.
Is it possible?
If so then this has to be a brilliant user influenced way to automatically (for Admin) clean all of the threads.
Data usage (wastage) would also greatly reduce.
It's a big YES from me.

I tried the facebook site for a day and not for me. I don't generally do social media of any description except this and one other and my views are:

1. Subscription a good idea for those who want to go all in, newbies maybe £2 for one month trial (enought to get all they want), refundable if taking premium offer. Lose the 10 post rule and newbies should only have introduction posts if taking one month or premium. Actually lose premium and just be a member.
2. Obvious open source for casual visitors who only probably want tips on buying, getting spares, service, repairs and maintenance links hopefully negating the 10 post clog up saying Hi.
3. Those visitors who want to get more tech information, have to have a one months trial or take premium offer.
4. Agree with some that you can't always get what you want (easily) ( song there somewhere) and it often needs some wading through, I think making it simple to get to the tech sites for dims like me, thereby negating the proliferation of "help me" posts (guilty sometimes). Perhaps a singular help tab that people can post "out there" requests, dildos and all.
5. Keep the humour and banter rolling (we are kids at heart).

Thats all folks and thanks for making me smile thus far..........

But it should only be available to the OP of the thread, otherwise it would be abused.
I don't think so.
Not if there is a variable count.
If for instance if a post is deemed irrelevant or not wanted for any reason by say 50 (or what ever) users only then would it be deleted.
This would create a democratic free vote as it were.
With the natural time delay so that the post is fairly viewed and peer judged.
Obviously hide all the viewers 'irrelevant tick' from the poster so there can be no anomosity.
This could work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back