• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Just been out to check my radiator cap :neutral:
I was also wondering should i just buy a new radiator cap :D Problem is, i dont like to replace oem with aftermarket incase i am just putting on something that will break sooner!
How to test it? Manual shows by using a fancy tool. Guess i can do the basic inspection.

It would be difficult to accurately test it without a proper tester but you can make sure it's clean, the rubber parts are good and the spring is not jammed.

It would be difficult to accurately test it without a proper tester but you can make sure it's clean, the rubber parts are good and the spring is not jammed.
Is there a quick way to test the thermostat too???

The traditional way is to run the engine from cold and hold the top hose which should stay cold until the engine reaches temperature then suddenly heat up when the stat opens. If it gets warm almost straight away that would indicate a jammed open stat.

It looks OK 👌
I do want to do the coolent as a DIY soon, I dont know when it was done.

Me too. There's a lot of coolant in there with the rear heater and all. I sense it being a bit of a faff to bleed.

The traditional way is to run the engine from cold and hold the top hose which should stay cold until the engine reaches temperature then suddenly heat up when the stat opens. If it gets warm almost straight away that would indicate a jammed open stat.
I had an old w123 merc with a broken thermostat that stayed closed! The previous wonder didn’t know and proudly told me how good it was at keeping a steady water temp, even on the hottest day of the year! Luckily it didn’t blow the head gasket before I had it replaced.

They are mixed in the tar instead of throwing them onto wet tar. Its great.
Wish they did that round here, they just cover it in several inches of chipping and leave it so it falls in the grids and causes drain problems too. My friends road was done and he had to continually sweep up bucket loads of stones for months afterwards. I used to take a huge diversion to avoid the road and park miles away.

Will you apply masking tape as if drag racing in case of tar :laughing:.

Me too. There's a lot of coolant in there with the rear heater and all. I sense it being a bit of a faff to bleed.
I was entirely bored just reading the procedure to be honest! Sounds OK, just cumbersome, and would be easier with two people, to play with the nipples, etc..

The old tried and tested methods are the best. Might struggle to get my fat hands deep enough into the engine bay to do this on the Elgrand!

Lift the front end up as high as you can get it works a treat for bleeding
I worry a bit about playing with those two small pipes at the rear, looks like it would be a good idea to replace those at the same time. Anyone know a place that would sell those? Dont see them on BMR or autojap.
Thanks.

I worry a bit about playing with those two small pipes at the rear, looks like it would be a good idea to replace those at the same time. Anyone know a place that would sell those? Dont see them on BMR or autojap.
Thanks.
Also looks like radiator drain plug washer is not reusable item.

Back