• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Yes, mine was sometimes quiet for days, then it would make a fast hunting or knocking noise.
The faster the engine the more noise came from the compressor, but at idle you couldn't really hear anything.
The Compressor worked great and the aircon was nice and cold but had to. Hang the compressor out.
Had it degassed changed the compressor and then regassed and cist me around £120 all together.

Yes, mine was sometimes quiet for days, then it would make a fast hunting or knocking noise.
The faster the engine the more noise came from the compressor, but at idle you couldn't really hear anything.
The Compressor worked great and the aircon was nice and cold but had to. Hang the compressor out.
Had it degassed changed the compressor and then regassed and cist me around £120 all together.
Are the compressor’s easy to get a hold of !!!

I
Are the compressor’s easy to get a hold of !!!
I have my old compressor if you want that to refurbish or I just asked toyomotors on here and I got one of him for I think £50 delivered.
The job is quite easy to do, it's just the cost of degassing and regassing.
Oh and you have to work clean and block all holes and pipes while doing it.

Any ideas on costs of a replacement or us it something that can be repaired... the A/C is working as in it’s nice and cold ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-E...537238?hash=item421bd13616:g:kt0AAOSwSJVavRQG

I have a spare known good one, though have been thinking of using it as part of a system to make an ac system for the living room or caravan.

Does anyone know of the octane numbers here in Australia are the same as those in the UK? We have 91, 95 and 98 at most service stations

Does anyone know of the octane numbers here in Australia are the same as those in the UK? We have 91, 95 and 98 at most service stations
Here in blighty, we have 95 standard. 97 premium and in some stations 99 I believe

I thought 95 was fine as Japanese premium is 96 😏, although it does make me feel better when I put the good stuff in. Well they always say ya learn sumet every day 🤔👍. I to will never use 95 again, unless there isn't any good stuff 😩. Thank you @Karl and everyone in this debate for making it clear 😁👍

lets just say 99 and lots of it :joy::joy: unless you have lpg 👍

I have advanced the ignition timing by 2degrees on my black (2nd) Elgrand (I own 2 Elgrands, both of which I converted to LPG).

Obviously it doesn't knock when running on LPG because LPG is 110 RON.

But it doesn't knock on standard unleaded petrol either.

At the beginning of lockdown a lot of people went out and filled their Elgrand with super-unleaded, then left the vehicle parked up Sorned on their driveway all through lockdown during which the octane rating of their super-unleaded will have dropped a bit as the fuel aged. I haven't heard of anyone who drained all this old fuel out of their tank and I haven't heard of anyone's engine being damaged due to knock.

You can hear engine knock (also called pinking/pinging because the sound is a bit like hitting a bit of metal softly with a small hammer).. At the onset you hear an occasional slight tick noise from the engine that gets worse and more regular if you put your foot down a bit more. If you haven't heard this it's unlikely your engine knocked. I have a good ear for it having spent lots of time during my youth setting ignition and modifying spark distributors to suit engines I'd modded to produce more power (higher compression etc). The sensor on the engine that detects knock/pinking is a lot more sensitive than ears, when it detects knock the ECU retards ignition timing to the point this sensitive sensor stops hearing the knock. This is well before your ears could detect knock but a knock would have to be much worse to the point you'd hear it for it to cause damage.

If your engine burns oil the octane of the fuel that the engine effectively sees is reduced anyway because oil has much lower octane than petrol. An Elgrand that doesn't burn any oil might be less likely to see engine knock running on normal unleaded than an Elgrand that does burn a bit of oil running on super-unleaded. I don't think I've heard this mentioned on forum in discussions about fuels/octane etc but we do know some Elgrands burn a bit of oil.

I have worked on and driven hundreds of Elgrands but I have never heard any Elgrand engine knock regardless of fuel (standard or super) and regardless of whether or not it seems to burn a bit of oil. At high engine loads most engines that feature knock sensors continually advance ignition timing just to the point of the sensitive knock sensor hearing knock, then retard ignition timing again - so you could say such systems are designed to run the engine with a slight amount of knock on purpose anyway (but way too mild to cause damage or for you to hear it)! The system will change ignition timing many times a second constantly automatically adjusting to the conditions which will include the fuel it is running on (up to a point unless the engine is flex-fuel rated but well within the range of compensating for difference in octane of 99 or 95), intake air temperature, engine temperatures, the effects of carbon build up on pistons, etc, anyway.

None of which is likely to effect catalytic converters in any way except for the bits about burning oil.

As you suggest the knock sensor will adjust timing to account for fuel grade, but in doing so the power output and efficiency of the engine will be slightly reduced if ignition is retarded for a lower grade fuel.

Also the additives in premium fuel will aid smooth running and longevity.

As you suggest the knock sensor will adjust timing to account for fuel grade, but in doing so the power output and efficiency of the engine will be slightly reduced if ignition is retarded for a lower grade fuel.

Also the additives in premium fuel will aid smooth running and longevity.
Each to their own mate.

Anyone with NDS2 can read ignition timing advance and see if their engine gets any more advance running on super unleaded over standard unleaded, I already know the answer to that one.

The way additives aid smooth running and longevity is by helping to keep petrol injectors and the engine clean (prevent laquer from petrol build up inside petrol injectors and prevent carbon build up on pistons and in the engine). Fair enough but... My engine doesn't use petrol injectors much because it uses LPG injectors far more often. My pistons and engine don't get carbon build up because engines running on LPG run very cleanly. If someone runs on petrol with the best additives the engine will still be much dirtier than an engine that runs on LPG. If an engine is run on petrol and we take a borescope and stick it through spark plug holes we might see carbon build up on the piston and valves, additives in petrol may reduce that a bit but driving on LPG for 10000 miles will see them much cleaner (less carbon) than running on super unleaded with the best additives for 10000 miles.

Petrol manufacturers would have us believe that their fuels keep getting better and better by their making minor changes to additives etc... But at the same time as they are being forced by governments to make very major changes to their fuels and at the same times as the quality of crude oil they are pulling from oil wells is decreasing (when they had a choice they used crude oil of better quality). Petrol isn't even petrol anymore, it is a mix of petrol and ethanol which has lower energy content than neat petrol. Regardless of any progress made with additives, these days you will drive fewer miles on a litre of unleaded than you would in the same vehicle on a litre of unleaded in 1989... and if you could take your Elgrand back to 1989 and fill it with unleaded I think it very doubtful you would notice any difference in smoothness or build up of crap in injectors or carbon build up in the engine or any difference in longevity. But it would drive just a bit quicker and achieve just a bit more mpg on 1989 unleaded, so could say that since 1989 petrol quality has decreased rather than increased despite fuel manufacturers claims.

Last edited:
Seen the octane comparisons on Youtube. Some, but not all engines had small power increases when running the super unleaded. No evidence that this is the case with the VQ35 but Nissan recommend it so that's good enough for me.

Wow...mind....blown.

I keep thinking, 95 octane regular v’s 97 octane Costco super unleaded....bus wants 96.....sod it, pay 2p litre more and make sure the Elgrand gets what it wants. It’s my big boy toy. If putting jet fuel meant it went like a rocket....well, he would be treated!

I'd be interested to know the ignition timing map on @Lize 's Elgrand, standard engine with standard compression but turbo charged and making 350bhp instead of 240bhp both figures on pump fuel :)

I'd be interested to know the ignition timing map on @Lize 's Elgrand, standard engine with standard compression but turbo charged and making 350bhp instead of 240bhp both figures on pump fuel :)
I chose a tune for the higher grade petrol, they could have done it to 95. I haven't plugged the tablet and had a proper look through the final settings yet but will let you know when I do.

Does anyone have any experience with e10? In Australia it's the cheapest option. A 10% ethenol and petrol blend at 94 octane.

From my understanding it should be safe on the engine. But could be bad for some seals?

There is enough drama with octane rating, Ron, and which cats the remove....bringing E10 is just going to add fuel to the fire.

see what I did there? Fuel...fire...petrol....

I’ll get my coat 🙌

Does anyone have any experience with e10? In Australia it's the cheapest option. A 10% ethenol and petrol blend at 94 octane.

From my understanding it should be safe on the engine. But could be bad for some seals?
I sent an email to Nissan Japan and they stated that ethanol fuel blend cannot be used for the Japanese specification vehicles which use premium gasoline I certainly will not be using it E10.
I have used both 95 and 99 and found no difference at all I now only use 95 it runs perfectly for the last 2 and half years.

Thank you again for your email dated April 18, 2019, concerning your Nissan Elgrand.

With regard to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that Ethanol Fuel Blend cannot used for the Japanese specification vehicles which use premium gasoline.

We hope the information will meet your needs.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI
Customer Communication Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.

Back