• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

I'll use it as sparingly as possible and we'll see how many members can touch up their dings before it runs out.

In 2012 i re-carved the dashboard of a Toyota Aurion to house a tablet, i was happy, even the Tesla tablet wasnt around in Australia until 2014. Over the years the tablet got slow and the thought of modifying again to a new tablet’s physical dimensions just never happened. The separation of display and cpu was essential in order to survive the test of time.

The Elgrand screen is 720x480, has three composite inputs (rev cam, side cam, TV Aux) and one RGBS input (Navi/DVD), which all go via the BCM? (behind speedo), and then via ribbon cable to LCD display.
Idea was to convert the LCD image (LDVS signal on ribbon cable) to HDMI, and display the original image on a new touch screen. I could convert Comp & RGBS (OUT) to HDMI but air con temps and any warnings didnt show up.
The only option i could find for converting LVDS signals were kiosk screen test devices and they wouldn’t support such low res screens such as the Elgrand screen. Dead end without liaising with an Alibaba factory.

I needed to retain Air Con settings and Warning messages.
After fitting a four camera 360 birds eye view kit with the original screen i realised i was missing the OEM reverse camera steering lines on the display.
The original screen had to stay.

The next hurdle could be solved with a hidden bluetooth car amp, most of which dont do calls, just music, they do exist but i had a Clarion head unit amp i decided to dissect as i liked the control button (rotate, click, up, down, left, right). The position of which I'm really happy with.
The display i went for is abit over the top for res, 2560x1440 - i was thinking android os with extra screen height for task bar at the bottom (like 1280x720 vs 1280x800) but going over 1080 with an uncommon res lends to some annoyances. Most HDMI devices expect 720 or 1080.

I have two Pi4 4GB, one running Open Auto Pro kinda as the head unit, the other Pi is an Android image (for Torque ODB) but i think a dedicated Android TV style box might be better, just not sure which ones are usb compatible for touch (& GPS?).

Hacking the buttons was a puzzle in itself, surprisingly the buttons aren't all input-to-ground-signals for switching, so i de-soldered the unused small square push buttons, glued back at right angles, soldered new wires that went to a new connector on the back.

Part research and sourcing took 6 months, cabling preparation was a spreadsheet and at least 25 extra cables (7xHDMI, 12xUSB, . Have all the convertors and cables i could ever need eg - the HDMI version of the 360 birds eye view uses the same cameras so should be just and black box swap. Also run RCAs and power to the back ready for a second battery, dedicated amp with speaker upgrade but its not urgent.
Also added the cables for a second new screen as a HUD showing the ODB…
Added IR repeater for any remotes (if needed) in the plastic around the rearview mirror, and an emitter for reproducing any original Nissan IR triggers firing at the overhead receiver.
Will add more detail as i go
Wednesday at 7:12 PM
Hi mate..
Just wondering if I could pick your brains on installing a raspberry pi into my Elgrand.. Ive seen your thread, which is really informative on getting it installed.. My plan is to remove the stereo completely, place the current screen in its place with a double din fascia, and then Using the rpi touch screen and open auto where the front screen used to be.. So, essentially relying on the rpi as the navi and sound system..
Thing is, when I've been looking into it I'm struggling to see how I can connect the rpi to the speakers.. I know I'd need an amplifier and /or a sound card attached to the pi, but then what are the connections that connect that to the speakers?.. I've been on a few rpi stockists.. Seen the hifi Berry range of hats and amps.. And the many others of similar design, but not sure which I'd need. Is there any particular one that I need to look at?..do I need to remove the dvd/navi screen?.. Also, you mentioned about a delay timer for powering the pi and safely shouting down?.. Again.. Is there a particular type I need?... Thanks.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
😁👍

Went for a tip run then down to the front for a coffee. Tide was in and wind howling so covered in sea spray. Then Mrs Stempy had a bit of a mishap with the coffee when a gust of wind ripped the lid off and most of it ended up down the side of the Elgrand. So I've just had to wash it again.

Great idea Madfish :D

I realised that my speakers aren't up to spec, so need to get them replaced asap. But haven't actually done anything as of yet!
Music is definitly important to me... I have already tried to have my radio changed, but the guy told me it wasn't possible - I think he said it was due to the amps?!?! He said it was only 11 and I need 12... Need to check this out and get clarity... How many speakers are there in your Elgrand? Do they all have the same number?

i have done nothing it will be arriving dirty tomorrow not had time :sob:

Wing mirror fixed front splitter fitted and rear brakes almost sorted .. been a daisey day .. the highs n lows or Elgrand ownership and modding .. not happy with the colour match of the splitter and still have one more bit of work to do for the rear brakes 0A187A7D-9541-4D17-89B6-CBD69E3F42B7.jpeg7C2BEA4A-2F76-4A91-8F05-AF3FEEDE80E3.jpegBBCD779C-CC5A-4AB0-A5E9-8F9BD0BC3C1E.jpeg

Fitted the new NEW alternator and found out why the last (new) one failed!. The alternator lead has a very much larger profile than the protective fitting point/electrical charging point etc, etc on the back of alternator. the mechanic had fitted the alternator and THEN attached the charging wire not realizing this. He did up the nut nice and tight thinking it was down snug and tight against the back of the alternator when in actuallity it was about half an inch from said base and basically the only contact was between the nut and post and a very small percentage of the lead head. this led to the head of said lead becoming very hot, melting the protective insulator which then allowed the lead to become loose which increased heat production due to improper contact which caused more heat,which caused more melting.....you get the picture lol..... until complete failure of the charging circuit. this was picked up on the second fitting of an alternator and the charging cable end was reprofiled for a much better fit!
So far, fingers crossed, no problems ( I hope I havn't jinxed it lol ) . Next job on the list is the strut top, followed by a service kit!

Last edited:
Back