• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What is an Elgrand?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
The Nissan Elgrand is a Luxury MPV designed only for the Japanese Market. Any Elgrand you buy in the UK or anywhere else in the world will be an import. They were never made anywhere other than Japan.

There are 3 generations of Elgrand; E50 (97'-02), E51 ('02-'10), and E52 ('10 - present).

The E50 has a retro "boxy" look to it. It has one sliding door (passenger side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are four engine variants; QD32 3.2 Turbo Diesel, ZD30 3.0 Turbo Diesel, VG33 3.3 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.
'97-'99 are the PRE FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the QD32 and the VG33
'00-'02 are the FACELIFT models... these are equipped with the ZD30 and the VQ35

The E51 has a more modern "curvy" look to it. It has two sliding doors (one each side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are two engine variants; VQ25 2.5 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol, there are 3 generations of the E51 with some changes both internally and externally throughout:
Series 1 - '02-'04
Series 2 - '04-07
Series 3 - '07-'10

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG WITH THE YEARS FOR THE SERIES SPLITS ON THE E51!?

The E52 is basically an estate car on steroids. It's also the only model that is Front Wheel Drive (unless you get the 4WD model). There are only a few of these around, so not much is known about them. If you are an E52 owner, expect to have to answer your own questions, because there aren't many people who know about them. There are 2 engine variants; QR25 2.5 straight 4 Petrol, VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

They weigh 2 tonne (ish). They are not race cars. The models with the VQ35 carry 240bhp with them so they do move well... but they are designed for luxury and comfort, not performance in the twisties.

Once you have driven one, you'll know what the fuss is about. But this covers the basics at least.

Last edited:
I was listening to the Titanic sound track while reading that and feel calm and happy with my purchase.

There are 3 generations of Elgrand; E50 (97'-02), E51 ('02-'10), and E52 ('10 - present).

The E50 has a retro "boxy" look to it. It has one sliding door (passenger side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are four engine variants; QD32 3.2 Turbo Diesel, ZD30 3.0 Turbo Diesel, VG33 3.3 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

The E51 has a more modern "curvy" look to it. It has two sliding doors (one each side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are two engine variants; VQ25 2.5 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

The E52 is basically an estate car on steroids. It's also the only model that is Front Wheel Drive (unless you get the 4WD model). There are only a few of these around, so not much is known about them. If you are an E52 owner, expect to have to answer your own questions, because there aren't many people who know about them. There are 2 engine variants; QR25 2.5 straight 4 Petrol, VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

Once you have driven one, you'll know what the fuss is about. But this covers the basics at least.

Thanks so much Karl - really good information for a brand-spanking newbie like me! :D

The Nissan Elgrand is a Luxury MPV designed only for the Japanese Market. Any Elgrand you buy in the UK or anywhere else in the world will be an import. They were never made anywhere other than Japan.

The E51 has a more modern "curvy" look to it. It has two sliding doors (one each side) and either 7 or 8 seats. There are two engine variants; VQ25 2.5 V6 Petrol and VQ35 3.5 V6 Petrol.

They weigh 2 tonne (ish). They are not race cars. The models with the VQ35 carry 240bhp with them so they do move well... but they are designed for luxury and comfort, not performance in the twisties.

Thanks, as a complete Nissan Elgrand virgin these are the facts that I need to know!

Hi Karl,
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I can't find where to post a simple question! How do I go about sending a PM to Richard Fox who has kindly agreed to try to answer all my Newbie (researching buying Elgrand Camper)
Don't mean to be mean to him but he seems to be in Holland, is he the best person to help me in Somerset?
Cheers Graeme

Hi @Maranman, as a premium member you have access to all areas of the forum, so please feel free to ask any questions you have in the relevant sections.
@Richard Fox is one of our most active members and I am sure, although he lives in Holland, he knows exactly what's what as he reads and comments on a lot of posts, so you would do well to contact him.

To start a conversation, hit your "inbox" button on the toolbar across the top, and press "start conversation". Then type in the username of the person you want to send to. Alternatively. if you find them in a thread on the forum, click their username then press "start conversation".

Hi @Karl , just thought id say hello, this is all very new to me so i will be asking lots of questions to various people.
And am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss/experience is all about.
Cheers
Nick

Glad it's being used and appreciated :)

Can someone please confirm the years of the various series of E51?

Series 1 2002 - Late 2004
Series 2 Late 2004 - 2007
Series 3 2007 - 2010
Not sure of start of production month but think s1 was introduced may 2002, S2 introduced approx September 2004 & no idea of month for s3.

All from memory so E&OE :)

Hi sorry for a newbie question - I'm looking into the E51, can anyone clarify what the extra names like "Rider" or "Highway star" mean? Do they relate to the different facelifts, or do they signify a collection of extras?

The rider is the sporty model with stiffer suspension and lower front and rear spoilers or at least lower bumpers and also side skirts . But be carfull ,as far as I'm aware all models can have various interior spec levels ie cloth leather or half leather seats also 1 or 2 power side doors, the spec seams to be almost endless. I'm sure someone will post some more advice and levels of spec . Good hunting .😎👍

The rider has different front and rear bumper and matching side skirts... Also has dual square tip exhausts.

Most of not all have white leather interior in the UK.

The Rider S is a variation of the rider with a black cloth interior.

The Highway star has a different, more subtle aero package.

As mentioned all elgrands come in a huge variety of specs chosen at time of initial purchase...

Choose a rider or HS based on looks alone, don't rely on the model name to ascertain specification

The Rider is the model produced by the Autech division of Nissan. Autech produces lots of accessories for all models, but also designs whole models which are produced and sold by Nissan. Some Riders have an Autech badge on the back. The engine and transmission is identical to the Highway Star model, but Riders are lowered slightly.

If you're looking for more performance there are Nismo parts that increase power, albeit only 20 bhp.

Thanks, top info chaps

Back