• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Just want to correct a few misconceptions regarding Elgrand VQ35de....

Facts:
Handbook states use premium unleaded.
Fuel filler cap label states use premium unleaded.
In Japan high octane or premium unleaded refers to 96 RON, while regular unleaded is around 92 RON.

Brian is absolutely correct. He can also explain the technical details. The VQ35 in the Elgrand is low compression and has a different inlet manifold compared to the VQ35 used in the Fairlady (350Z to us). 95 RON fuel is fine. I also run mine on 95 and get 18 mpg around town, 26 mpg long run. No issues in the 0-60 time.

If you run 4 cats do NOT use fuel rated over 96 RON (including LPG) as it will accelerate cat deterioration, particularly if the engine over fueling recall had not been performed.
is the engine over fueling recall something I should look in to if I've recently bought a fresh import? I was fairly happy to get 9.3km/l on a long run as it seems thats about as good as anyone gets so makes me think my wagon is running pretty healthy!?

There is only one point of difference between the UK Regular Unleaded Petrol (RON 95) and the Japanese Premium Unleaded (RON 96)
Will this make that much difference in the grand scheme of things? I would have thought not but I am no expert.

There is only one point of difference between the UK Regular Unleaded Petrol (RON 95) and the Japanese Premium Unleaded (RON 96)
Will this make that much difference in the grand scheme of things? I would have thought not but I am no expert.
My advice to you is try both I use 95 Ron never had any problem in the last 3 years did try the dearer stuff but made no odds to me, but some people have to use the 99 for some reason presuming their engines are not in very good condition.

Last edited:
It's not just about the RON.

Does anyone know if we can use this new E10 stuff that's coming out in our 2005 Elgrand?

Nobody knows. It's never been tested on an Elgrand.

So travelling the highlands is going to be an issue if E10 is no good for Elgrands. There’s hardly any Tesco or Shell garages above Glasgow. Maybe we’ll need a forum map of premium fuel locations across the UK

So travelling the highlands is going to be an issue if E10 is no good for Elgrands. There’s hardly any Tesco or Shell garages above Glasgow. Maybe we’ll need a forum map of premium fuel locations across the UK
You can also get 99ron fuel from Esso now too 👍

If all I could get was e10 then I would use that but then make sure that I didnt leave it in the tank too long (fat chance of that on a road trip in an Elgrand!) and fill up with premium as soon as possible after that.

Hi there, just saw the news today about E10 and I was totally unaware of this change. Had a quick look on a compatability website and it stated E10 OK for all Nissan petrol engines after 2000. But I will stick to super unleaded in my 2003 Elgrand when available. Regards Jackh
PS:- also stated E10 ok for all BMW engines irrespective of age so my 1998 323i convertible also ok.

Hi there, just saw the news today about E10 and I was totally unaware of this change. Had a quick look on a compatability website and it stated E10 OK for all Nissan petrol engines after 2000. But I will stick to super unleaded in my 2003 Elgrand when available. Regards Jackh
PS:- also stated E10 ok for all BMW engines irrespective of age so my 1998 323i convertible also ok.
Govt checker is based on info from manufacturers of cars made for European Market. See here

I missed the e10 change out and put £20 of the new e10 in my 2003 e51 and engine light came on said It was running rich or summit ive had to run a few tanks of super unleaded through it to stop the fault light coming back on from just putting a little bit in once! strongly recommend e5 only for these old machines!

Mine being lpg I rarely use the petrol but to be safe have topped up with a variation of super unleaded (can't remember what it was exactly).

My old boy questioned about petrol sitting in the tank unused for ages and that E10 has ethanol in it which can evaporate as has water and can cause damage. Reckons it may be worth running the petrol down and replacing once in a while.

I had heard similar about E10, so to aire on the side of caution decided would always put premium fuel in when the time arrises.

Esso E5 has no ethanol, run Your tank to as low as poss and put that in?
Up north Esso can contain ethanol but there's no way to be sure. It's just a "might", according to their website.
South of Birmingham I believe it's zero ethanol though.
Why? Who knows?!

Back