• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Up north Esso can contain ethanol but there's no way to be sure. It's just a "might", according to their website.
South of Birmingham I believe it's zero ethanol though.
Why? Who knows?!
I am not really up to date with current practices, but in the "good old days" it was my understanding that petrol supply depots were shared by all the various oil companies and that the petrol with additives had these put into the road delivery tanker before the petrol was distributed to the various petrol stations for that brand.

It would be interesting to know if things have changed. It was something that the petrol companies really didn't want the public to know about.

Hey all, I just got my e51 with the 3.5l engine and over this side of the pond in Canada, the Regular Unleaded is 89 Octane. Is this a bad idea?

Hey all, I just got my e51 with the 3.5l engine and over this side of the pond in Canada, the Regular Unleaded is 89 Octane. Is this a bad idea?
Nissan state premium/super unleaded.
89 Ron is surely just water? Even here in the UK, regular is 95, premium between 97-99. I think Japanese premium is 96 minimum.

Agreed, it seems like a bad idea. I have no issues with higher octane just wanted to know how low I can go in a pinch when travelling. 89 is pretty common around here, and premium unleaded is relatively much more $$. I love my new ride and don’t want to damage engine over the long term with this swamp water.

Disclaimer-I’m not an engineer so I have no clue if 89 Ron actually will harm the engine. The jdm dealer assures me he uses only 89 on al his e51 and haven’t had/heard any adverse effects.

Is it definitely RON that is indicated? 98 RON is equivalent to 87 MON.

Ron ratings vary widely between countries I think. There's no real international standard or the standards aren't all aligned.

Read this on a Canadian Website:
“There are two measurements: research octane (RON), and motor octane (MON). The octane rating that you see on the pump is an average of these two different ratings. The measurements are made on specially designed ‘knock’ engines to determine the ratings.”
Confusing or what? :worried:

So that would be 92.5 which is what they call super in Japan.

Is it definitely RON that is indicated? 98 RON is equivalent to 87 MON.

Great question! Here’s what I found, we use AKI “anti knock index”… looks like a middle ground between the two, and rely on how the fuel ignites for our extreme climates and altitudes. Interesting read.

Read this on a Canadian Website:
“There are two measurements: research octane (RON), and motor octane (MON). The octane rating that you see on the pump is an average of these two different ratings. The measurements are made on specially designed ‘knock’ engines to determine the ratings.”
Confusing or what? :worried:
Tell me about it. I see options from 86, 87, 89….97, 98 and I was so happy that I changed over to diesel. But ever since I switched back to petrol with this Elgrand, I don’t want to ruin her.

Appreciate the help folks! Great forum.

I know this thread hasn't been added to in a long time, but just for anyone skipping to the end,,

I had been running it on 96 octane 5% ethanol as thats just what we had at the local station. Was through in the town the other day and filled up on 99 octane 5% and have some how manged to get an extra 5km to the litre today. She pulled away better and just seemed happier on it. Could be just me but from now on I will head a bit further a field to get that higher octane stuff.

All the best OC.

Well if it's a case of the higher the octane the better I should be pleased , because LPG is 111 octane :p

If you notice a great difference going up 4 points from 95 to 99 octane, just imagine going up 16 points from 95 to 111.

Wow, that's impressive. I will look into LPG conversions today. I know Morrisons do LPG up here, so that is definitely worth investigating. Thanks for the info.

All the best.

Wow, that's impressive. I will look into LPG conversions today. I know Morrisons do LPG up here, so that is definitely worth investigating. Thanks for the info.

All the best.
If you've not found them yet there's some interesting threads in the Fuel Economy / Prices / LPG / Alternative Fuel section of the Technical Area.

No LPG local to me (1hour to the closest) however plenty of esso premiums so should be good.

i get more k's from my vq35 when I run premium unleaded (98ron).. it can be 20 to 40 cents australian difference per litre and still worth it. Mainly depends on your driving style for efficiency. I didnt buy a 3.5litre to drive it like a 2.5 litre.

Esso E5 has no ethanol, run Your tank to as low as poss and put that in?
Those were the days :(

That's now changed so weather forecasters got more chance of being right in predicting the weather as it's actually happening, instead of telling me it's raining outside when it's actually sunny.

Last edited:
Back