• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What is an Elgrand?

Very useful info for a newbie like me. Thank you . Cant wait to go through all the starter topics/threads during the holidays.

thank you for the information.it is very useful, for making purchases.

Thanks for the information in here. Could anyone advise of the key differences between the series 1, 2 & 3 of the e51 model please. I have seen the comments with the photos of how to identify each version. But are there any functional differences between them. I am mainly interested in series 2 vs 3, any big advantages of getting the 3 over the 2? Thanks Ben

Hi we have just bought a 51 surf rider and are awaiting delivery

Thanks for the information in here. Could anyone advise of the key differences between the series 1, 2 & 3 of the e51 model please. I have seen the comments with the photos of how to identify each version. But are there any functional differences between them. I am mainly interested in series 2 vs 3, any big advantages of getting the 3 over the 2? Thanks Ben
The ICE is the main difference between the 2 models, you are restricted in what you can do with the S3.

Fantastic info thanks! Especially the pictures of the dash. Very useful

The Nissan Elgrand is a Luxury MPV designed only for the Japanese Market. Any Elgrand you buy in the UK or anywhere else in the world will be an import. They were never made anywhere other than Japan.

There are 3 generations of Elgrand; E50 (97'-02), E51 ('02-'10), and E52 ('10 - present).

The E50 has a retro "boxy" look to it. It has one sliding door (passenger side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are four engine variants; QD32 3.2 Turbo Diesel, ZD30 3.0 Turbo Diesel, VG33 3.3 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.
'97-'99 are the PRE FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the QD32 and the VG33
'00-'02 are the FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the ZD30 and the VQ35

The E51 has a more modern "curvy" look to it. It has two sliding doors (one each side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are two engine variants; VQ25 2.5 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol, there are 3 generations of the E51 with some changes both internally and externally throughout:
Series 1 - '02-'04
Series 2 - '04-07
Series 3 - '07-'10

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG WITH THE YEARS FOR THE SERIES SPLITS ON THE E51!?

The E52 is basically an estate car on steroids. It's also the only model that is Front Wheel Drive (unless you get the 4WD model). There are only a few of these around, so not much is known about them. If you are an E52 owner, expect to have to answer your own questions, because there aren't many people who know about them. There are 2 engine variants; QR25 2.5 straight 4 Petrol, VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

They weigh 2 tonne (ish). They are not race cars. The models with the VQ35 carry 240bhp with them so they do move well... but they are designed for luxury and comfort, not performance in the twisties.

Once you have driven one, you'll know what the fuss is about. But this covers the basics at least.
Thank you for this. Loving all these introduction posts. Giving me lots of information as we start looking for our first Elgrand.

I'd like to add:
"An Elgrand is..."
also - the ability to enjoy the mid-life crisis people harp on about, and reclaim some of your 90s youth and the fast cars we had then,
whilst also being sensible enough to cater to the needs of your family and other commitments.

(oh, and when the fancy takes you, to boot it at the lights and put a smile on your face and make your heart beat that little bit faster)

Lots of interesting information here, is there anything different about the 70th anniversary E51? (I assume it’s an E51 series 1)

I couldn’t of put it better myself. Having owned a E51 series 2 now for nearly 4 weeks, I am a tittle obsessed to say the least.

Great info, thanks 🙏
About to head over to the ICE section to see if I’ll be able to keep the mini disc (I still have some mini discs but never seen a player in a car before now!)

The S1 has a bar that runs through the grill and through the headlights, later models don’t have a split headlight appearance.

The radio surround/buttons is then an easy way of checking:

S1:
Rounded radio area without trim running over glovebox and behind steering wheel
View attachment 32802
S2:
Updated dashboard with trim mentioned as missing above, joystick buttons at top of panel
View attachment 32803
S3:
Changed shape a bit and different joystick buttons moved under heater controls
View attachment 32800
Really helpful, thanks

Hi Karl, I've been a member of the site for a few months. And thanks to your thread, I now know more detail about my highway star.

Drove to Spain from Scotland without a hitch back in june👍. Felt like I was sitting in my living room 😀

I've noticed the E51 clocks are all different.

In order 1,2,3

Last edited:
Looks like the original post was a just a tiny bit anti-E52 (surprise surprise...)

If any potential E52 drivers are reading though, then a couple of bits of info for them:
  • As the E52 is a FWD the floor is lower than the older models. It allowed Nissan to lower the roof as well to be a bit more aero dynamic. The inside height (floor to ceiling) is only a tiny bit smaller than the E51.
  • The VQ35 engine has been tuned up a bit for the E52 and now runs at 280bhp
  • The engine bay is much bigger than the older models, so it is considerably easier to work on but that does mean the inside space (front to back) loses a few cm (around 10cm I believe) For example you can top up the oil without a funnel and a hose.
  • E52 has moved to a CVT gearbox from the regular automatic. There is a lot of discussion/concern about the CVT gearboxes, at the very minimum they need regular maintenance to ensure they don't fail.
  • The rear windows now open normally, up and down.
  • The very rear seats are no longer removable, they fold into the floor, so the max cargo space is much less than both the 51 and 50.
  • The middle row of seats are fixed and cannot be turned to face the rear.
  • The boot sill height is higher, in line with the rear seats when folded flat. This is quite a bit higher than the older models, and does make it less attractive for camper conversion.
  • As the car is more aero dynamic and the CVT gearbox more efficient, the MPG has improved a lot.
  • Has a three CAT system with 2 fronts and 1 rear, so quite different to the E51.

The Nissan Elgrand is a Luxury MPV designed only for the Japanese Market. Any Elgrand you buy in the UK or anywhere else in the world will be an import. They were never made anywhere other than Japan.

There are 3 generations of Elgrand; E50 (97'-02), E51 ('02-'10), and E52 ('10 - present).

The E50 has a retro "boxy" look to it. It has one sliding door (passenger side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are four engine variants; QD32 3.2 Turbo Diesel, ZD30 3.0 Turbo Diesel, VG33 3.3 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.
'97-'99 are the PRE FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the QD32 and the VG33
'00-'02 are the FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the ZD30 and the VQ35

The E51 has a more modern "curvy" look to it. It has two sliding doors (one each side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are two engine variants; VQ25 2.5 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol, there are 3 generations of the E51 with some changes both internally and externally throughout:
Series 1 - '02-'04
Series 2 - '04-07
Series 3 - '07-'10

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG WITH THE YEARS FOR THE SERIES SPLITS ON THE E51!?

The E52 is basically an estate car on steroids. It's also the only model that is Front Wheel Drive (unless you get the 4WD model). There are only a few of these around, so not much is known about them. If you are an E52 owner, expect to have to answer your own questions, because there aren't many people who know about them. There are 2 engine variants; QR25 2.5 straight 4 Petrol, VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

They weigh 2 tonne (ish). They are not race cars. The models with the VQ35 carry 240bhp with them so they do move well... but they are designed for luxury and comfort, not performance in the twisties.

Once you have driven one, you'll know what the fuss is about. But this covers the basics at least.
I love mine not had it long, but it's great

Back