• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

If you are running a vehicle with a knock sensor it will adjust the timing on your vehicle to reduce/eliminate pre-ignition or detonation (causing knock) . Lower octane fuel will tend to pre-ignite as it is lower in aromatics and hence lower octane, your vehicle will then adjust the timing and the engine power output will reduce.
Iam aware of this and experienced it on a japaneese imported impreza running on 100 ron in japan and needing the closest available in uk being 99. I ran on a 97 to get home one day and experianced the knock sensor scenario. Lesson learned. The car was factory mapped to suit 100 ron and ran great on 99 for 2 years in the uk. The Elgrand needs 95 or id say down to 89+ as thats regular petrol in japan which an e51 2.5 states. My point being manufacturers state the recommended fuel for a reason. If i was getting better mpg then yes i could justify super unleaded but i never have.

Fuel test

Been wondering what fuel to use! Quite a lot of online tests been done on fuel (link to one test above). All show very little difference, the golf tested was 240hp so similar to Elgrand.

Only comment I would make re text is they should have reset the ECU before testing each fuel as car would have adjusted it's ignition automatically to suit different Ron.

Although I found another test online that did reset the ECU with pretty much the same results, if anything results were even closer.

Interesting comparison, would there be a difference between Japanese 96ron (Japanese super) and UK 95ron (normal UK unleaded), considering the difference between 95ron (unleaded UK) and 97-99ron (UK super unleaded) as tested above in video.

1ron difference between UK unleaded 95ron vs Japanese 96ron fuel.
2-4ron difference between unleaded 95ron UK Vs 97-99ron UK super unleaded.

I don't think there would be more than 1 or 2hp difference at the very most. Air temp, air pressure can make a lot more difference than that, I have seen 12hp difference on my race cars between testing on a Dyno in the morning and then again in the afternoon, (when the figures are corrected for air temp and pressure they corrilate back to the same figure).

On another note Renault, Mitsubishi and a few other manufactures used the same engine as Elgrand also 240hp versions 3.5 L 24 valve V6 between 2008–2015 all used 95ron fuel.

As did the Dallara TO5 to TO12 Renault World cup single seater race cars, they used a 420hp plus version of VQ Nissan engine (Renault called it the V4Y engine) they ran 95ron fuel. They had a Renault badge on the cam covers of course.

2020 Nissan 370z VQ37 engine with a 11.1 compression ratio (higher than Elgrand 10.0:1 or 10.3:1 on early versions, 10.6:1 on later engines) is recommended to run on 98ron fuel, but can run on 95ron.

Japanese friend who used to work for Nissan (race team) said the higher octane rating recommended was to help preserve the Catalytic convertors as they were sensitive to fuel quality.

So my take on fuel is running 95ron is not going to hurt you engine, if it is a really hot day and you are thrashing the car constantly at high revs or have all 4 Cats in place, use super to be safe. Living in Scotland has its benefits don't have to bother with to many hot days.

More worrying is the introduction of E10 fuel, due to hit the forcourts in 2021, that will impact a fair few older cars. Nissan says all engines built after 2000 are fine to use it. Currently fuel is E5 which over time will degrade some older cars fuel systems had problems with some old Landrovers and Jaguars. 10% Ethanol will not help power that's certain, but will raise octane.

To date, no E10 petrol is being sold on forecourts in the UK – although it is available in some nearby countries like Germany and France.
In 2017, the manufacturers with the highest number of E10 incompatible cars on the road were:
  • Rover – 91,624 vehicles
  • MG – 75,827
  • VW – 61,398
  • Nissan – 55,139
  • Mazda – 46,040
  • Ford – 37,578
  • Toyota – 36,646
  • Peugeot – 27,217
  • Austin – 26,368
  • Triumph – 24,943

The impact of E10 fuel - Wengraf - July 2018

Last edited:
Interesting to see some empirical evidence of different fuels performance rather than seat of pants BS. Personally I will continue to use V-Power when possible due to the quality of the additives and the higher RON recommend by Nissan. I don't doubt that it will run adequately on 95 RON but I value my Elgrand and as such like to use the best quality fuel available.

I've tried 95, 97 & 99, TBH I couldn't tell the difference but that was just to test things, I want to be sure my motor lasts so I only use Tesco momentum unless I'm caught short.
Loving the garage Rob. Just the 2 R1's for me at the moment. 98 4XV Race bike and 2001 5JJ Road bike.

Me and many others on forum run mostly on 110ron LPG, no worries about detonation with that :)

Hi there,
Thanks for this info on fuel grade, especially interesting was the difference between UK and Japanese RON numbers showing UK regular unleaded at 95 and Jap premium at 96. So as mentioned it is up to yourself what you use.
Kindest Regards

I only have an ASDA near me....guess i'll be going out of my way to Tescos or elsewhere when my Elgrand arrives!!

Fuel test

Been wondering what fuel to use! Quite a lot of online tests been done on fuel (link to one test above). All show very little difference, the golf tested was 240hp so similar to Elgrand.

Only comment I would make re text is they should have reset the ECU before testing each fuel as car would have adjusted it's ignition automatically to suit different Ron.

Although I found another test online that did reset the ECU with pretty much the same results, if anything results were even closer.

Interesting comparison, would there be a difference between Japanese 96ron (Japanese super) and UK 95ron (normal UK unleaded), considering the difference between 95ron (unleaded UK) and 97-99ron (UK super unleaded) as tested above in video.

1ron difference between UK unleaded 95ron vs Japanese 96ron fuel.
2-4ron difference between unleaded 95ron UK Vs 97-99ron UK super unleaded.

I don't think there would be more than 1 or 2hp difference at the very most. Air temp, air pressure can make a lot more difference than that, I have seen 12hp difference on my race cars between testing on a Dyno in the morning and then again in the afternoon, (when the figures are corrected for air temp and pressure they corrilate back to the same figure).

On another note Renault, Mitsubishi and a few other manufactures used the same engine as Elgrand also 240hp versions 3.5 L 24 valve V6 between 2008–2015 all used 95ron fuel.

As did the Dallara TO5 to TO12 Renault World cup single seater race cars, they used a 420hp plus version of VQ Nissan engine (Renault called it the V4Y engine) they ran 95ron fuel. They had a Renault badge on the cam covers of course.

2020 Nissan 370z VQ37 engine with a 11.1 compression ratio (higher than Elgrand 10.0:1 or 10.3:1 on early versions, 10.6:1 on later engines) is recommended to run on 98ron fuel, but can run on 95ron.

Japanese friend who used to work for Nissan (race team) said the higher octane rating recommended was to help preserve the Catalytic convertors as they were sensitive to fuel quality.

So my take on fuel is running 95ron is not going to hurt you engine, if it is a really hot day and you are thrashing the car constantly at high revs or have all 4 Cats in place, use super to be safe. Living in Scotland has its benefits don't have to bother with to many hot days.

More worrying is the introduction of E10 fuel, due to hit the forcourts in 2021, that will impact a fair few older cars. Nissan says all engines built after 2000 are fine to use it. Currently fuel is E5 which over time will degrade some older cars fuel systems had problems with some old Landrovers and Jaguars. 10% Ethanol will not help power that's certain, but will raise octane.

To date, no E10 petrol is being sold on forecourts in the UK – although it is available in some nearby countries like Germany and France.
In 2017, the manufacturers with the highest number of E10 incompatible cars on the road were:
  • Rover – 91,624 vehicles
  • MG – 75,827
  • VW – 61,398
  • Nissan – 55,139
  • Mazda – 46,040
  • Ford – 37,578
  • Toyota – 36,646
  • Peugeot – 27,217
  • Austin – 26,368
  • Triumph – 24,943
The impact of E10 fuel - Wengraf - July 2018
I sent an email to Nissan Japan and they stated that ethanol fuel blend cannot be used for the Japanese specification vehicles which use premium gasoline I certainly will not be using it E10.
I have used both 95 and 99 and found no difference at all I now only use 95 it runs perfectly for the last 2 and half years.

Thank you again for your email dated April 18, 2019, concerning your Nissan Elgrand.

With regard to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that Ethanol Fuel Blend cannot used for the Japanese specification vehicles which use premium gasoline.

We hope the information will meet your needs.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI
Customer Communication Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.

-------

Dear Chikako TAGUCHI.
Thank you so much for your fast reply and yes the information is very
helpful to me thank you.
I forgot to ask you is it safe to use Ethanol Fuel Blend such as E10 or E85
with the Nissen Elgrand E51 2004.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

Has anyone tried using standard UK fuel with an additive? Especially in light of the move to E10?

Coming from diesels, you can buy arrives that are cetane boosters as well as cleaners, and I just wondered if the petrol stuff performs a similar function on RON?

As anyone had issues if they have gone from 99 to 97 Octane... i drove 220miles
yesterday all good smooth drive as expected....had foot down a few times so fuel consumption was high.. i could not refuel at my normal garage so went to one which only had 97 octane.. i filled up and set off and within seconds I could hear a knocking sound in the engine bay i stopped and a few minutes later it stopped. I then drove 3 miles home stopped to open gates and on restarting the knocking came back i looked in the engine bay but could not see anything obvious.
Left over night and started up this morning but no knocking sound... going to take it out shortly to see if it comes back.
Its an E51 04 plate and as had rear cats done.

Any thoughts ... yeah I know it could be front Cats failing but hoping not and its just dodgy fuel...

97 should be fine. Never had a problem with it myself. When you say knocking do you mean the sound of pre ignition pinging or a regular tapping sound ?

97 should be fine. Never had a problem with it myself. When you say knocking do you mean the sound of pre ignition pinging or a regular tapping sound ?
It was a regular tapping/rattling which lasted for several minutes...
started up again and been for a drive nothing obvious at the moment so keeping fingers crossed for now.

I have now figured out is A/C related when I switch it off all vibrations go away put it back on and it makes a racket and vibrates then settles but with a constant low level noise... turn off and gone in an instant... any ideas

Well there's not much it can be other than the compressor if it stops when you turn the A/C off.

Well there's not much it can be other than the compressor if it stops when you turn the A/C off.
Any ideas on costs of a replacement or us it something that can be repaired... the A/C is working as in it’s nice and cold ...

Have a search through the tech threads, there are several postings about it. I think @Parentalnightmare replaced his himself and did a how to.

Back