• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

Yeah I can imagine it felt a tad errr 'wallowy'
The reason I ask is I've had 2 blow outs before 1 in a sprinter van loaded to the max with band equipment whilst doing about 90 it was a right wrestle to get it over to the hard shoulder and not wipe every one out around me. The other was in a transit also loaded to the max with band equipment whilst doing about 80 and that was really easy to control. Both blowouts destroyed the rear drivers side tyre in seconds leaving just the rim for grip.

The reason I ask is I've had 2 blow outs before 1 in a sprinter van loaded to the max with band equipment whilst doing about 90 it was a right wrestle to get it over to the hard shoulder and not wipe every one out around me. The other was in a transit also loaded to the max with band equipment whilst doing about 80 and that was really easy to control. Both blowouts destroyed the rear drivers side tyre in seconds leaving just the rim for grip.
Well at least you learnt your lesson about speeding in a van after the first time it happened..................... Ah wait. 🤣🤦

Well at least you learnt your lesson about speeding in a van after the first time it happened..................... Ah wait. 🤣🤦
Maybe I was quoting kmh. I think you will find I make no mention of mph or kmh 😃 plus twice in 25 years is nothing when you think of the distances covered in that time.

Maybe I was quoting kmh. I think you will find I make no mention of mph or kmh 😃 plus twice in 25 years is nothing when you think of the distances covered in that time.
I'll let you off, just don't do it again 😂

How's it going with your Ellie? You still loving it? I think you only got yours a few weeks before us IIRC.

I'll let you off, just don't do it again 😂

How's it going with your Ellie? You still loving it? I think you only got yours a few weeks before us IIRC.
Of course I'm loving it. What's not to love. Its the ultimate family vehicle if you as me. As long as we gloss over the fuel consumption figures. Haha. Even my wife likes it and she never likes my cars. 🤪

Coming off a roundabout near seaham. Tyre blew and by the time I'd made it somewhere safe it was completely destroyed.

Then I found out the aftermarket wheels didn't let the factory wheel wrench fit in their aperture. So I couldn't change the wheel. Thanks previous Japanese owner.

Good times.

Luckily found a friendly tyre shop who lent me some tools and did me a part worn to get me home. Thanks LJM tyres, you're a legend.
These things happen in the Seaham triangle! Murton road out the bottom?

know that felling :( had the front left tyre go just after coming off the motorway :eek: still fooked it trying to find a safe place to stop :( I was going fast on the motorway so very lucky :eek: only had the grand about 30mins I had just picked it up :mad:

Of course I'm loving it. What's not to love. Its the ultimate family vehicle if you as me. As long as we gloss over the fuel consumption figures. Haha. Even my wife likes it and she never likes my cars. 🤪
Oh this is good then. Also ditto re the other half, my Husband doesn't usually get too excited about anything let alone a car and he adores the Ellie, really is something about them isn't there.

So the big question is how did the Elgrand handle when it blew out? Was it a twitchy bum moment?
Clearly glad everything turned out well. 👍

You know what, it was surprisingly stable. It was just a racket for a few 100 metres, not that I wish to repeat it.

Coming off a roundabout near seaham. Tyre blew and by the time I'd made it somewhere safe it was completely destroyed.

Then I found out the aftermarket wheels didn't let the factory wheel wrench fit in their aperture. So I couldn't change the wheel. Thanks previous Japanese owner.

Good times.

Luckily found a friendly tyre shop who lent me some tools and did me a part worn to get me home. Thanks LJM tyres, you're a legend.
First thing i do when i get a new motor is jack it up,take each wheel off in turn and replace👍before i REALLY need to😉.at least if they are too tight or tools don't fit you can sort it😎.last place you want to find out is on busy motorway in rain/snow/fog etc😳😬😬

Years back had blowout on front wheel of 7.5 tonner at 70(mph)😬😬scary but held it ok😉😉.a lot of folks say they've had blowout when they really mean a flat or puncture😉you'll know the difference when it happens😂😂😂

Years back had blowout on front wheel of 7.5 tonner at 70(mph)😬😬scary but held it ok😉😉.a lot of folks say they've had blowout when they really mean a flat or puncture😉you'll know the difference when it happens😂😂😂
You certainly do. Booooom!

It was more of an aggressive hiss than a proper bang but loud enough to concern me deeply and this is what was left...

1542644420004.png

Good times.

know that felling :( had the front left tyre go just after coming off the motorway :eek: still fooked it trying to find a safe place to stop :( I was going fast on the motorway so very lucky :eek: only had the grand about 30mins I had just picked it up :mad:
Blowouts seem to be a commonish problem with the tyres left on from Japan.

Worth a read from @AlanM

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/jap-tyres-a-cautionary-tale.5149/
It was more of an aggressive hiss than a proper bang but loud enough to concern me deeply and this is what was left...

View attachment 11325

Like @Phil mentioned above, I presume this was a Japanese tyre imported on the vehicle @Bass? Due to the state of the roads in the UK these poor tyres must get some serious battering!!!

Another very good reason why all new imports should have their tyres checked properly, and changed accordingly :)

I was bl**dy lucky a few years back when I came to change my rear tyres from Japanese to UK, tyre guy said I was lucky it didn't blow out as it started falling apart within the tyre!! Found this out after travelling 6000km around Spain in 2016!! :eek::eek:

Very lucky indeed Richard, but found out in good time :)

I was bl**dy lucky a few years back when I came to change my rear tyres from Japanese to UK, tyre guy said I was lucky it didn't blow out as it started falling apart within the tyre!! Found this out after travelling 6000km around Spain in 2016!! :eek::eek:

Like @Phil mentioned above, I presume this was a Japanese tyre imported on the vehicle @Bass? Due to the state of the roads in the UK these poor tyres must get some serious battering!!!

Yeah it was the Japanese tyre imported with the vehicle. I'd just checked all the pressures two days before and had a look at them on the ramp when it was in getting the brakes done.

I was planning to get some new boots after the cats were out.

Back