• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

I did a bit of driving in Italy.
Interesting is all I can say really. Very interesting.

I did a bit of driving in Italy.
Interesting is all I can say really. Very interesting.
I did the Dolomites in a Ford Orion Ghia i, four people boot full of luggage and a roof rack, man those bends where spectacular and the roads where empty apart from the coach I had to overtake and being able to look out of the drivers side window and the shear drop........

Man I miss driving like it was back in the 90's.......

I did the Dolomites in a Ford Orion Ghia i, four people boot full of luggage and a roof rack, man those bends where spectacular and the roads where empty apart from the coach I had to overtake and being able to look out of the drivers side window and the shear drop........

I really hear you! Ah, the 90s. Just before the gatsos, and "safety measures". When cars were light and fun to drive.
I remember the A6 between Lancaster and Preston had a suicide (middle) lane all the way, and national speed limit too.
Now it's mainly 30-50mph and speed cameras and no overtaking opportunities

In 1989 I could drive the 350 miles from here to Newquay in Cornwall in 3 and a quarter hours in the early hours of a weekend morning, just had to watch out for police on raised motorway look-out embankments.

The early to middle 90's had grey camouflaged speed cameras with no warning signs and locations were not published. police hiding behind hedges and jumping out with speed cameras, nobody had satnav or mobile internet to know where the cameras were,

Progress in a way though because in the 70's people used to do a Mungo Jerry... Go out for a countryside pub crawl in the car on a sunny Sunday afternoon and get completely blathered lol.

But there has definitely been a change in standards of driving... e.g. loads more middle lane hoggers (who don't even pull over if they're doing 50mph and you're coming up behind them with a trailer on the back so are not allowed to use the outside lane), could go on and on with examples of types of bad driving you wouldn't expect to see happen very often in the 80's but you expect to see now. Local to me there's a car park that has separate entrance and exit with a pedestrian area (raised except for level wheel chair access bit) between entrance and exit, the other day a driver wanted to turn around on the main road but instead of entering the car park and going around it (he only have had to go around 5 cars widths into the car park) to come out the exit he just went in the entrance and drove over the pedestrian area to come out the exit in full view of a police car and police did nothing... If that had happened in the 80's the police would have pulled him.

Last edited:
In 1989 I could drive the 350 miles from here to Newquay in Cornwall in 3 and a quarter hours in the early hours of a weekend morning, just had to watch out for police on raised motorway look-out embankments.

The early to middle 90's had grey camouflaged speed cameras with no warning signs and locations were not published. police hiding behind edges and jumping out with speed cameras, nobody had satnav or mobile internet to know where the cameras were,

Progress in a way though because in the 70's people used to do a Mungo Jerry... Go out for a countryside pub crawl in the car on a sunny Sunday afternoon and get completely blathered lol.
Funny same Orion, went through border control in Poland and cranked it up, it was raining and I went past a park up Police car with a radar gun pointing in the road and attached by a cable to the Police car, I think I was doing about 100mph and all I caught in the RVM was the Policeman exiting the car and waving his finger at me in anger lol........

Bet there were donuts involved!
Back in the 80's there were plenty boy racers doing donuts in the car park, there aren't now.. But I think you mean the police or that driver wanted donuts lol.

You did remind me of a time just after Xmas 1989, it was an icy day and I was bored in the house so went for a drive, ended up on that same deserted car park practicing driving on ice and doing figure 8's around the flower beds. But then on my way out (I was driving normally at that point) I was flagged down by an angry policeman who had seen me going sideways around the car park. He didn't recognise me but I recognised him as the step dad of one of my old school mates, and he would normally have thought I was a sensible lad (except for the incident with the anarchists cookbook bomb we set off in his garden). He gave me a rollicking but seemed to at least partly accept my explanation of practicing on ice and let me get on may way.

Back in the 80's there were plenty boy racers doing donuts in the car park, there aren't now.. But I think you mean the police or that driver wanted donuts lol.

You did remind me of a time just after Xmas 1989, it was an icy day and I was bored in the house so went for a drive, ended up on that same deserted car park practicing driving on ice and doing figure 8's around the flower beds. But then on my way out (I was driving normally at that point) I was flagged down by an angry policeman who had seen me going sideways around the car park. He didn't recognise me but I recognised him as the step dad of one of my old school mates, and he would normally have thought I was a sensible lad (except for the incident with the anarchists cookbook bomb we set off in his garden). He gave me a rollicking but seemed to at least partly accept my explanation of practicing on ice and let me get on may way.
Front wheel drive and McDonald's trays stuck under the rear wheels.........

Front wheel drive and McDonald's trays stuck under the rear wheels.........
No, I wouldn't buy a front wheel drive car in those days.

It was immediately followed by “why is there a cross indicated next to rear sunroof?” Then “FFS why isn’t the sunroof working? Had the car less than 2 weeks!!!”
Then was shown by my wife the sunroof lock button was selected 🙈

What the fuck were they thinking when they designed the glovebox on the E51!

I know there is a lot behind it, but the dash is massive and glovebox is the size of a large letter....
It’s a little on the tight side, though in fairness you can get a pair of gloves in it so.......

Trading standards wouldn’t be interested
😂😂😂

What the fuck were they thinking when they designed the glovebox on the E51!

I know there is a lot behind it, but the dash is massive and glovebox is the size of a large letter....
I answered this earlier or a similar post.

Remembered to ask if you discovered the secret little box under bottom left glovebox ???
Found the original jap instruction manuals in there 😊

Back