• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Oh no MrRob_in That's not true we Do Not all accept the world is not flat. There are now well over 20,000,000 videos on youtube alone. I personally know many 100s of flat earthers. In a recent ITV poll 17% of 135k voted earth flat. The world record long distance photograph Pic De Finestrelles to Pic Gaspard. At 275 miles is fully visable should be hidden behind over 9 miles of curve! and there is tons more proof. pm me for a chat an argument or for more info
!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no MrRob_in That's not true we Do Not all accept the world is not flat. There are now well over 20,000,000 videos on youtube alone. I personally know many 100s of flat earthers. In a recent ITV poll 17% of 135k voted earth flat. The world record long distance photograph Pic De Finestrelles to Pic Gaspard. At 275 miles is fully visable should be hidden behind over 9 miles of curve! and there is tons more proof. pm me for a chat an argument or for more info
Hahaha, excellent very funny, come on no trolling us with 99RON lunatic fringe idiocy.

I am using 91 RON for my E50. Is it OK? The other option in New Zealand is 98 ROD. I am just scared - not to broke anything :)

So is anyone able to say exactly what the compression ratio is in the 3.5?
There seems to be a lot of confusion about fuel here. Jap local fuel is top shelf and the engines are designed to want it. Yes you can chuck in sub standard fuel but it will detonate and the ECU senses this and cuts back ignition timing to prevent it. This reduces power and response and worsens fuel economy.
Those saying put in a tank of premium now and then, well that just confuses the computer! Just as it has adjusted to the freedom of decent fuel and advanced timing again, you chuck in crud and it detonates and has to cut back again. If you fill with crud, keep using it so at least the timing stays retarded.....

What sort of fuel tank is in there? Plastic, steel? What about fuel lines? Steel or hard plastic? The plastic parts mean designed to take ethanol. Steel tank and lines mean steer well clear of it as it will corrode them and clog filters and injectors.
If it takes ethanol ours will be run on e10.

I have been told that Petrol degrades over a period of time,? I know that doesn't affect most but because we are lpg'd it has taken 3 months and 3000 miles for us to use less than 1/2 a tank (which was put in by the previous owner) and that's with running out of gas twice. Wonder what RON we was running on at the end. So just added £20 of V Power

I have been told that Petrol degrades over a period of time,? I know that doesn't affect most but because we are lpg'd it has taken 3 months and 3000 miles for us to use less than 1/2 a tank (which was put in by the previous owner) and that's with running out of gas twice. Wonder what RON we was running on at the end. So just added £20 of V Power
You should always now and again run on petrol for an extended period so as to keep things all ok on that side and then enjoy your LPG upgrade. Yes petrol can degrade over time but we are talking years not months. I have been storing classic cars for over 30 years now ( My own ) and I always run them up and add fresh fuel every now and then to keep things all stirred up nicely. Some cars ( My Aston for EG ) has submerged twin fuel pumps inside the fuel tank thus I have to keep it at least 3/4's full all the time otherwise the pumps dry out and can fail without warning. The submersion in fuel keeps them lubricated and running correctly and at nearly £3000 to have them replaced I aint taking any chances which is why I keep my fuel tank well stocked.:p

I've been meaning to post an update. Since I've had a good run of using only momentum 99 the issue I was having with a slight stutter when lifting off the accelerator slightly at about 50mph has gone. Nothing else has been done differently . Could just be a coincidence of course but thought it was worth mentioning as nothing else has changed :)

Got some cataclean as mentioned by @Brendan1969 in another thread, to go in before the MOT too. Don't want to tempt fate but she's running well :D

I've been meaning to post an update. Since I've had a good run of using only momentum 99 the issue I was having with a slight stutter when lifting off the accelerator slightly at about 50mph has gone. Nothing else has been done differently . Could just be a coincidence of course but thought it was worth mentioning as nothing else has changed :)

Got some cataclean as mentioned by @Brendan1969 in another thread, to go in before the MOT too. Don't want to tempt fate but she's running well :D
Good news Phgil. I too have been using Tesco momentum 99 now for about a month and I have noticed a slightly better response so I will continue to use it for now. Cataclean ive used loads of times and it is good stuff. make sure you put it in with ONLY a 1/4 of a tank of fuel Phil so as to not dilute it too much and then driver your Elgrand for a good 30 miles to push it through the fuel lines and catalyst. If your M.O.T is due give her a good service too and airfilter change for good measure.

I also use the slick 50 fuel addditve every 3 months and add this to a full tank of fuel so it runs through and keeps things all nice and clean so to speak. Its only £15 a bottle.

Good news Phgil. I too have been using Tesco momentum 99 now for about a month and I have noticed a slightly better response so I will continue to use it for now. Cataclean ive used loads of times and it is good stuff. make sure you put it in with ONLY a 1/4 of a tank of fuel Phil so as to not dilute it too much and then driver your Elgrand for a good 30 miles to push it through the fuel lines and catalyst. If your M.O.T is due give her a good service too and airfilter change for good measure.

I also use the slick 50 fuel addditve every 3 months and add this to a full tank of fuel so it runs through and keeps things all nice and clean so to speak. Its only £15 a bottle.

Thanks Brendan. Oil & filter (again) & coolant a definite this time. Air filter & cabin filters done but will check them again. Had new discs & pads all round last year so will get him to give them a check over & look into air con issue plus anything that comes up on the MOT. Still got to sort indicator in wing mirror but that's the only outstanding advisory from last year so not too bad :)

Great info - thanks!
LPG converted here - but will take on board for when the engine's not warm enough!

I have had multiple problems with 95ron supermarket fual from Tesco and Morrisons on different cars over the years i recommend not to use cheap supermarket fual if u r using supermarkets i suggest what ever there premium is.

It looks as if Japan has 89 RON as regular and 96 RON as premium.

Reactions: Sid
I've had my ellie for a few weeks now and I've filled up with both standard unleaded and super unleaded petrol and I can say that there is a definitely a performance improvement using ron99 fuel! - it pulls better, smoother and quieter with no flat spots. The higher octane is obviously quite a bit more expensive but I've found that when driving the ellie I tend to drive like Morgan Freeman did when driving miss Daisy cos it's such a nice drive - it's good to have the knowledge that I also have the ability to leave boy racers spitting out dust though as well!

I've had my ellie for a few weeks now and I've filled up with both standard unleaded and super unleaded petrol and I can say that there is a definitely a performance improvement using ron99 fuel! - it pulls better, smoother and quieter with no flat spots. The higher octane is obviously quite a bit more expensive but I've found that when driving the ellie I tend to drive like Morgan Freeman did when driving miss Daisy cos it's such a nice drive - it's good to have the knowledge that I also have the ability to leave boy racers spitting out dust though as well!

Same here , not long after buying ours i done a 300 mile round trip and was getting a average 23mpg averaging 65-70 mph with ordinary unleaded petrol ,
On the same journey a week later , i filled with V-power and repeated the best i could and i was averging 24mpg .
Now heres the thing after both journeys , when i booted it , the difference on accelaration made me smile big time!!!

Back